Morelos new deal.

KingKirk

Rangers have opened contract talks with Alfredo Morelos.

Record Sport can reveal the Ibrox side have been in discussions with their top striker for several weeks.

The Colombian international signed a new four-year contract last March but Rangers are keen to extend that agreement further and have offered improved terms.

Talks and negotiations remain open and on-going with the player and his representatives.

Boss Steven Gerrard is keen to keep the 29-goal frontman and has backed him to overcome his recent controversies.

Morelos has also been in the headlines following incidents involving his sports car and a fake translation that forced Sky Sports into a grovelling apology.

The striker drew blanks recently against Ross County, Aberdeen and Hibernian after returning from a suspension he picked up for his dismissal against celtic.

However, he was returned to the scoresheet in the 4-1 win at Hamilton Accies with his 29th goal of the campaign ahead of tonight’s visit to Kilmarnock.

Gerrard said: “You can’t underestimate the importance of a goal, especially if you’re a striker. To go three games without a goal could have had the reverse effect.

“Alfredo was in the right place at the right time to score with the header at Accies and he also had another couple of opportunities. Hopefully that will be the one that fires him to many more.”

Gerrard revealed he’s held several heart-to-hearts with Morelos in the wake of those off-field dramas, but is backing him to shine as he bids to become the first Rangers striker since Ally McCoist to net 40 goals in a season.

Must admit strange decision this one.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

He must be close to being on 40k pw now I don't see the need for a extension further he signed a 4year deal just under a year ago ffs.

Unless were adding in a release clause or something its utterly pointless.

Why would we want to add a release clause?

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I don't see any other reason to give him a improved deal otherwise 11months after signing a new 4year deal.

You’ve not answered my question. What benefit would the release clause have to Rangers? Release clauses in contracts are always in favour of the player.

The logic of giving him a new deal is that it keeps the player happy, and it protects our position when it comes to selling him. 

If we somehow manage to hold onto him for another couple of seasons the last thing we can afford is for him to get into the last couple of years of his deal.

5 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

The logic of giving him a new deal is that it keeps the player happy, and it protects our position when it comes to selling him. 

If we somehow manage to hold onto him for another couple of seasons the last thing we can afford is for him to get into the last couple of years of his deal.

You think he will still be a Rangers player after 1st September? 

5 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

You’ve not answered my question. What benefit would the release clause have to Rangers? Release clauses in contracts are always in favour of the player.

Rangers would be in a position to demand that fee obviously. Its absolutely pointless giving him a new deal.

I love the wee man but where throwing contacts at him for no reason ffs.  Jack and borna recently signed new deals. Would it be unreasonable of them to be banging the manager's door down and ask for more money come the summer?

Just now, KingKirk said:

Rangers would be in a position to demand that fee obviously. Its absolutely pointless giving him a new deal.

I love the wee man but where throwing contacts at him for no reason ffs.  Jack and borna recently signed new deals. Would it be unreasonable of them to be banging the manager's door down and ask for more money come the summer?

We can demand whatever sort of fee we like. The only difference a release clause makes is that we lose the right to make a decision when an offer of a certain amount comes in.

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

We can demand whatever sort of fee we like. The only difference a release clause makes is that we lose the right to make a decision when an offer of a certain amount comes in.

Yes and under they circumstances the player is well aware of that. Things could become awkward this summer when a big club come calling and offer 10-15million for him. That's certainly rejected so then the player downs tools.

If we get a clause that says 30million and you can go then everyone knows the position.

Btw 30million wouldn't even be satisfactory now if the asking price was 20million 2deals ago

8 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Good for two reasons.

Gives us another year with Alfie.

or

Increases the fee in the summer.

Maybe by a couple of hundred grand mate the fee we get this summer on his current deal or new deal wont be massively different. 

17 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Yes and under they circumstances the player is well aware of that. Things could become awkward this summer when a big club come calling and offer 10-15million for him. That's certainly rejected so then the player downs tools.

If we get a clause that says 30million and you can go then everyone knows the position.

Btw 30million wouldn't even be satisfactory now if the asking price was 20million 2deals ago

That same outcome can be achieved by sitting down Morelos and telling him that’s our price. I’m astounded that anyone would want the club to include a release clause voluntarily.

Would be amazing if he wanted to stay another season himself.

Seems very  unlikely to me though, so  only benefit I can see is that it keeps the player happy.  Or maybe he was thinking more of an early transfer too, due to the current background, which would be sad, but understandable to me.  If I was a foreign player with any club having to deal with the shite he is taking, I'd probably leave as quick as I could. So could be am incentive not to ask for an early  transfer. 

Transfer fees themselves are complicated and will involve a percentage going to the agent, a percentage going to the club,and often with big players, a percentage going to the player, so maybe the new contract takes this in to account too. 

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

That same outcome can be achieved by sitting down Morelos and telling him that’s our price. I’m astounded that anyone would want the club to include a release clause voluntarily.

That's easy to agree on when there is no transfer window atm. Try sitting him down when we've rejected a 15million quid offer from a Spanish French or even epl team am no sure he'll be as understanding.

Written in a contract that he's signed there is no discussion to be had 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

That's easy to agree on when there is no transfer window atm. Try sitting him down when we've rejected a 15million quid offer from a Spanish French or even epl team am no sure he'll be as understanding.

Written in a contract that he's signed there is no discussion to be had 

What size of release clause would you put in the contract? 

I think hell leave at the end of the season and I wouldnt blame him for it. But we are never going to get £25million and the numbers folk are shouting, we are in Scotland after all. Hes worth double that easy if not for the fact that hes playing in Scotland

Archived