We need a "hole" player

wallaceIII

Fleck or aaron look more than capable with players like ferguson/davis/mendes behind them, especially seeing as we lack any width

playing this couldnt do any harm

Davis Ferguson Mendes

Fleck

Lafferty Miller

If its fails Fleck can move out wide

I certainly don't think Aaron is capable of playing the role. He hasn't done anything to suggest he is.

I admit i haven't seen too much of Fleck playing for the reserves but some say he has played just off the strikers before. Looking at Johns scoring record for the reserves, well it isn't too great. Perhaps he's more of a creater and his finishing ability will improve as he picks up more experience. Again though it comes down to is he ready? I'm not so sure.

Personally atm if i was going to play Fleck i'd start him on the left.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are not going to agree are you, against Hamilton, even though some people said he had a poor game, he was still picking the ball up and running past players, running forward with the ball effectively for long periods. Something a lot of our players cant do, our players might get past one player with a burst of speed before they run out of ideas, players like fleck and aaron have showed they can keep going and it sets them apart from the rest of the dross. They should be more than capable of playing there, especially aaron who excelled their for his national team

Well you are not going to agree are you, against Hamilton, even though some people said he had a poor game, he was still picking the ball up and running past players, running forward with the ball effectively for long periods. Something a lot of our players cant do, our players might get past one player with a burst of speed before they run out of ideas, players like fleck and aaron have showed they can keep going and it sets them apart from the rest of the dross. They should be more than capable of playing there, especially aaron who excelled their for his national team

He was terrible against Hamilton, his simple passing was awful, his crossing was awful, and his al round game was horrendous.

I fail to remember a time during the whole game when he actually beat the full back, i'm starting to even think he may lack pace.

The boy can be good next season but he's definetly not ready atm.

I certainly don't think Aaron is capable of playing the role. He hasn't done anything to suggest he is.

Just coincedence that all of his international and club managers before Smith have thought he is then?

They all know far more than you and he's generally played there for every team he's been with before us.

fleck and aaron's preferred positions

Very true

aaron has only ever played as a left winger or part of 3 up front playing on the left

he hasnt ever played in the centre behind the 2 strikers

Um? to save time, see Iains post above this one :rolleyes:

He was terrible against Hamilton, his simple passing was awful, his crossing was awful, and his al round game was horrendous.

I fail to remember a time during the whole game when he actually beat the full back, i'm starting to even think he may lack pace.

He'd be better out there than McCulloch, at least he didn't hide behind Ferguson for the majority of the game.

Very true

aaron has only ever played as a left winger or part of 3 up front playing on the left

you sure? cos all that i've seen of him he's played wide left, in particular for spain u21

Very true

you sure? cos all that i've seen of him he's played wide left, in particular for spain u21

He's played in a rotating 'front 4' throughout his Spain career. You'll see him on the left, on the right and in the hole during most games if you watch close enough.

Just making the point that he can indeed play in behind the front two, it's his own self-confessed favoured position.

Very true

He's played in a rotating 'front 4' throughout his Spain career. You'll see him on the left, on the right and in the hole during most games if you watch close enough.

Just making the point that he can indeed play in behind the front two, it's his own self-confessed favoured position.

ah right, i thought he preferred wide left. either way i think we can all agree he or fleck would be better than anyone else in our team atm

Very true

ah right, i thought he preferred wide left. either way i think we can all agree he or fleck would be better than anyone else in our team atm

Absolutely.

Why Smith can't see this is beyond me. Only he would want his winger to be adept at tacking, tracking back and winning high balls :anguish:

Backwards mentality if I've ever seen one.

I can't work out why it's always the left wing that has to have the big lump of wood, either. Obviously Davis isn't big, and isn't going to win many headers, but I just can't fathom why Smith thinks the tactic of McGregor/Weir booting the ball up to the useless player on the left would be successful. The only game I can recall it being any different is the final against QOTS, when Beasley started on the left and McCulloch on the right :anguish:

Maybe the reason Fleck/Aaron aren't getting regular games on the left is because there's no-one for Weir to pass to.

Very true

(tu) ta! am too busy at work to pay close enough attention today haha

I can't work out why it's always the left wing that has to have the big lump of wood, either. Obviously Davis isn't big, and isn't going to win many headers, but I just can't fathom why Smith thinks the tactic of McGregor/Weir booting the ball up to the useless player on the left would be successful. The only game I can recall it being any different is the final against QOTS, when Beasley started on the left and McCulloch on the right :anguish:

Maybe the reason Fleck/Aaron aren't getting regular games on the left is because there's no-one for Weir to pass to.

I cant fathom why a winger would even NEED to head a ball, arent they meant to runa bout and cross it for someone else to head it? <cr>

He'd be better out there than McCulloch, at least he didn't hide behind Ferguson for the majority of the game.

It's called playing the holding role.

Hiding behind Ferguson is known as the holding role?

Pardon?

Pardon?

Hiding behind Ferguson was the OP's version of how things went.

My opinion is somewhat different.

Pardon?

He was decent at Pittodrie, but I wasn't impressed on Sunday.-

Pardon?

I thought he had a better game than both Mendes and Davis and would not hesitate in playing him in that role again.

Pardon?

Its a gay thing (tu)

Pardon?

I thought he had a better game than both Mendes and Davis and would not hesitate in playing him in that role again.

But you also think Smith should get a three year extension.

So bang goes your opinion :P

Pardon?

But you also think Smith should get a three year extension.

So bang goes your opinion :P

The hard facts will back me up m8.

Once we go on and clinch a famous double it won't even be up for debate. :P

I hope you're right!

But the hard facts - surely, assuming that McCoist picks the cup sides, the hard facts are that Smith has yet to win a trophy since his return?

I hope you're right!

But the hard facts - surely, assuming that McCoist picks the cup sides, the hard facts are that Smith has yet to win a trophy since his return?

Walter has never said Ally picks the cup teams.

He said Ally plays more of a role in things but at the end of the week the 3 of them sit down and discuss team selection and Walter always has the final say.