Berbatov is poison

Danny

According to Venables.

Former Tottenham manager Terry Venables, now a Setanta pundit, has blamed Dimitar Berbatov for Spurs' alarming start to the Premier League campaign.

Venables, who led Spurs to FA Cup glory in 1991, is convinced the Bulgarian's attitude soured the atmosphere at White Hart Lane ahead of his deadline day move to Manchester United.

With Robbie Keane the more surprising sacrifice, when he joined Liverpool, Spurs have been left relying on a strikeforce that assistant manager Gus Poyet has already conceded does not work with expensive import Roman Pavlyuchenko trying to forge a relationship with Darren Bent.

Spurs' 2-0 defeat to Portsmouth has left them stranded at the foot of the table and much of the focus is on the squad's lack of attacking options with Poyet revealing the plan is to play with a solitary striker as Pavlyuchenko and Bent are too similar.

"I don't blame Juande Ramos for Tottenham's dismal start to the season," Venables told The Sun. "And you might be surprised to learn I don't blame Daniel Levy either.

"If you want to know why the club is suffering so badly then look no further than the sales of Keane and Berbatov.

"In a time of criticism, we all want to blame individuals. Sometimes that's too simple. With the sales of Keane and Berbatov, there were so many things that went wrong.

"Among them greed, mismanagement, egos and selfishness. Berbatov kept telling us he had a 'dream'. Well, good for you Dimi, you had a dream with a few extra noughts added to your bank balance.

"But don't you think Spurs had a dream too? Don't you think that when they bought you and helped you blossom into one of the best strikers in the world, you had a duty to reward them by helping them fulfil their dream?

"You got your way but your poisonous presence at the start of the season, the pouting, the brooding and the reluctance to play, has cost the club that believed in you."

Venables also admitted the loss of regular scorer Keane has had a massive impact on the side.

"While the Berbatov transfer was regrettable, it was as inevitable as it was understandable," he added.

"But the Keane transfer staggered and amazed all of us.

"I can only believe the reason Spurs let him go was they truly believed the Liverpool offer of £20 million was too good to refuse.

"But by letting Berbatov and Keane go, without having Andrei Arshavin in the bag, was a massive boardroom blunder."

I used to like that wee cheeky chappy Venables, but this quote is beyond ludicrous and right up there with Blatter's 'slave' comment.

crazy comment. Spurs not doing well has more to do with the fact they have sold their 3 best strikers in the past 6 months. Even if they had brought in the 2 best strikers in the world they will take time to gel. They have replaced berbatov keane and defoe with Pavlyuchenko dos Santos and campbell. Anyone can see they are not the same standard 2 of them are only kids ffs. There are much bigger problems at spurs that have nothing to do with berbatov. Stupid comment especially from someone as experienced as venables.

I think this comment in particular: "Among them greed, mismanagement, egos and selfishness" is a ridicilous comment to make for the simple reason that Tottenham are as guilty as acting like this as Berba is.

Tottenham knew for months that Berbatov wanted to leave. Yet they continued to play hardball by leaving him out of squads and making him train with the reserves simply so they could get more money for him and in the process they lost out on both Millito and Arshavin, who were both long term targets for them.

Slightly off topic but that whole they made you one of the best strikers in the world stuff is also shit. Berbatov was already an excellent player when he moved to Tottenham (how many Champions League games has he played in for Tottenham exactly? :rolleyes: )

Playing in the incredibely overhyped Premiership did NOT make him a better player. It simple gave him far more exposure than he got when playing for Bayer Leverkusen.

I can understand why Venebales might be a bit bitter, but I like Berbatov a lot and think he gets a lot of shit that he doesn't deserve.

terry venables does my fucking box in.

he knows what hes doing.

3 times ive heard him this week dissing spurs and their manager ramos saying hes not upto the job he looks not ready/unsteady.

if he goes within the next 2 months im almost certain that prick will go for the job.

watch this space . . .

Speaking as someone with a soft spot for Tottenham I have to say it's their own fault.

Yes Berbatov is an arsehole but then so are 99% of them.

Spurs knew he was for the off, they knew the fee.

They had ample time to bring in a replacement and didn't do so.