Murray wants answers from the SPL after season is over

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/05...86908-20408146/

Rangers chairman wants answers from SPL chiefs over postponment snub

May 7 2008 By James Traynor

SIR DAVID MURRAY fears the SPL have turned Scottish football into a global laughing stock over their refusal to allow Rangers a clear run at the UEFA Cup Final.

The Ibrox chairman could barely disguise his disgust yesterday when SPL bosses insisted the Ibrox club play Saturday's match against Dundee United.

And when the dust settles on a season pockmarked by controversy Murray will demand answers from executive chairman Lex Gold.

Manager Walter Smith had been hoping his players could recharge their batteries before facing Dick Advocaat's Zenit St Petersburg but yesterday the SPL refused to budge even though they had indicated on Monday they'd be willing to look at a compromise.

But that was only after SFA president George Peat made it clear the governing body were amazed at the league's refusal to help a Scottish club succeed in Europe.

Peat's group were even willing to consider moving their showpiece match, the Scottish Cup Final, to accommodate the SPL and Rangers but the league simply wouldn't give an inch.

It is understood Peat was frustrated by SPL executive chairman Lex Gold's attitude when they met at Hampden yesterday and it is suspected some clubs had made their opposition to any changes known beforehand.

Options were put to Gold, including the possibility of moving the Scottish Cup Final. The answer was a firm "no".

It was also suggested Rangers' game against United be held over until after the Cup Final. Again the answer was a terse "no".

It was suggested Celtic play United at Tannadice this weekend instead of Rangers. The idea was to switch the Parkhead club's last two matches so that their game against Hibs, scheduled for Sunday, would be their final outing. The answer, once again, was "no".

The campaign will finish on Thursday, May 22.

Murray said: "I don't think we have been treated fairly and indeed most, if not all, football associations throughout the world would have taken a different position.

"They would have been only too pleased to assist a member club.

"What has happened here is footballing authorities not being proactive in their assistance but only at this late stage by being reactive through embarrassment.

"Throughout the world people will laugh at this decision in disbelief and none more so than in Russia where the association have done everything they can to assist Zenit St Petersburg."

The league stuck to their "integrity of the competition" line and Gold said in a statement: "It is a matter of public record that we were unable to agree a request from Rangers to extend the season still further beyond Thursday, May 22.

"This decision was made on the basis there had been no material change in circumstances since we published the revised Model 2 fixture list on April 22.

"The SFA indicated that they wished to discuss whether there was any help they could provide but no viable alternatives to the fixture list emerged that did not place the integrity of the SPL competition at risk.

"Given the stage we have now reached in our competition both in terms of the title chase and European places, it is not possible to modify the closing date of the season without placing a serious risk the fairness to our competition."

Murray said: "Their decision does not surprise me but it does disappoint and anger myself and indeed Rangers supporters.

"Our chief executive, Martin Bain, has worked diligently behind the scenes in relation to this issue and we have not made public any of the confidential discussions despite external pressures.

"We wrote to the SPL on Friday asking for the Dundee United match to be moved in respect of the UEFA Cup Final and the SPL and United turned down our request.

"The SFA then became involved but we have again been turned down. We were not asking that all games be called off, simply one match prior to such a prestigious European final.

"The reaction throughout Europe has been one of astonishment that we are in this situation. It has been a remarkable season despite being spoiled by bureaucracy.

"At the end of this season I, as chairman of Rangers, will ask to meet with the SPL to understand their management and decision-making process this season on certain matters."

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith said: "We met today with the SPL to see if there was any way in which the Scottish FA could help out with the current situation regarding fixture congestion.

"A range of options and issues were explored, including the date of the Scottish Cup Final.

"We did consider as part of it that it would have been a shame for Queen of the South if we delayed the Scottish Cup Final by four days and it would have taken away from their big game and big day.

"There was no question that was an issue and before it became something that we had to discuss greatly it was just put aside by Lex Gold as he said it was not a viable option."

I think that the SPL had better watch out, i think that they have just upset the wrong person.

It's fairly well known that SDM had had problems with the way the game has been run for many years but i think that this is the proverbial "straw".

SDM is gunning for the football authorities (although the SFA did try to help (this time !!) but were blocked by the SPL).

The difference is however, in Russia both Putin and the next president are Zenit fans, I'm sure if Salmond or whatever was a Ger we would get a postponement :lol:

Good on Murray to FINALLY speak out.

Once he makes it known he doesn't like you, you're fooked :craphead:

Couldn't believe that Allan Brazil was supporting Ranger's argument on Talksport this morning!!

:ohmy:

he must be drunk.

That's a safe bet :lol:. I actually heard him say that and we only mildly surprised since he always tries not to show his true colours to the English

I'm beginning to wonder if the main reason that the Dundee Utd game can't be postponed is Eddie Thompson, and no one at the SPL is willing to take him on publicly because of the state of his health