Do we focus too much on name and not ability?

Danny

This one is a bit deeper than our usual formation, signings and tactics-style threads. I'm looking more at how we mentally capture what players actually are, and how we big them up in our minds in a way beyond what they are humanly capable of.

Take JCD - we're being, on the whole, very positive about what he can bring to Ibrox - his strength, pace and supporting qualities as well as goals. And yet, when we actually see him play for us, he will be a mere footballer who will look human and will make mistakes, and show fallibility - he'll run with the ball and a defender will take it from him, and we'll all yell abuse from the terraces. And yet, this happens to the very best; we see players like Kaka lose the ball plenty of times, we see him miss by miles when he shoots, and we see him getting frustrated. But, because he is Kaka, we overlook the weaknesses and the times he looks totally mortal.

And then add to that the fact we still look optimistically ahead to these shiny new players, and we amalgamate them with the players we already have, and we try to look at the positives and again, we forget about human fallibility - we mentally picture Rangers as a single entity, an entity, a machine which represents us fans, and we can't wait to see the cogs in action, showing the world how special Rangers are.

We overlook all the little mistakes in our minds.

But on the opening day of the season, we will once again scream at whoever for passing to him and not him, and for shooting then and not now, and for hitting row z and not the back of the net - we will cut little slack to these human beings because as soon as we accept they're human, and not more than human, we have to lower our expectations of what they can do for us. So, instead, we give them pelters if they make mistakes.

In short, what I am saying is that football is a much more perfect entity and footballers are more perfect in our minds and imaginations than it is and they are on the pitch.

/ramble over.

Good post, perfect example is Flo - Big name, big price tag, big wages. Got more than a goal every other game ratio, yet due to said factors, it wasn't enough.

Fantastic reply - totally summed it up perfectly actually (tu)

Good post, perfect example is Flo - Big name, big price tag, big wages. Got more than a goal every other game ratio, yet due to said factors, it wasn't enough.

Thread over...........

Gow also springs to mind, Danny.

Thread over...........

:lol:

My bad....

Thread over...........

:lol:

My bad....

You did manage to say in 2 sentences what I struggled to express in 19 paragraphs ;)

This one is a bit deeper than our usual formation, signings and tactics-style threads. I'm looking more at how we mentally capture what players actually are, and how we big them up in our minds in a way beyond what they are humanly capable of.

Take JCD - we're being, on the whole, very positive about what he can bring to Ibrox - his strength, pace and supporting qualities as well as goals. And yet, when we actually see him play for us, he will be a mere footballer who will look human and will make mistakes, and show fallibility - he'll run with the ball and a defender will take it from him, and we'll all yell abuse from the terraces. And yet, this happens to the very best; we see players like Kaka lose the ball plenty of times, we see him miss by miles when he shoots, and we see him getting frustrated. But, because he is Kaka, we overlook the weaknesses and the times he looks totally mortal.

And then add to that the fact we still look optimistically ahead to these shiny new players, and we amalgamate them with the players we already have, and we try to look at the positives and again, we forget about human fallibility - we mentally picture Rangers as a single entity, an entity, a machine which represents us fans, and we can't wait to see the cogs in action, showing the world how special Rangers are.

We overlook all the little mistakes in our minds.

But on the opening day of the season, we will once again scream at whoever for passing to him and not him, and for shooting then and not now, and for hitting row z and not the back of the net - we will cut little slack to these human beings because as soon as we accept they're human, and not more than human, we have to lower our expectations of what they can do for us. So, instead, we give them pelters if they make mistakes.

In short, what I am saying is that football is a much more perfect entity and footballers are more perfect in our minds and imaginations than it is and they are on the pitch.

/ramble over.

Another example is that of Kris Boyd- 400k signing and Scottish - he plays very very average at times, but gets let off somewhat for lack of effort.

McGregor is another - has made mistakes a plenty - but he is a young scottish keeper so his mistakes are shrugged off - whereas when the perm was throwing them in he was getting slated from the fans - and rightly so

The guys i have felt sorry for are all the guys we have played on the right since laudrup - how many players have been the new laudrup - quite a bunch - and when the fans dont see them doing the same things that Kind Brian did, they got heaps of abuse.

To err is human and players are certainly that.

I think if people would just wait and see and then support the new player and gradually get the true picture of his worth things would be `easier all round.

Thomson for example took quite a time to settle, but WS did not rush him and the team was grinding out results anyway. That is the best way to go, but unfortunately when a team is losing a la PLG then the fans look for scapegoats or underachievers and some player's carreers go downhill fast as the pressure builds.

That it is human nature after all.

Furthermore after such a build up for PLG and expectations SO high looking back it was almost inevitable what happened.

The expectations are not there any more so there is hope again.

Keep believing!!

To err is human and players are certainly that.

I somehow think we forget it though, especially when we're paying them thousands and potentially paid millions to sign them.

I think if people would just wait and see and then support the new player and gradually get the true picture of his worth things would be `easier all round.

Thomson for example took quite a time to settle, but WS did not rush him and the team was grinding out results anyway. That is the best way to go, but unfortunately when a team is losing a la PLG then the fans look for scapegoats or underachievers and some player's carreers go downhill fast as the pressure builds.

That it is human nature after all.

Furthermore after such a build up for PLG and expectations SO high looking back it was almost inevitable what happened.

The expectations are not there any more so there is hope again.

Keep believing!!

Believing is pretty much the problem. Believing is psychological, not actual, and you find yourself mentally envisaging exactly what you want and expect. And very rarely do you get to see that.

Look at it this way:

----------------AM

Hutton-----Weir-----Webster-----Murray

Faubert---Barry----Thomson-----Beasley

------------JCD

----------------------Boyd

Regardless of whether we sign two of those players, you look at that formation and you encapsulate it as a single entity, a being with a shape, with individual components who will facilitate smooth and successful football.

The mortal side of erring as a human is always forgotten, and so when it happens, frustration follows.

That is always the truth Danny, though we often neglect to acknowledge it. I think it's easier for fans who don't actually play or haven't played to fall into that trap, but we are all guilty of overlooking human fallibility on the pitch at one time or another. As far as screaming at players when a pass goes here and not there - we can all look like wizards in our seats because we have a much better view of the whole scenario and are not embroiled in the battle up close. That's another case where our own fallibility comes into the picture.