pipe dream?

I was on earlier and someone was saying about sending old Rangers shirts to underprivileged kids in Africa. And I thought it was a great idea and a good way of increasing the fanbase.

But it got me thinking, we all know there's a lot of young talent in Africa. I know the club isn't really in the position right now. But I think it would be a great idea in the future to set up a football school over there and try and get tabs on the good player's.

It starts of with lots of free Rangers gear and the chance for them to play football and learn English etc... You could show them old DVD'S and teach them the history of the club. Maybe bring them over annually to watch the first team in action and play against the youth team's. And if and when there good enough they can join them at murray park.

It might sound like I'm living in a dream world and the reality is it most likely would never happen. But it would be a good move and would increase our chances of unearthing good player's. And overall would be very rewarding for everyone involved.

Would you welcome it?

That cunt craig bellamy set up a football academy in sierra leone. I watched the programme, and was surprised by how inexpensive it was to set it up.

I think it cost £300000 to set up an academy for 12 boys, with running costs at around £150000 a year. They were talking about expanding it and making it self sufficiant.

Although these figures seem high, to a football club firing on all cylinders, its small change. And it pays for itself if just one half decent player is found.

I know we have ALOT of priorities before we start thinking about anything like this, but long term we should consider it.

Theres dozens of african countries for clubs to explore now, and with funding from unicef and such organisations make it possible.

That cunt craig bellamy set up a football academy in sierra leone. I watched the programme, and was surprised by how inexpensive it was to set it up.

I think it cost £300000 to set up an academy for 12 boys, with running costs at around £150000 a year. They were talking about expanding it and making it self sufficiant.

Although these figures seem high, to a football club firing on all cylinders, its small change. And it pays for itself if just one half decent player is found.

I know we have ALOT of priorities before we start thinking about anything like this, but long term we should consider it.

Theres dozens of african countries for clubs to explore now, and with funding from unicef and such organisations make it possible.

It's shocking how cheap it is to run, all it takes is a few Rangers coaches with the facilities to train players. And a lot of charitable Rangers fans.

As you say there's lots of football charities over there doing this kind of thing. But to have something exclusive to Rangers would only be a bonus.

And like you said even if one player makes it its all worth while (tu)

I think just helping the kids over there and giving them something of a social outlet is great, if no players evolve then so what at least the club has provided them with a little happiness and a past time.

Yep. Think thats the general idea. Also enhancing the clubs image.

But if were going to do it, we may aswell do it right. Quality coaching, good schooling. The next Drogba is out there waiting to be found.

theres enough poverty in this country to contend with firstly! :crabflute:

Couldn't agree more mate, but the youths in this country wouldn't appreciate free football tops and are in general spoild rotten. Also they don't have the right attitude when it comes to making it as a football player.