Mendes and Novo on the mend

Muff

WALTER SMITH has moved to allay fears Pedro Mendes will miss the League Cup final with Celtic and says he could return to action against Hamilton on Sunday.

The Portuguese midfielder dropped out of the Rangers side that beat Accies 1-0 in the SPL at the weekend with a thigh strain.

A scan has highlighted some minor tissue damage but there is no tear and it's only a short-term problem that won't keep the ex-Portsmouth star out for long.

Indeed, he is poised to return to training later this week and should be in contention for the Scottish Cup tie five days from now.

Even if he doesn't play in that game, he'll still have a week to prepare for the Old Firm showdown on March 15 at Hampden and will almost certainly be fit for that.

Smith said: "We will see how Pedro recovers. He only has torn fibres and the scan showed there was no tear in his muscle.

"It's just a matter of when his injury settles down. I think the Inverness game will come too early for him on Wednesday but we're hopeful he'll be back on Sunday.

"It is unusual for Pedro to get an injury and he'll be disappointed at dropping out of the team a couple of days ago.

"We were disappointed to lose him too but he'll come back and I'm sure everything will be okay."

Another player likely to be back in the squad at the weekend is Nacho Novo, who has missed the last month with an ankle knock.

He has been given the green light to resume full training but after hoping to play Inverness on Wednesday night, it's more likely he'll be in the squad on Sunday.

Smith added: "The Caley Thistle match might come a little bit too soon for Nacho as well and we'll see what the situation is there over the next couple of days.

"He is certainly ready to rejoin the squad again for training but we'll make sure he is fully fit before putting him back in the team again.

"If he is not ready to play against Inverness, he'll certainly be fit for the tie with Hamilton at the weekend."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1575377,00.html

Brilliant news, having both Novo and Mendes back for the Cup final is a major boost - I feared Mendes would have been out for longer.

Although I wouldn't even bother risking Mendes on Sunday.

I don't think Walter will be planning on risking Mendes against Hamilton, he is just using the fact that he should be fit for the match as a way of quelling any fears regarding the Celtic game. Edu will be more than capable of filling-in against Inverness and Hamilton.

It would be beneficial for Novo though if he could get some minutes under his belt at the weekend. I doubt he will start against Celtic but you need him to be sharp all the same.

I think he'll start this one - my only fears are McCulloch being back for this match. Is he back in training yet?

Just aslong as he doesn't start Lafferty wide left or Boyd upfront.

I think he'll start this one - my only fears are McCulloch being back for this match. Is he back in training yet?

Just aslong as he doesn't start Lafferty wide left or Boyd upfront.

Not heard anything about McCulloch, but if he is fit then i have no doubt that he will play as the holding midfielder in the final. The fact that he had a decent game at Parkhead will make him an obvious choice for Walter.

As for Novo, i would prefer him to be played through the middle. Celtic have a clear problem in dealing with small, pacey strikers. If anyone was to play the lone striker role against Celtic i would have Novo.

How difficult is it to see that Celtic are bluddy terrible with pace and fast passing around their 4 lumps that they call a defence!!!

He has got to play Novo & Miller & even Naismith on the left ... Strickers we lose a place because we need fergie, mendes and davis..... left slot - novo - upfront miller and boyd maybe....