Bougherra

BryanRfc

MADJID BOUGHERRA has revealed he snubbed a bumper offer to quit Rangers and double his wages at Newcastle.

The Ibrox defender turned down a big-money move to the Premier League strugglers in January.

Toon manager Joe Kinnear lodged an interest in the £2.5million Algerian ace.

Bougherra said: “I joined Charlton as I wanted to get into the Premier League quickly, but I ended up being relegated.

“I’ve had a repeat scenario this season. Six perfect months with Rangers, then Newcastle came in for me. Like Charlton were, they are in the Premier League, but fighting to stay up. I did not want to make the same mistake again.

“I want to end the season with Rangers and savour it, knowing I can play my game and enjoy the manager’s full confidence in me.

“I can only improve. I’m enjoying myself at Rangers, and I don’t see why I should leave.

“I could make twice as much money at Newcastle as Rangers don’t pay me much more than what I was on at Charlton. I am not among their best-paid players, but in sporting terms I am at a big club and I am happy with what I’ve got.

“We get 50,000 crowds for every home game, and we are in Europe every year — apart from this season.

“Okay, the SPL is not the best league in the world. There are three or four good sides, but the rest are not great.

“My heart is with Rangers. I want to stay with them for another season at the very least.

“I have climbed the ladder. It would be illogical for me to leave Rangers for a club struggling to stay up, knowing I will play European football next season.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2316983.ece