Yesterdays match....

Snakeater

I think it's fair to say yesterday's first half performance was the worst we have witnessed under Warburton. We couldn't keep possession, had no pace throughout the team and I got sick of seeing McDonald bully our two centre halfs!!

There is no way we can play Rossiter, Barton and Halliday in midfield. None of them supported the strikers and were  continually second two every ball in the first half. Kenny Miller was also everywhere except the penalty box and a few of Tav's decent crosses were wasted. Barry McKay had a poor match and him and Wallace have both dipped massively. 

Second half much much better tempo, Halliday actually got in to box and we started pressing them back more. The introduction of Niko was the difference. His pass to Miller for the first goal was superb as was his turn and cutback for 2nd goal too. Was great to get 3 points and a last minute winner always makes it a bit sweeter but we haven't played a good 90 minutes since the league started. I honestly think Warbs is being a bit to loyal to certain players. Barton was poor yesterday and do we really need him and Rossiter for home matches? I would pick Rossiter if it's a choice. Niko whilst still not match fit at least offers something creatively. If Holt and Windass are not fit we should play Forrester in midfield as he gets forward and is good on the ball. Miller scored yesterday but he's not the answer and he should be coming off the bench with Dodoo starting. Hopefully Garner will hit the ground running and Waggy maybe even back this week. I would also bench McKay and give O'Halloran a run as needs it for his confidence and looks like he's trying to hard at times. 

For next match at Killie I want us to start at good tempo. Play well for 90 minutes and get a bit of confidence before the old firm game. We look a bit disjointed and I  honestly think it's because we haven't got the balance of the team right. Whilst I'm not convinced Senderos is the player he was he cannot be worse than Kiernan and won't get bullied like Wilson did against a 5'7 CF! 

It's 3 points and at the end of the day that's all that mattered but if we are all honest what we are trying to achieve isn't quite there yet. I trust in Warbs to get us back and if we sign Senderos this week we could get him in for Killie game and just maybe he might be the physical presence we need at the back.

In review I suppose it's not a bad thing to be firing on all cylinders after 3 games. I'm sure we will find our feet sooner rather than later, let's just hope it changes at Killie and we put down a marker for the Old Firm game...

In Warbs we trust.....

48 minutes ago, Snakeater said:

I think it's fair to say yesterday's first half performance was the worst we have witnessed under Warburton. We couldn't keep possession, had no pace throughout the team and I got sick of seeing McDonald bully our two centre halfs!!

There is no way we can play Rossiter, Barton and Halliday in midfield. None of them supported the strikers and were  continually second two every ball in the first half. Kenny Miller was also everywhere except the penalty box and a few of Tav's decent crosses were wasted. Barry McKay had a poor match and him and Wallace have both dipped massively. 

Second half much much better tempo, Halliday actually got in to box and we started pressing them back more. The introduction of Niko was the difference. His pass to Miller for the first goal was superb as was his turn and cutback for 2nd goal too. Was great to get 3 points and a last minute winner always makes it a bit sweeter but we haven't played a good 90 minutes since the league started. I honestly think Warbs is being a bit to loyal to certain players. Barton was poor yesterday and do we really need him and Rossiter for home matches? I would pick Rossiter if it's a choice. Niko whilst still not match fit at least offers something creatively. If Holt and Windass are not fit we should play Forrester in midfield as he gets forward and is good on the ball. Miller scored yesterday but he's not the answer and he should be coming off the bench with Dodoo starting. Hopefully Garner will hit the ground running and Waggy maybe even back this week. I would also bench McKay and give O'Halloran a run as needs it for his confidence and looks like he's trying to hard at times. 

For next match at Killie I want us to start at good tempo. Play well for 90 minutes and get a bit of confidence before the old firm game. We look a bit disjointed and I  honestly think it's because we haven't got the balance of the team right. Whilst I'm not convinced Senderos is the player he was he cannot be worse than Kiernan and won't get bullied like Wilson did against a 5'7 CF! 

It's 3 points and at the end of the day that's all that mattered but if we are all honest what we are trying to achieve isn't quite there yet. I trust in Warbs to get us back and if we sign Senderos this week we could get him in for Killie game and just maybe he might be the physical presence we need at the back.

In review I suppose it's not a bad thing to be firing on all cylinders after 3 games. I'm sure we will find our feet sooner rather than later, let's just hope it changes at Killie and we put down a marker for the Old Firm game...

In Warbs we trust.....

Some good points I would say, and while I also have trust in M W, some of your points are about the decisions he makes so maybe he needs to take some of the blame as well. 

We were simply too slow with our passing. It allows the opposition team to shuttle across easily and means the wingers have no space and are always up against 2 defenders where wingers will always struggle. Hence mackay just continually stepped inside all the time. As soon as he does that though, Motherwell have done their job.

But dont take my word for it - here Scott Mcdonalds view of the match:

"It probably suited us better to play Rangers who didn't pass it quickly enough at times to penetrate us. We could shuffle across comfortably, whereas celtic were a bit more penetrative in the way they played and with their pace. They can give you all sorts of massive problems at the moment. They are firing on all cylinders. While Rangers are maybe still trying to find their feet."

Putting aside the standard Motherwell excuses for not trying a leg against the tims - Its not rocket science -  and when we upped the tempo we were by far the better team - and we looked fitter as well which was pleasing. Our style of football is pleasing to the eye - but when its not played at a high tempo and our wingers take the easy option hoping someone else will do it for them, then its easy to defend against. Both Hamilton and Motherwell have shown that.