***** The Official Ryder Cup 2018 Thread *****

As mentioned by @Laudrup1984 above this week was a big one in terms of movement of players making a run for the team.

Noren & Molinari winning is huge and really cements their places in the automatic 8 players

But positives moves were made by Garcia, Rham, Knox & Wood.

Ross Fisher has been the big loser over lat couple of weeks moving out of a place and dropping out of contention just now.

Standings as of today for the team are now:

European Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose, Tommy Fleetwood, and Francesco Molinari  (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Alex Noren, John Rahm, Thorbjorn Oleson, Rory McIlroy, Matthew Fitzpatrick

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rahm, Alex Noren, Rory McIroy and Paul Casey (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Rafa Cabrera Bello & Henrik Stenson

No changes in the American team, however a huge move from Tiger up to 28th on the list and in real contention to play in the event.

Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson,  Speith, Fowler, DeChambeau holding the 8 qualifying slots at present.

What a performance from Russell Knox to firmly thrown his hat into Ryder Cup reckoning. He showed true grit and determination and a lot of balls to win.

Another good week for Rahm has cemented his place and for Olesen has moved him closer to an automatic choice.

Standings as of today for the team are now:

Qualified as of today: Tyrell Hatton, Justin Rose, Tommy Fleetwood, and Francesco Molinari  (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Alex Noren, John Rahm, Thorbjorn Oleson, Russell Knox & Rory McIlroy.

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rahm, Alex Noren, Rory McIroy and Paul Casey (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Russell Knox & Rafa Cabrera Bello

Stenson is the big player losing ground just now.

No changes in the American team with Kevin Na jumping to 13th with his win:

Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson,  Speith, Fowler, DeChambeau holding the 8 qualifying slots at present.

One more week closer to September and it has been a week of consolidation for many. The solid displays of Rose, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, Knox & Poulter will have secured them more valuable qualifying points to either strengthen their place in a qualifying position or to move themselves closer to a place.

The huge positive for Bjorn will be the return to form of Thomas Pieters who we performed so well two years ago and would be a strong player again if on form.

Another positive is the continued great form of Molinari, this time with a second place finish at the John Deere in America. Over the past 6 weeks he must be the form player in the world right now.

Standings as of today there has been no change in the European or World qualifying positions:

Next in line: Alex Noren, John Rahm, Thorbjorn Oleson, Russell Knox & Rory McIlroy.

World Points Qualifying-

Next in Line: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Russell Knox & Rafa Cabrera Bello

Big week ahead with the Open and a good performance can spring board players into contention for September.

What a week of golf at Carnoustie and the Open. Molinari has secured his first major title and his place on the Ryder Cup Team with a flawless display of golf.

McIlroy & Rose finishing in runners up positions will also add huge qualifying points as well as great points accumulated by Fleetwood, Olesen & Noren with top 20 finishes too.

Pieters with a top 30 finish has moved a little closer too.

Standings as of today in the European or World qualifying positions:

Qualified as of today: Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Tyrell Hatton & Tommy Fleetwood (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: Alex Noren, Rory McIlroy, John Rahm, Thorbjorn Olesen & Russell Knox.

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rahm, Alex Noren, Rory McIroy, & Paul Casey (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

The American team looks very strong as well just now:

Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson,  Speith, Fowler, Simpson

Webb Simpson has taken the 8th place in the team pushing DeChambeau out and after great displays in the Open Schauffele, Kuchar & Kisner have all moved close to qualifying positions too.

• 3 weeks later...

So with the final major completed all eyes and attention now turns to the Fed Ex, Race to Dubai and the final stages of Ryder Cup Qualification.

Some strong European performances at the US PGA from Molinari, Pieters, Rahm, Hatton, Cabrerra Bello, Rose and Fleetwood all securing valuable qualification points, some securing their places on the team.

Interestingly, with three events to go on the European qualifying plan, the points accumulated increase so form players have a better chance of playing their way into the team.

Events still to go are:

Nordea Masters in Gothenburg

Czech Masters in Prague

Made in Denmark in Aarhus

Whilst players playing in America can still accumulate points but only towards the world list, which will impact on guys like Poulter, Casey, Molinari, Rose etc

Standings as of today in the European or World qualifying positions:

Qualified as of today: Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Tyrell Hatton & Tommy Fleetwood (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in line: John Rahm, Thorbjorn Olesen, Rory McIlroy, Alex Noren & Russel Knox.

World Points Qualifying-

Qualified as of today: John Rahm, Rory McIroy, Alex Noren & Ian Poulter (Holding 4 qualifying slots)

Next in Line: Paul Casey, Thorbjorn Olesen, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Rafa Cabrera Bello, Matthew Fitzpatrick & Russell Knox

The team looks strong and really its Ian Poulters slot which is most at risk from Casey & Olesen, the rest look pretty much secure.

The tough decisions for Bjorn are going to be towards players like Stenson, Garcia, Kaymer, Casey (as it stands) and weighing up experience over form players such as Olesen who is making a huge move and with his home Open to come he may just fancy his chances of a strong finish.

The American team in terms of qualifying was completed as of the end of the US PGA and looks very, with the 8 confirmed players being:

Koepka, Johnson, Thomas, Reed, Watson,  Speith, Fowler & Simpson

Jim Furyk now has to decide upon his 4 wildcard picks, and on form Tiger looks like he may make a playing return. His tough calls will come towards players like Mickelson, Kuchar, Zach Johnson & Jimmy Walker who have served USA well previously but can he overlook the younger form guys like Dechambeau, Schuaffele, Kisner and Finau.

This is setting up to be pretty spectacular..........................................Only 45 Days to Go!!!!

The USA team is fucking frightening to be fair. What could be their main 7 of Koepka, DJ, Thomas, Woods, Fowler, Spieth and Reed is pretty much as good as it gets.

Slightly concerning is the mixed form of Rory, Garcia, Stenson, Noren and Casey although Molinari, Hatton, Poulter, Fleetwood all doing well as is Pieters.

8 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

The USA team is fucking frightening to be fair. What could be their main 7 of Koepka, DJ, Thomas, Woods, Fowler, Spieth and Reed is pretty much as good as it gets.

Slightly concerning is the mixed form of Rory, Garcia, Stenson, Noren and Casey although Molinari, Hatton, Poulter, Fleetwood all doing well as is Pieters.

It looks on paper like this could be spectacular on the basis of standard, form, work rankings and capability of the players.

Really can’t wait for it to come round. 

If it was today I think stenson and Garcia might be struggling for a pick so they need to perform over next 3 weeks.

Casey or Poulter will get a pick whichever one misses out and think olesen might sneak in on form way he is playing.

4 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

It looks on paper like this could be spectacular on the basis of standard, form, work rankings and capability of the players.

Really can’t wait for it to come round. 

If it was today I think stenson and Garcia might be struggling for a pick so they need to perform over next 3 weeks.

Casey or Poulter will get a pick whichever one misses out and think olesen might sneak in on form way he is playing.

Stenson, for his high standards, has been poor for a while but it's a tough one. It would be mental to leave Stenson and Garcia out but one could miss out and I'd imagine both will be concerned. They need to show something.

It's hard to call just now as a few places could and probably will change. Next few weeks will be huge.

For the USA team if big Phil gets a shout, Bradley could be an outside bet too. He's shown some decent form recently and those two have played together successfully before. Would be a pretty bold move though. Kisner and Finau have to be close. Both have done well in the recent majors and Kisner has a decent match play recorded. Boy can putt too.

Just now, Laudrup1984 said:

Stenson, for his high standards, has been poor for a while but it's a tough one. It would be mental to leave Stenson and Garcia out but one could miss out and I'd imagine both will be concerned. They need to show something.

It's hard to call just now as a few places could and probably will change. Next few weeks will be huge.

For the USA team if big Phil gets a shout, Bradley could be an outside bet too. He's shown some decent form recently and those two have played together successfully before. Would be a pretty bold move though. Kisner and Finau have to be close. Both have done well in the recent majors and Kisner has a decent match play recorded. Boy can putt too.

100% correct mate.

I think that if Bjørn was picking today he would pick Casey, Garcia, Stenson and Pieters in the basis of experience and having 4 rookies albeit Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton and Noren are quality.

Would reckon he will still considering Kaymer, Cabrera Bello, Fisher all for same reasons.

I think Hatton will be a star, hescw arrogant wee aggressive bugger and fancy him to fit right in.

Bradley is a great shout too, especially with Phil.

Its going to be superb.

On 13/08/2018 at 21:47, dummiesoot said:

I would take Poulter regardless, his best golf is generally saved for the ryder Cup. After that, anyone's guess. Sets up for a fantastic competition 

Poulter's been in very decent form of late and as you rightly state he's a handy player to have in the ryder cup. He gets quite animated and is a good watch when fired up.

I'm surprised the outright betting's quite so tight just now with the US 8/11 and Europe 6/5. I'd have thought the US would have been more around the 4/11 but maybe the bookies expect it to be a closer affair than most of us might think. Always a great watch for golf fans and one to look forward to.

I've put on a few small wagers on the standard tour events starting tomorrow the Wyndham and the Nordea and wouldn't be at all surprised if there's relatively big priced winners in these ones.

One week closer to the Ryder Cup (only 38 days to go now) and the teams now look more in place.

We already know the 8 American qualifiers, which looks to be very strong and with Snedeker winning last night he will have placed a strong case for a captain’s pick.

After the performance Furyk put in himself he may just pick himself, doubtful though.

The European team has 7 certain players already in Rose, McIlroy, Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Noren and Molinari with their accumulative points on both World and European lists meaning they will not be overtaken.

One slot is available from the world points list and following this week it is Thorbjorn Olesen who is in possession of the slot, having overtaken Ian Poulter with a top 5 finish in Sweden.

Interestingly though Olesen is himself now not playing this week and leaving the door open for the players around him to mount a claim for the last automatic pic in the team.

In terms of the last remaining slot and in order of the standings, looks to be between Cabrera Bello (who jumped up the rankings last night with an 11th place finish at the Wyndham Championship), Poulter, Casey, Fitzpatrick and as an outsider Garcia. Others would need a win to jump as much up the qualifying lists.

On a positive note though, Stenson should some form with a 20th place finish in America.

Garcia however, even with a 24th place finished missed the cut off for the Fed Ex playoffs for the first time ever, meaning that he won’t be playing in America for the next few weeks. This may open up an opportunity for him to play in Europe to try and get some form, to push for the final qualifying slots and stake a claim for a pick.

Bjorn will be having a major headache just now over Olesen, as although he is playing well and is his friend, he is another Rookie and that will be a concern.

In my opinion, I hope Olesen misses out to one of the players mentioned above, as the team needs experience and I think I would want the remains spots filled by Garcia, Stenson, Poulter, Casey, Cabrera Bello or Pieters.

This week sees the Fed ex in America move to The Northern Trust at the Ridgewood Country Club and will have an all star cast playing for the huge prize fund.

In Europe the tour moves to the Czech Masters in Prague and the field looks strong with Pieters confirmed as playing and this may include more as and when it is confirmed over the next day or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Justin Rose, Tyrell Hatton and Tommy Fleetwood all near the top of the leaderboard in the PGA tour Dell technologies in what is a top notch field. Webb Simpson briiliantly eagled the last from around 70 feet to be leader going into the third round. Its a course though that could easily see the leader coming from off the pace to win however its great to see the British lads doing well over in the US.

So that’s the 8 automatic qualifying slots filled.

Rose, Rahm, Molinari, Fleetwood, McIlroy, Noren, Hatton, Olesen.

Strong 8 But 5 rookies is a concern.

You can be assured Bjørn will be picking experience with Poulter, Casey, Stenson, Garcia the most likely players but still there will be consideration for Pieters, Cabrera Bello, Fitzpatrick, even Westwood if he wins in Denmark today.

Or does Bjørn pull an alternative route and go for form over records and names and consider Matt Wallace etc 

He probably won't get picked but Wallace has had a heck of a season!

I think Fitzpatrick and Westwood miss out as well as others like Knox, so it's down to 6.

Personally I think I would go with Poulter, Casey, Pieters and Garcia although I don't think Garcia should be a kick in. Cabrera Bello would be unlucky to miss out and as big a name as he is, Stenson IMO should miss out. He's just not shown enough of late.

Some huge calls to make though.

6 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

He probably won't get picked but Wallace has had a heck of a season!

I think Fitzpatrick and Westwood miss out as well as others like Knox, so it's down to 6.

Personally I think I would go with Poulter, Casey, Pieters and Garcia although I don't think Garcia should be a kick in. Cabrera Bello would be unlucky to miss out and as big a name as he is, Stenson IMO should miss out. He's just not shown enough of late.

Some huge calls to make though.

Wallace wins he has to be picked. On form and 3 wins. 

Bjorn has tough calls to make.

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Wallace looks solid very Impressive 

And again! 

I have him to win. He won for me last time he won too. It's almost impossible not to pick him. However it's still a really tough one. He can't do much more than he has. Bjorn is loving it although Wallace has made his job so much more difficult!

2 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

And again! 

I have him to win. He won for me last time he won too. It's almost impossible not to pick him. However it's still a really tough one. He can't do much more than he has. Bjorn is loving it although Wallace has made his job so much more difficult!

To go birdie birdie in a playoff takes balls and that is what is needed for Paris. 

8 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

To go birdie birdie in a playoff takes balls and that is what is needed for Paris. 

Agreed. He also birdied the 18th in regulation as well as an incredible back 9. My only concern is that over the years i've seen guys like Ed Molinari and Stephen Gallacher produce big finishes in the very last tournament, get a pick and not quite bring much to the team. 

Obviously it's unfair to suggest Wallace would struggle but the Ryder Cup is a whole new ball game. A completely different level. That said he has been fucking solid all season, hits it long and straight, great iron play, can putt and knows how to close. Being at home will help too as will getting it done in front of Bjorn.