One Scotland - Many Cultures ?

D'Artagnan

I scoured the rags this morning looking for some sort of condemnation...particularly the Times where the sharp eared Speirs lurks...but alas - nothing.

Undeterred.... I searched the SFA website hoping that George Peat would be as good as his word and apply the same criteria to other clubs as he did to Rangers over the Famine Song....but, alas, again my search was in vain.

Finally I thought Id found it...a piccy of John Reid and an article...this this must BE IT ! But sadly.... it was not to be. Just a short article about hm urging the Celtic players to enjoy the briefest of celebrations after their League Cup Final triumph and to keep their eye firmly on the task of winning the League.

A trawl of "Around Parliament" proved equally fruitlless....as did a search of the Strathclyde Police website. Nothing. Not a jot.

But I heard it as clearly as clear can be. On Sunday the tims were singing "Go Home ya h***"

Can someone tell me please what the difference is between "Go Home ya h***" and "the famine is over why dont you go home ?"

Where is the condemnatory articles from Speirs ? The letters of concern from offended Irish MP's ? Why is George Peat not making public statements threatening action ?

And Dr John

""But we are not complacent. I would again condemn, without equivocation, the use of any chants or songs which can be interpreted as support for religious or ethnic hatred, or for acts of violence."

Reid.....where is your condemnation without equivocation ?

Perhaps more significantly will OUR chairman go public to condemn such a song ?

One Scotland - Many Cultures ?

Don't ever expect Provo Reid to condemn that shite or even apologise for his own republican views.

We're on our own D'Art and that's why i've always said,as a support we have to stand up and sing the Billy boys,The Famine song etc and then challenge them to find the sectarian elements in them and for them to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

For too long we have bent over and taken what they give us without complaint but the time is now to fight like Bears of the past would have done..this is our right as British citizens.....Islamists can call our brave soldiers baby killers,Celtic fans can sing songs glorifying banned terror groups killing British soldiers and policemen yet we cant sing songs about our history or fly flags of our nation without facing arrest or intimidation from the police and our own club.

Until we stand up and fight they will walk over us and they will laugh as they sing their rebel shite.

Don't ever expect Provo Reid to condemn that shite or even apologise for his own republican views.

We're on our own D'Art and that's why i've always said,as a support we have to stand up and sing the Billy boys,The Famine song etc and then challenge them to find the sectarian elements in them and for them to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

For too long we have bent over and taken what they give us without complaint but the time is now to fight like Bears of the past would have done..this is our right as British citizens.....Islamists can call our brave soldiers baby killers,Celtic fans can sing songs glorifying banned terror groups killing British soldiers and policemen yet we cant sing songs about our history or fly flags of our nation without facing arrest or intimidation from the police and our own club.

Until we stand up and fight they will walk over us and they will laugh as they sing their rebel shite.

Might I respectfully suggest Gaff...that its unacceptable that we are on our own ?

Where is the parity ? Where is the even handed application of the law ?

You are right - it is time to fight. The first round will involve shaking the apathy from Bears who appear to be apathetic and unconcerned at the injustice being meted out to us.

Yes it's totally unacceptable that we're on our own.

We have to fight for an even handed application of the law,we have sat back and basically said"ok if you say the billy boys is sectarian we won't do it again...oh and the Famine song ok then..oh we won't fly Union flags or Ulster flags either...ok oh thank you first minister,chief constable,mr Murray and editor of the Record for enlightening us and showing us the wickedness of our ways"

Yes it's totally unacceptable that we're on our own.

We have to fight for an even handed application of the law,we have sat back and basically said"ok if you say the billy boys is sectarian we won't do it again...oh and the Famine song ok then..oh we won't fly Union flags or Ulster flags either...ok oh thank you first minister,chief constable,mr Murray and editor of the Record for enlightening us and showing us the wickedness of our ways"

Sat back way too long. Way way too long.

Yes D'Art, it is unacceptable that there is such an imbalance in this country when it comes to condemnation of the Rangers support.

And there is absolutely no doubt that nothing will be said about their singing on Sunday, nothing about their "Stand up for the IRA" or the waving of pizza boxes (insult to the two dead British soldiers) or the use of the word "h**". And there is no doubt that had Celtic lost the papers would be full of condemnation for our rendition of the Famine Song, or the faint tones of TBB.

Yet this is what we have come to expect, it is predictable. You talk of waking the apathetic support to become more staunch in defending our songs, but as far as i can see the support is only becoming more apathetic as time goes by. Most are willing to give-up every song that the media find unacceptable. I am certain that should we come under criticism for The Sash or Derry's Walls most of the support will be willing to stop singing them, just to please the MOPES.

I admire your fighting spirit D'Art, i always have. But i am now of the oppinion that there is no way back for the majority of our support. We have been travelling down the route of apathy and appeasement too long for us to about turn. Call me a pescimist.

Yes D'Art, it is unacceptable that there is such an imbalance in this country when it comes to condemnation of the Rangers support.

And there is absolutely no doubt that nothing will be said about their singing on Sunday, nothing about their "Stand up for the IRA" or the waving of pizza boxes (insult to the two dead British soldiers) or the use of the word "h**". And there is no doubt that had Celtic lost the papers would be full of condemnation for our rendition of the Famine Song, or the faint tones of TBB.

Yet this is what we have come to expect, it is predictable. You talk of waking the apathetic support to become more staunch in defending our songs, but as far as i can see the support is only becoming more apathetic as time goes by. Most are willing to give-up every song that the media find unacceptable. I am certain that should we come under criticism for The Sash or Derry's Walls most of the support will be willing to stop singing them, just to please the MOPES.

I admire your fighting spirit D'Art, i always have. But i am now of the oppinion that there is no way back for the majority of our support. We have been travelling down the route of apathy and appeasement too long for us to about turn. Call me a pescimist.

The situation I accept is dire.

When I was close to completing my Commando training we had an address from the camp adjutant to prepare us for the tough times ahead. One phrase in particular has stuck with me all my life...

"When you are up to your arsehole in crocodiles, and you think all hope is lost, remember your forebearers who have experienced such trials and emerged from it stronger and victorious"

I dont believe we should lose either our hope, vision or desire for equality, parity and fair treatment, for at the heart of these ideals always lies truth and justice.

But I feel the greatest threat to us failing to achieve that is not our enemies.....but the apathy within the Rangers support.