Our big drawback - Lack of class/quality

nvager

The reason I feel we are all nervous is the distinct lack of quality in the team. Real class. Some flair.

Apart from McGregor and Cuellar we have none. Maybe a fit Beasley. Barry at his best, but that's not happened for a good while. Weir is too old now. Boyd's goals, but not his other stuff.

Fleck and Furman maybe if given a chance, but still very young.

So in essence we have a GK and ONE CH.

The fullbacks are average.

The midfield is/has been very poor. For now we are even worse off as we have lost S. Davis who was one of our better players there.

We have strikers in abundance, but the present lot are no great shakes apart from Boy'ds scoring record. The new lads are a mixed bag. Miller gives us energy, but little goals. Lafferty is all potential and may be great or not. He may also take a few years to develop? Velicka - seems a sound buy and may be our best all round striker.

Walter promised us some class - we sorely need it.

C'mon Walter please do not let us down.

Been lacking quality, creative midfielders for years yet our manager seems to think and said that he wanted more upfront. So we go out and buy £7m worth of 'potential', shite and a decent SPL level player.

For the majority of games last season the midfield struggled to create anything and our team suffered. The lack of quality is a joke. If we dont get in at least 2 quality midfielders then we'll struggle just like last season. Surely our manager can see this?

We are even worse in midfield now that S Davis is maybe gone too.

Maybe Furman and Fleck are going to get a chance - i hope so.

Yes - we need at least two new quality mid fielders. A blind man can see that.

Just hope Walter can.

The big thing is there is time yet - two full months of the window - but we hit the CL way long before that.

i am starting to lose a little faith in walter smith at the moment. I am getting really worried about our signings and targets. £6m+ on strikers none of whom are quality proven goalscorers, signing webster on a permanent basis, keeping dailly, not getting davis yet and being linked to several other centre backs. Midfield is where the problem is and that was obviuos last year. Central defence is strong but we needed cover fair enough, dailly and webster i just dont rate and the latter... well 1 game in 18months and we give him a 3 year deal yet we nearly lose nacho novo who has contributed a hell of a lot to the club by offering him a one year deal. WTF???? We need attacking wing backs, papac is solid but offers little going forward and broadfoot is awful. Whittaker has potential but if he cant shift broadfoot from the right back slot he must not be rated too highly by smith.

The thing is if we sorted out the midfield defence wouldnt be such a big issue. We conceded far too many goals last season just because we sat back and let other teams attack us. We were camped out in our own penalty box and sooner or later you are going to concede when you defend that deep no matter how good the defence is. On the other hand celtics defence is crap yet conceded 5 goals less than us i think it was... Why? I think its because they are always attacking. When the ball is up the other end of the pitch you are not going to concede. We need the quality attacking midfielders that are going to keep driving the team forward and attacking the other team. If we got them then the defence would probably be ok as it is now. I am getting very worried though that we dont seem to be getting linked to any midfielders. Davis is a good player but hes not a right winger and he faded towards the end of the season. We need at least an attacking central midfielder and a right winger. We cannot afford to sit and wait untill the end of the window before we get them. We need them in NOW before the CL qualifiers. We cannot afford not to get to the group stages. I am not that confident we are going to get these quality players in to be honest.

if our lack of quality in midfield is not addressed in the close season we will be runners up again in the league

or is walter going to rely on Barry as being our attacking quality midfielder , I hope not

The worry I always have is that a Walter type of player is a McCulloch rather than a Buffel. I know he had guys like Laudrup and Gazza in the team fist time round but there is still a lingering doubt in my mind that he sees football as a game for artisans rather than artists

We need to have patience and faith in WS - but with his present signings and targets that is getting more difficult. Nevertheless he worked a miracle to get us to the UEFA Cup final, so he is not totally stupid. The football was mostly dire though and tough to take. We need to be better this season.

it is annoying me to see celtic linked with pavlyuchenko and bent and we are away buying kenny miller. Anytime we get a quality player he is away to the premiership within a few years because david murray likes to see the money in his bank account. :ohmy:

The team isn't being built to attack, its built to defend.

9 men behind the ball, and 2 attackers - max.

The midfielders though, are there to support the strikers, thats the point behind 4-5-1.

However, the midfielders have about as much goal threat as Kenny Miller!

it is annoying me to see celtic linked with pavlyuchenko and bent and we are away buying kenny miller. Anytime we get a quality player he is away to the premiership within a few years because david murray likes to see the money in his bank account. :ohmy:

theirs a difference between being linked with these players and getting them, Pavlyuchenko, no chance, Bent, no chance, our signings may not be of the highest quality but who do they have? Paddy fucking McCourt, the shites runnin down my ankles already :rolleyes:

We need to have patience and faith in WS - but with his present signings and targets that is getting more difficult. Nevertheless he worked a miracle to get us to the UEFA Cup final, so he is not totally stupid. The football was mostly dire though and tough to take. We need to be better this season.

- that we do, he deserves it.

Beasley - Thomson - Davis - LM

--- Boyd -- Quality CF -

Beasley's best out on the left wing, its a RM we need.

RM__Davis__Thomson__Beasley

_______Boyd__Velicka_______

would be my SPL side, we dont need anymore forwards.

theirs a difference between being linked with these players and getting them, Pavlyuchenko, no chance, Bent, no chance, our signings may not be of the highest quality but who do they have? Paddy fucking McCourt, the shites runnin down my ankles already :rolleyes:

--- Boyd -- Quality CF -

good post

--- Boyd -- Quality CF -

I would agree with most of that, altho, with that side, while it should be enough in the SPL, I really dont think Davis is the answer personally, plus, Thomson confused me, I know he is into the tacking/holding role, but, the lad has really good technique, and good at set pieces, yet, doesnt venture forward enough for me. Perhaps with the shackles off a bit, he could provide more of a spark? He certainly took his goal well against the tims. I think we need a RM in the style of Kanchelskis, damn I miss him ;)

Depending how he plays, I would quite like to see a Boyd/Lafferty partnership develop, since, we could have that for a few years. I am all for our main 3 strikers being Boyd, Naismith, Lafferty

They have the same midfield that tore us a new one in the two games that mattered last season.

If Barry is our 'creative' force next season, playing the same role he was shoehorned into this season, Celtic will win the league.

Although, as a "creative force" deployedin the holding role over Hemdani and Dailly, that would be far better, dont you think?

If Barry is our 'creative' force next season, playing the same role he was shoehorned into this season, Celtic will win the league.

Although, as a "creative force" deployedin the holding role over Hemdani and Dailly, that would be far better, dont you think?

As a sort of 'quarterback' role? Dictating the game from the same position he did when he was 20? Certainly. I was shouting for that from Christmas last season.

Guest therabbitt

As a sort of 'quarterback' role? Dictating the game from the same position he did when he was 20? Certainly. I was shouting for that from Christmas last season.

Made me laugh a wee bit, made me remember the hoo ha about Beckham being deployed in a similar role for England. Oh how we laughed at that....

I'd certainly agree his bes position is deeper lying and feeding the ball to more creative midfield and forward players

Made me laugh a wee bit, made me remember the hoo ha about Beckham being deployed in a similar role for England. Oh how we laughed at that....

I'd certainly agree his bes position is deeper lying and feeding the ball to more creative midfield and forward players

I don't know how else to describe it!

Roy Keane role? Or Vieira role?

I'd prefer it call that preferred Barry role the 'regista' position as the Italian describe the likes of Albertini and Pirlo.

Not only as its a better description but I hate fake football (Gridiron) with a passion more than hating standard chicken and Scotland being in the union put together :)

This has been our biggest draw back for some seasons now.

I know money is tight but why cant we attract the type of player we could 5 - 10 years ago?

Numan, Gio, Reyna etc....

Having reached a major European final you would think quality players would want to play for us. Its just a shame we used negative football and put people off us!

We just need a 1 or 2 quality players and the jigsaw will be complete!

Guest therabbitt

I don't know how else to describe it!

Roy Keane role? Or Vieira role?

A creative water carrier?? Ha Ha

It is a tough one to describe - agree with Boabs sentiments and comparison to Andrea Pirlo - he's the master of the art at the moment in world football

It is a tough one to describe - agree with Boabs sentiments and comparison to Andrea Pirlo - he's the master of the art at the moment in world football

(tu)

It did used to be:

Barry Arteta

De Boer

After all

Pirlo wont be coming here - Walter prefers Lee McCulloch!

Sadly Walter still sees something in Lee that no-one else does.

We badly need an injection of class and until that happens we will struggle in every game.