Puerta of Sevilla suffers heart attack

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has revealed wing-back Antonio Puerta had a heart attack in his side's game against Getafe.

Puerta is in a "very serious" condition in intensive care after collapsing in his own box after 35 minutes of Sevilla's Primera Liga opener.

The Spain international had walked off the pitch following the incident but then collapsed again in the changing rooms and was taken to the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville.

Del Nido says Puerta is stable but admitted the 22-year-old suffered a heart attack at the Sanchez Pizjuan during Saturday's 4-1 win over Getafe.

"He had a heart attack. He's in intensive care and is stable," Del Nido told Cadena Ser radio.

"We were scared, very scared, for the life of the player."

i watched this game last night, very scary scenes when he just collapsed with nobody near him. hope he pulls through this. a heart attack at 22 years old

Hes on a respirator at the moment.

Doesnt look good for him

on bbc website it says that the doctors have said they are optimistic, so lets hope thats the case and he doesnt lose his life. ac milan (who face sevilla this friday in the super cup) have issued a statement wishing the player a speedy recovery (tu)

Makes you wonder, doesnt it?

I've spent 80% of my life at a gym to get myself down from 20 stone to 13.5 over the last 18 months, but I'm no safer from suffering a heart attack than I would have been staying at 20 stone!

If footballers as fit as Puerta are suffering from them (Man Utd were looking at him I hear from Graham Hunter), what hope do the rest of us mere mortals have?