Rangers hitman Martyn Waghorn tells new boss Pedro Caixinha: Play me up top and I'll get you the goals

Smile

10 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Was about to go through one on one and then was given offside but it looked on to me, has been decent every other time he's came on in the last 3/4 months tbf

Apart from the Thistle game (for obvious reasons) i think he has been pretty rotten everytime he has came on.

Seems frightened to get involved.

Say what you like about Waghorn, and i agree his finishing is woeful, but he never hides and gets involved as much as he can.

He played yesterday like a player who is enjoying his football again and hopefully it starts to click into place for him with the finishing.

His link up play was good yesterday and the pass to Miller, who woefully underhit his finish, was unselfish as the play had opened up for him to get a shot away.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 goals last season and 15 already this season proves he isn't a poor striker.

He's a confidence player though. Picking up a bad injury at the start of this season, after only just recovering from the one he had last season, then being used sparingly by Warburton out wide didn't do him any favours.

I think a good spell consistently through the middle and he'll do the business for us.

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Apart from the Thistle game (for obvious reasons) i think he has been pretty rotten everytime he has came on.

Seems frightened to get involved.

Say what you like about Waghorn, and i agree his finishing is woeful, but he never hides and gets involved as much as he can.

He played yesterday like a player who is enjoying his football again and hopefully it starts to click into place for him with the finishing.

His link up play was good yesterday and the pass to Miller, who woefully underhit his finish, was unselfish as the play had opened up for him to get a shot away.

The match before Partick he came on and got the assist which won us the game, after Partick started vs hearts was as bad as everyone else but should have got a goal, only match he played after it was against the scum and again he should have had a goal if not for Forrester. I think he struggles to get involved sometimes because he's pushed out wide

I agree with the by about Waggy though should have had another assist yesterday and his flick for Wallaces goal was brilliant

Some of his touches from fairly central were absolutely class yesterday. The flick for Wallace, and a 1st half one he sold the centre half a dummy.

I'd like to see him paired with Garner and a no 10 of BM or EH creating just behind.

I'd even forgive his shite finishing v the bheasts if he rattled in a good few between now and summer.

13 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

He's a confidence player though. Picking up a bad injury at the start of this season, after only just recovering from the one he had last season, then being used sparingly by Warburton out wide didn't do him any favours.

I think a good spell consistently through the middle and he'll do the business for us.

Pens .Goals when we are winning by a few against weaker opposition . He makes Tore Flos big match record look good :lol:

3 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Pens .Goals when we are winning by a few against weaker opposition . He makes Tore Flos big match record look good :lol:

I don't recall anyone else stepping up when we've needed a goal too often this season either.

Tarriers aside, everyone we face is weaker opposition.

Just now, Captain Hilts said:

I don't recall anyone else stepping up when we've needed a goal too often this season either.

Tarriers aside, everyone we face is weaker opposition.

The same big match record we attach to MW . When a big game has came around he is posted missing .Not counting pens and 6-2 game against Hivs

Name me one goal that brought the house down ?? Name me one goal that can be regarded as memorable and vital ?

Think  you may struggle so I don't expect and answer

Just now, eejay the dj said:

The same big match record we attach to MW . When a big game has came around he is posted missing .Not counting pens and 6-2 game against Hivs

Name me one goal that brought the house down ?? Name me one goal that can be regarded as memorable and vital ?

Think  you may struggle so I don't expect and answer

Again, exactly the same as every other player in the team. He's not the only one who's been poor this season, particularly in big games.

Who should play in front of him?

29 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Penaghorn. :craphead:

28 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

The match before Partick he came on and got the assist which won us the game, after Partick started vs hearts was as bad as everyone else but should have got a goal, only match he played after it was against the scum and again he should have had a goal if not for Forrester. I think he struggles to get involved sometimes because he's pushed out wide

I agree with the by about Waggy though should have had another assist yesterday and his flick for Wallaces goal was brilliant

We really need to set our standards a little higher than counting offside goals as a reason for a striker to be our number 9.

Granted, Forrester should be booted in the bawz for not passing against the bheggars.

Just now, Captain Hilts said:

He's not the only one who's been poor this season, particularly in big games.

So you take my point then??       .A new player come new season .Anyone but him . We need a goal scorer ,poacher type . Kenny can't go on forever .

I actually like Waggy . He just isn't good enough . By a long way

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, plumbGER said:

We really need to set our standards a little higher than counting offside goals as a reason for a striker to be our number 9.

Granted, Forrester should be booted in the bawz for not passing against the bheggars.

These are the standard of players we have at the club now mate, we can't change that until the summer.

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

ffs mate .they should all be putting in a shift .Every game .It's Rangers and they are earing a fortune for the privilege 

Yeah, hopefully they can keep it up. Previously, they haven't been...

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

So you take my point then??       .A new player come new season .Anyone but him . We need a goal scorer ,poacher type . Kenny can't go on forever .

I actually like Waggy . He just isn't good enough . By a long way

He was scoring consistently when he was playing through the middle at the start of last season. Injuries and Warburton thinking he was a winger has prevented him doing it since.

It's just my opinion but I think he could do well for us playing through the middle in a 4-4-2, which appears to be the preferred formation of Pedro.

I could be wrong, I don't know. But I think it's worth a try.

If we sign a couple of strikers who are better in the summer, even better.

It's such a shame that the boy cannot finish as he does get himself into some great positions and works his arse off for the team, he reminds me a bit like McCoist's first season for us in that respect, I had lots of heated arguments with McCoist haters that year as I could see a striker in there at the time, but I can't say that I'll have to get into any fights over Waghorn (I'm to auld for that now anyway), but I do believe he is a better option than Garner and he has now got an opportunity in the next couple of months to prove that he can be the main striker.

As for why Dodoo is has not been given an opportunity only time will tell, but he wasn't given the chance with both Warburton and Murty so that maybe tells me something about attitude in training.

50 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Scoring just about half of those against the likes of East Stirling and Annan don't make you a good striker.

Also, a high proportion of those are penalties.