**** Official 2016 Ryder Cup Thread ****

Venue: Hazeltine National Golf Club, Minnesota

Dates: 30th Sept - 2nd Oct 2016

Now on countdown to the Ryder Cup and players only have 3 events to qualify for the teams. These are the Olympics Golf, Czech Masters and Danish Open, meaning we will know the team around about August 28th.

European Team so far:

European points list- Mcilroy, Willett, Stenson and Wood

World points list- Garcia, Rose, Cabrera Bello, Sullivan and Fitzpatrick.

Probable Wildcards- unless they manage to qualify in next three weeks Westwood and Kaymer will definitely be picked.

Remaining Wildcard pick candidates- on form Russell Knox should be picked, but standing only 6 points behind Fitzpatrick it looks like a playoff between them both for that final automatic slot in the world points list.

Others who will be considered include McDowell, Lowry, Dubuisson, Pieters, Kjeldsen and Donaldson.

Some players are out of form, but assuming Knox makes the final 12,then all players are from the world top 50, showing they are good enough to compete against a strong American team.

One that seems to be going under the radar is Alex Noren. Think he's a fantastically solid player. He's rediscovering some form this year and in particular in Scotland. Won The Scottish Open, made the cut at The Open and was just a beaten finalist in Paul Lawrie's match play at the weekend. Him Westwood, Knox and Kaymer don't go into 3 though!

Think him and Stenson could also make a decent pairing as well.

11 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

One that seems to be going under the radar is Alex Noren. Think he's a fantastically solid player. He's rediscovering some form this year and in particular in Scotland. Won The Scottish Open, made the cut at The Open and was just a beaten finalist in Paul Lawrie's match play at the weekend. Him Westwood, Knox and Kaymer don't go into 3 though!

Think him and Stenson could also make a decent pairing as well.

That's a great shout. Noren has been playing well. 

I think Fitzpatrick is suspect, he is on the team because he is like kuchar, doesn't win much but just steady. 

Think Clarke would love it if Knox were to pip him to last spot over next few weeks leaving him a free pick of sorts.

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

That's a great shout. Noren has been playing well. 

I think Fitzpatrick is suspect, he is on the team because he is like kuchar, doesn't win much but just steady. 

Think Clarke would love it if Knox were to pip him to last spot over next few weeks leaving him a free pick of sorts.

I agree with Fitzpatrick. He's a good player don't get me wrong but I don't know how well he'd handle the pressure and intensity of a Ryder Cup. The occasion may be a bit overwhelming for him but hopefully he proves me wrong. Andrew Johnson on the other hand is one who would absolutely embrace the atmosphere, intensity and occasion although I don't think he'll get the call. Take his big personality away though and he's a very decent player. 

I think it's important for a Scot to play a part in the Ryder Cup especially when he's USA based and given his form Knox looks a shoe in. He will also bring a lot more to the party than Gallacher did last time.

American team is probably the strongest I have ever seen if I'm being honest and I also think they're showing a lot more personality, togetherness and camaraderie. Guys like Reed, Fowler, Spieth, Watson etc are not only great players but they all hang out a lot more and this will be one helluva battle. The depth of their team is very strong. They'll not be relying on guys like Overton and the like. They are very strong.

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

I agree with Fitzpatrick. He's a good player don't get me wrong but I don't know how well he'd handle the pressure and intensity of a Ryder Cup. The occasion may be a bit overwhelming for him but hopefully he proves me wrong. Andrew Johnson on the other hand is one who would absolutely embrace the atmosphere, intensity and occasion although I don't think he'll get the call. Take his big personality away though and he's a very decent player. 

I think it's important for a Scot to play a part in the Ryder Cup especially when he's USA based and given his form Knox looks a shoe in. He will also bring a lot more to the party than Gallacher did last time.

American team is probably the strongest I have ever seen if I'm being honest and I also think they're showing a lot more personality, togetherness and camaraderie. Guys like Reed, Fowler, Spieth, Watson etc are not only great players but they all hang out a lot more and this will be one helluva battle. The depth of their team is very strong. They'll not be relying on guys like Overton and the like. They are very strong.

Yeah the yank team does look strong and they are following Azingers method of having small groups who will make up the pairings during the event. 

It's their biggest issue, they always have cleeks and fall ours internally, used to be tiger n mickelson, nowadays walker n dustin hate each other.

Europe's huge advantage is America's need and desire to win, they have pressure on them already.

The guy who again flies under the radar as a wildcard is colsearts. He is made for matchplay, regularly goes on birdie birdie double bogey but can do that. He is too inconsistent in strokeplay but has shown he can play in this event. Long shot though. 

34 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah the yank team does look strong and they are following Azingers method of having small groups who will make up the pairings during the event. 

It's their biggest issue, they always have cleeks and fall ours internally, used to be tiger n mickelson, nowadays walker n dustin hate each other.

Europe's huge advantage is America's need and desire to win, they have pressure on them already.

The guy who again flies under the radar as a wildcard is colsearts. He is made for matchplay, regularly goes on birdie birdie double bogey but can do that. He is too inconsistent in strokeplay but has shown he can play in this event. Long shot though. 

yanks have never been able to recover when they start to fall away, they always play well but any small blip snowballs into a disaster, whereas europe seem to expect blips during the tournament and are almost waiting for them to happen and deal with them

love this tournament, will never tire of watching the medinah one

i have been lucky enough to be at 2 ryder cups both in the u.s.a. i was there in 2004 at oakland hills detriot when europe won very easy langer was the captain and monty holed the winning putt.

then i was at medinah in 2012 the final day was just wonderful i thought medinah was a grear course especially for viewing hole 17 the par 3 was spectacular

i still wear.ae my europe baseball cap to this day

The Olympics counts for world ranking points, the two Danes Kjeldsen and Olesen could throw a spanner in the works and leave Clarke with a headache. My main concern is the poor recent form of Danny Willet , Justin Rose and Matthew Fitzpatrick. 

3 hours ago, GMac said:

The Olympics counts for world ranking points, the two Danes Kjeldsen and Olesen could throw a spanner in the works and leave Clarke with a headache. My main concern is the poor recent form of Danny Willet , Justin Rose and Matthew Fitzpatrick. 

I think rose is old enough n wise enough that come September he will be on his game. 

Willet has the temperament, arrogance and self believe where I think even when playing poor he would back himself to beat anyone. He is a bit like poulter in that respect.

Fitzpatrick gives me the fear, I can see him freezing. Hope I'm wrong, he has won us amatuer open, played in walker cups and regarded as a one of the best college players for years.

In many ways the European team is in transition with guys like willet, wood, knox, Cabrera Belli, Fitzpatrick etc players who will make up teams of the future. 

No changes in standings today but what is noticeable is the rise of Rafa cabrella bello in the european points list.

If he plays well next couple weeks he could overtake Wood into the 4th spot which in turn would relegate Fitzpatrick in the world list. 

So we now know the 9 qualifying players for the European team. 

Mcilroy, Rose, Stenson, Willet, Wood, Garcia, Cabrella Bello, Sullivan and Fitzpatrick.

Westwood and Kaymer will be picked leaving 1 slot, which favourite to fill us Russell Knox. His only disadvantage being the 5 rookies already in the team. 

Donald & McDowell displayed a bit of form this week. Thomas Pieters as well over past couple weeks has played well but can't see him being included.

Starting to think the choice will be between in form Knox and the tested McDowell.

Can also see some pairings taking shape.

Stenson and Rose were awesome together and can see it again in either format.

Garcia and Cabrella Bello, good friends and could be a modern day several n olly.

Can see Mcilroy playing with willet in fourballs and maybe Fitzpatrick in foresomes.

Fitzpatrick and Knox will be great for foresomes, hit most fairways and hole putts.

Westwood has played the role well of bedding in rookies, can see him playing with wood or Sullivan at some point.

Kaymer has played well with Westwood too but think he would work well in a pairing with Garcia or Rose too.

Be interesting to see who Clarke picks.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

So we now know the 9 qualifying players for the European team. 

Mcilroy, Rose, Stenson, Willet, Wood, Garcia, Cabrella Bello, Sullivan and Fitzpatrick.

Westwood and Kaymer will be picked leaving 1 slot, which favourite to fill us Russell Knox. His only disadvantage being the 5 rookies already in the team. 

Donald & McDowell displayed a bit of form this week. Thomas Pieters as well over past couple weeks has played well but can't see him being included.

Starting to think the choice will be between in form Knox and the tested McDowell.

Can also see some pairings taking shape.

Stenson and Rose were awesome together and can see it again in either format.

Garcia and Cabrella Bello, good friends and could be a modern day several n olly.

Can see Mcilroy playing with willet in fourballs and maybe Fitzpatrick in foresomes.

Fitzpatrick and Knox will be great for foresomes, hit most fairways and hole putts.

Westwood has played the role well of bedding in rookies, can see him playing with wood or Sullivan at some point.

Kaymer has played well with Westwood too but think he would work well in a pairing with Garcia or Rose too.

Be interesting to see who Clarke picks.

wont argue with that if id seen that on matchdays

Pieters certainly not giving up without a fight. Huge few weeks recently and already 8 under through 13. Think he needs a win to stand any chance though.  Past few weeks have been great but he's not quite managed to get over the line. A win this weekend will certainly make Clarke's decision all the more tougher.

4 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Pieters certainly not giving up without a fight. Huge few weeks recently and already 8 under through 13. Think he needs a win to stand any chance though.  Past few weeks have been great but he's not quite managed to get over the line. A win this weekend will certainly make Clarke's decision all the more tougher.

Yeah think he needs to win. 

Clear that him being paired with Clarke is a sign he is under consideration.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah think he needs to win. 

Clear that him being paired with Clarke is a sign he is under consideration.

There would have been a lot of pressure on him to perform so for him to be 9 under with Clarke watching over is very impressive. Too many rookies would be a concern but form can be huge in golf. A win puts Kaymer's chances on a shaky peg IMO unless he makes a statement this weekend. He's not been great of late.

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

There would have been a lot of pressure on him to perform so for him to be 9 under with Clarke watching over is very impressive. Too many rookies would be a concern but form can be huge in golf. A win puts Kaymer's chances on a shaky peg IMO unless he makes a statement this weekend. He's not been great of late.

Aye Westwood is Clarke's mate and will be a cert so if a couple hit form kaymer is the player to miss out but I can't see it. 

Hopefully stenson will be fit,  interesting to see who clarke picks 

Westwood, good record and mates with the captain 

Kaymer, for me a safe pick good for points and I would go for Donald for last pick starting to come into form and would help the rookies in the team 

Pieters playing really well under pressure here. Has hit it stiff on his last 2 holes with about 5 players all still in contention for the Made in Denmark. Playing with Kaymer today who is also playing well. Knox finished +4 over at The Barclays (with a -1 round shot today)......