Miller aims for Northern Ireland

CooperSF

Gillingham midfielder Adam Miller is attracting the interest of the Northern Ireland national team.

BBC Radio Kent understands a scout for the national team asked the club if the 26-year-old is still eligible after captaining them at youth level.

Miller's grandfather is Northern Irish and, although he has represented England at non-league level, he wants to pull on the green shirt.

"It would be something I would love to do. My mum would be so proud," he said.

He told BBC Radio Kent: "My granddad would be looking down on me. He would have been so proud. Any kind of international would be brilliant. We saw them play against England last year, it's something I would love to do."

Meanwhile, the former Aldershot and Stevenage player has described his goal in the 3-1 win over Port Vale on Tuesday night as the best league goal of his career.

"You don't always need to take the leather off the ball, you don't need to whack it. I managed to lose my man, there were too many bodies there to go for power so I thought I'd go for finesse. It was a good goal and I'm buzzing.

"It was the best goal, I've scored other good goals that weren't in the league, but it put us 2-1 up, it's a goal for the lads, it's an important win and putting everything together I would say it was my best goal."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ham/7843287.stm