Rangers want £8m for Cuellar

Bakbear

KEVIN KEEGAN will be told £8m is required to firm up Newcastle United's interest in Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar.

Keegan has watched the centre- back on at least two occasions in the last few months, including the Gers' UEFA Cup success over Werder Bremen at Ibrox in March.

Cuellar was the bedrock of Rangers' run to the UEFA Cup Final, and Keegan is determined to land a top centre-back this summer.

advertisement

Richard Dunne remains his priority but with club owner Mike Ashley keen to recruit younger players, Keegan is having to consider his options.

And Cuellar, 26, is someone under consideration. Rangers manager Walter Smith, however, is in no mood to allow the Spaniard to leave on the cheap.

"We don't want any enquiries for him," Smith said. "He has played exceptionally well for us this season. If we do we will try as hard as we possibly can to keep him."

Cuellar was a £2.6m purchase from La Liga outfit Osasuna last summer, but he is understood to be keen on testing himself in the English Premier League.

After allowing Peter Ramage and Stephen Carr to leave this summer, rebuilding the defence is a priority for Keegan before pre-season starts in early July.

Dunne and Cuellar are two defenders Keegan prefers, although there is also interest in Liverpool's Norwegian full-back John Arne Riise and Reading's Nicky Shorey.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo...for_cuellar.php

I would love to know who told them it would be 8 million, I will be gutted if he is sold, but if it is for any less than 14 million I will be raging. :angry2:

It was the way the 8 million was put in like it was a price tag from the club.... what nonsense.... Journalism like this is not helpful

He's rumoured to have an 8 million buy out clause.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that he is probably leaving and although I like to think that I would never turn my back on Rangers I can't help but think that I might should we sell Cuellar and sign Miller!

I hope the main man doesnt go cos he will take our stability with him... he needs to stay...mayb offered a lil more weekly wage and walter should buy a young defender who can play alongside him...

Carlos is young and Wattie doesnt play younger players than him :rolleyes:

I hope the main man doesnt go cos he will take our stability with him... he needs to stay...mayb offered a lil more weekly wage and walter should buy a young defender who can play alongside him...

Have you said anything positive at all in your 145 posts? :rolleyes:

He's rumoured to have an 8 million buy out clause.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that he is probably leaving and although I like to think that I would never turn my back on Rangers I can't help but think that I might should we sell Cuellar and sign Miller!

I will be truely gutted if he does go but wouldn't an 8 million release clause mean that we are only obliged to let him know of the interest and allow him to talk to Newcastle? That is by no means a guarantee that he will go? If we are committed to keeping him then we should renegotiate his deal and remove any minimum fee release clause....

We will be f*cked without Carlos next season... back to square one....

As for Miller... words fail me.... I am still clinging to the hope that he will just go away

I think there is 3 or 4 posts, should I send them for approval before posting mate or should I just lie :rolleyes:

I think there is 3 or 4 posts, should I send them for approval before posting mate or should I just lie :rolleyes:

I honestly think its only a matter of time until Murray and Bain do a deal with someone (possibly Newcastle) to cash in on Cueller. It will be a sad day for Ranger Football Club as we will not only lose a potential legend but it will further emphasise that our beloved club is nothing more than a selling club !!

I honestly think its only a matter of time until Murray and Bain do a deal with someone (possibly Newcastle) to cash in on Cueller. It will be a sad day for Ranger Football Club as we will not only lose a potential legend but it will further emphasise that our beloved club is nothing more than a selling club !!

All they have to do is win things ibn Scotland which isnt difficult nowadays and sell our best players to make money they dont care what the fans think as long as they buy the season tickets and turn up every week which we all do anyway :rolleyes:

Either's fine.

I can't see the future, but I can confidently predict we will NOT win the league next year if we sell Cuellar and don't spend the £8mil we get ALL on another centre back.

Cuellar was a £2.6m purchase from La Liga outfit Osasuna last summer, but he is understood to be keen on testing himself in the English Premier League.

Who 'understood' that then? We all 'understand' he is very keen to stay.

Either's fine.

I cant find any from the 3 or 4 or cant be bothered looking, they were from yesterday I think

So some of the papers said, he will do as he is told at the end of the day

Exactly, I just think its very poor journalism and really appears to have no basis in reality, no quotes, no sources... just pure speculation... but it raises the profile again... not what we want

Surely selling Cueller and buying Miller would spell the end for Murray???

If Cuellar goes for £8 million Murray will have a mutiny on his hands. Personally I thought £9m for Hutton was a good bt of business. But if we sell Carlos for anythin less than £15m then the people who run our club are a fuckin disgrace.

Havin said that I think King Carlos is more than happy to stay with us.

I hope that we dont sell him at any price but alot of RUMOURS going round down here are that its 6 million + Alan Smith.

Geordies are lapping this up in my area and Ive had quite a few texts over the weekend about it.

I hope that we dont sell him at any price but alot of RUMOURS going round down here are that its 6 million + Alan Smith.

Geordies are lapping this up in my area and Ive had quite a few texts over the weekend about it.

Smith is a good replacement eh, thats why I think the rumour mill at your end is sh-te