Pena

cushynumber

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

I think it's easier to adapt going from more time slower paced match than to less time faster paced more physical style.

That's not to say he'll turn out be any good.

I have concerns about three aspects of his game, that I hoped he would have, and doesn't seem to have: he doesn't seem to have much pace; he doesn't seem particularly strong on the ball; he doesn't seem especially creative, in the sense he can cut in and out and create chances from mid to forward. Those are three things the top midfielders have; I don't see those. I hope he comes good, and I even convinced myself he would come good, but if I trust my instincts, he doesn't have what we really need.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Good players fit in straight away, him and the other Mexican are pish. Waste of money 

Cristiano Ronaldo was pish for a season and a half when he came to Man U. Countless class players have failed in England, for instance. Some players simply require more time.

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

Cristiano Ronaldo was pish for a season and a half when he came to Man U. Countless class players have failed in England, for instance. Some players simply require more time.

I'm not sure that was quite the case. Ronaldo had pace, he had control on the ball, and he could cross and pass the ball. It was a question of knowing the game more when it came to him, and he learned that under one of the best. This is not the best example.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm not sure that was quite the case. Ronaldo had pace, he had control on the ball, and he could cross and pass the ball. It was a question of knowing the game more when it came to him, and he learned that under one of the best. This is not the best example.

He was a very frustrating player.. always making the wrong decisions and losing the ball. As good an example as any. There are others as well.... Diego Forlán at Man U. Pish. Atletico??? Very good.

Another thing... there were a couple of times Pena ran through defences and was almost through... he showed pace and power those times only to be hacked down.

10 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Did you just compare an English Championship flop with a guy who has over 200 games in Liga MX and Mexico international caps?

I compared their apparent attitudes and what they are contributing to us, which collectively is fuck all.

It's all fine and well reeling off Pena's CV but if he's doing nothing for the club then it's meaningless and so far he's done nothing.

6 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Ronaldo was 18 and went to Man United. Pena is 27 playing for Rangers.

Big difference.

His qualities are as a powerful runner, good timing into the box, brave with good attacking instincts, doesn't hesitate to shoot. This is what I've read on him and also seems borne out in online highlights. 

He isn't and never will be a silky balk player like a David Silva type. 

I have faith that he can come good and end up a favourite. 

Just now, johanhentze said:

He was a very frustrating player.. always making the wrong decisions and losing the ball. As good an example as any. There are others as well.... Diego Forlán at Man U. Pish. Atletico??? Very good.

They are not similar; probably the first time I've disagreed with you on a football point! Those players had something; with Ronaldo he was very "showy" on the ball, like as if he was a mere entertainer rather than winner, and of course the rest is history. This is about the raw ingredients to a player's game. Pena has attributes, even I can see them: he finds very good positions; he is neat on the ball; and he can score a goal out of nothing now and again, from what I've seen so far. I think we thought we were getting a much better player than the one we are seeing. I hope I'm wrong, and that you're right; I have my doubts though.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Ronaldo was 18 and went to Man United. Pena is 27 playing for Rangers.

Big difference.

But still... a lot of people wrote off the former only for him to become (arguably) the best player in the World. Many didnt see that coming. Thats my point. Sometimes time is required. But, as I said, nobody knows how it will pan out.. Im just willing to give him time. 

Just now, johanhentze said:

But still... a lot of people wrote off the former only for him to become (arguably) the best player in the World. Many didnt see that coming. Thats my point. Sometimes time is required. But, as I said, nobody knows how it will pan out.. Im just willing to give him time. 

The example of Ronaldo is not one I would use; sorry.

2 minutes ago, MasterD said:

You can find examples of anything to try and excuse a player.

Ronaldo :facepalm:

I am not excusing anyone. My point was that writing off a player when he has hardly had any game time is just daft. The players are not comparable, of course. That much was obvious.

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

I know. Perhaps he couldnt adapt? Diego Forlán was pish in England, but brilliant in Spain.

Juan Veron was a genius player who couldn't adapt at Man Utd. It looks like Pena is struggling to adapt but let's hope it clicks because his pedigree suggests he has ability 

26 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I have concerns about three aspects of his game, that I hoped he would have, and doesn't seem to have: he doesn't seem to have much pace; he doesn't seem particularly strong on the ball; he doesn't seem especially creative, in the sense he can cut in and out and create chances from mid to forward. Those are three things the top midfielders have; I don't see those. I hope he comes good, and I even convinced myself he would come good, but if I trust my instincts, he doesn't have what we really need.

There are concerns, but too early to make anything more than an instinctive judgement, that may turn out to be enough...but it's pretty harsh at this point IMO.

People abusing him on Twitter is just awful. I thought its this sort of thing that made us better than them.

Archived