Was Parlane a popular player?

On 23/05/2019 at 11:52, slimjim1690 said:

My auld brain cells aren't what they used to be but my recollection is that I'd been spoiled by having watched Colin Stein and DJ perform for us as CF's and if memory serves me correctly DJ demanded to play at CH and Stein was gone, Parlane was then our new CF, and as I said we'd been spoiled and as he wasn't as good as the two aforementioned he wasn't given the same adulation, I have to admit I was one of those who were meh about him but looking back that was probably unfair on Parlane who was an honest and dedicated player for us and has a decent scoring record but was just unfortunate on who he followed into the #9 jersey.

Very accurate description. He scored 5 in one game in a 6-1 away win versus Dunfermline in 1974 and that helped win over a lot of the doubters. I think he is still the last player in the Scottish top flight to score 5 in an AWAY game. 

On 23/05/2019 at 06:00, Brackley said:

To the tune of McNamara's Band

His name is Derek Parlane he's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward the world has ever seen 

He's always there or thereabouts to score a vital goal

And as for Jimmy Johnstone you can stick him up your hole

Nah nah nah 

Sung that ditty many a time.

Much better than some of the unimaginative songs we have for players nowdays.

Did very well when he first broke into the team which , iirc , was just after Barcelona after Colin Stein went to Coventry   so I'm guessing he'd be about 19 . 

I dont know what happened but a few years later he got overlooked for Martin Henderson and then Billy Urquart , which still baffles me to this day .