***PreMatch Analysis***

nvager

Rangers vs Dundee United on Saturday January 31, 2009 at Ibrox Stadium Glasgow. Kick Off 3:00 PM.

This is another chance to win three points and put pressure on Celtic who do not play until Sunday at Inverness.

We trail 4 points behind Celtic at the top of the SPL with 50 points from 23 games compared to their 54 points from the same number of games. We do however have a better goal difference with +33 goals to their +27. Dundee United are no slouches and lie in third place with 38 points from 23 games and have a goal difference of +5. Unfortunately Celtic's opponents on Sunday, ICT, are bottom of the SPL with only 17 points from 23 games and a goal difference of -19.

We did not take advantage last week and in fact dropped two points at Aberdeen. Walter in that game decided on a tactical ploy which was to beef up the defence by playing McCulloch as a sweeper in front of the back four and drop our top scorer Boyd and play Miller alone up front. This nullified Aberdeen, but also nullified our goal threat and a predictable no scoring draw was the final result. We then fell four points behind Celtic after dropping two valuable points. That to me showed both a lack of guts and a lack of confidence in the team by Walter. Lets just go for it. We have better players than other SPL teams.

Others argue that Walter's tactics were correct and if we had taken one of our very few chances we would have won. To me though it is rather basic that if you see that your initial plan is not working you change the system or tactics. If Boyd was judged not suitable to play on his own up front initially, then when you do bring him on you revert to two up front and take off McCulloch and Miller. Walter did not do this he played Boyd alone up front. This to me made no sense.

The question now is what system will Walter employ at home versus a Dundee United team that played a long long game at Hampden last night? I think at home we must go for it. We surely must put United on the back foot. I will be very disappointed if we play a similar system to that employed at Aberdeen.

If we revert back to our usual 4 4 2 then who plays? I think the defence will be unchanged, but who plays in midfield? Will Barry Ferguson be fit? It appears so. Then the midfield is likely to be Davis, Mendes, Ferguson and either Naismith or Fleck.

Who will play up front? My guess is Boyd and Miller, but that is very hard on Novo who was easily MOTM against Falkirk on Tuesday. I would hope Novo replaces Miller, but do not be surprised to see Novo played wide in lieu of Naismith/Fleck.

This is a must win game. Can we win all three points? I am not convinced as this team has found it extremely hard to beat Dundee United now for a long time. They will make it hard for us as usual and although beaten after extra time and penalties by Celtic last night, they will not be the least afraid of Rangers. Do we have the confidence to beat them. I am not sure. Will Walter go for a win and play two up front? Again I am not sure. He thought we played well against Aberdeen. To some extent we did, but we did NOT win. I really do not know what approach Walter will take for this game, but if it is not working can we change tactics in midstream? We were not capable of doing that last week when it was all too obvious the original tactics would not get the goals we needed.

My best guess is that Walter will play 4 4 2 and the team will be McGregor, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Ferguson, Novo, Miller and Boyd.

That team should be good for a win. My prediction is Rangers 2-1 Dundee United and that Boyd will score both goals.

Would I put money on it? Heck no!