Rangers Legends

Craigy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think we use this term too much for average players just because our team is so bad just now?

Have been saying this for the longest time on this forum,but of course the younger Bears never agree with me. <cry> :lol:

I would say Stevie Smith if he stuck at the club and continued to get better but people classing the likes of Mols for example as legends really have to look back to the likes of Laudrup, Greig etc and you will see real legends.

Yes the term Legend is used to much, but that is not just on the forum. You hear radio presenters interviewing a nobody and describe him as a legend of whatever team he used to turnout for.

There are no legends playing for us at the moment. Boyd has a lot to do before he can claim that status.

The 72 side are legends as is slim Jim, Davie Cooper, Laudrup and Mccoist there are more but one thing is for sure the current crop wont trouble the list writers

Don't you think we use this term too much for average players just because our team is so bad just now?

Have been saying this for the longest time on this forum,but of course the younger Bears never agree with me. <cry> :lol:

As an older Bear I'll agree with you. I'll go further. It's not just about how good you are (or shouldn't be). For example, I don't rate the man child as a legend. I usually get pelters for that :)

To me you should also be of a decent character and also play a reasonable amount of games for the club. I love Dado Prso for example but no way can he ever be a club legend. I think some think of the word 'legend' as somebody who they have fond memories of while others think of a legend as one of an elite few.

Out of our current team only Boyd has the potential to become a legend

If he ever scores against a decent team, then I might agree with you.and to rate Boyd above Barry as a legend makes me wonder where you're coming from. :unsure::rolleyes:

Much as I loved him as a player I'm not sure Laudrup played for us long enough to be classed a legend. 133 (44) games? All right that's more than any other club he played for but surely not enough to get into the legend bracket.

EDIT: Oops...missed the qualification above ;)

Out of our current team only Boyd has the potential to become a legend

If he ever scores against a decent team, then I might agree with you.and to rate Boyd above Barry as a legend makes me wonder where you're coming from. :unsure::rolleyes:

Well he did say potential. A few years ago it would have been fair enough to say the same of Ferguson.

While I agree that the word Legend is thrown around with too much ease... Laudrup has to be classed as a legend. He is possibly the best player to ever have played for the club. Certainly in the top 5.

I would also say that when Fergie is done in 5 or 6 years he will be remembered with legendary status. Boyd.... he may be a legend one day but its way way to early to know for sure... if he carries on like he is for the rest of the decade then he has a chance...

I don't think there is a defined set of criteria to qualify a legend... for example would Negri be classed as a legend... his scoring feat over 6 months are certainly stuff of legend

While I agree that the word Legend is thrown around with too much ease... Laudrup has to be classed as a legend. He is possibly the best player to ever have played for the club. Certainly in the top 5.

So Stanley Mathews and George Best are Rangers legends ? ;)

I would also say that when Fergie is done in 5 or 6 years he will be remembered with legendary status.

Ferguson will never be a legend in my eyes....never.

I would also say that when Fergie is done in 5 or 6 years he will be remembered with legendary status.

Sorry... am not very good at the quoting thing, but I am not following your George Best and Stanley Mathews references??

fergie will never be a rangers legend imo either

Sorry... am not very good at the quoting thing, but I am not following your George Best and Stanley Mathews references??

Just a joke. Mathews played for us as a guest during the war and Best played in the match to raise money for the disaster, although technically that was a Rangers/Celtic IX.

Still...must rank in the top 5 players who played for us? ;)

Just a joke. Mathews played for us as a guest during the war and Best played in the match to raise money for the disaster, although technically that was a Rangers/Celtic IX.

Y

Yeah Wikipedia solved the mystery... I now understand you were joking but seriously Laudrup played his best football with us, I admit I thought it was more than 133 games but still. I guess it is always debatable but he, along with Gazza were just such a joy to watch. during their time with Rangers. Best, Matthews maybe the most legendary players ever to have played a game with us but Laudo.. Rangers legend... IMO

Y

Yeah Wikipedia solved the mystery... I now understand you were joking but seriously Laudrup played his best football with us, I admit I thought it was more than 133 games but still. I guess it is always debatable but he, along with Gazza were just such a joy to watch. during their time with Rangers. Best, Matthews maybe the most legendary players ever to have played a game with us but Laudo.. Rangers legend... IMO

Well Gascoigne was never a 'joy' for me but that's a different story. I agree Laudrup was a great player as was Gascoigne but I just think that one of the qualifications for legend status should be that you played a substantial amount of games for the club. In Gascoigne's case we weren't even his main club as he actually played more for Newcastle and Spurs.

Barry already IS a legend for us, and quite rightly too. He will go down in our annals as one of the great bears.

Outside of him, honourable mentions go to Dado for his sheer lionheart, and Klos who was a wonderful keeper for us for so long.

Current potentials would be Sebo, Papac and Sionko.

Barry already IS a legend for us, and quite rightly too. He will go down in our annals as one of the great bears.

Frankly I think that is a joke...he may be a legend to you but don't include me in your use of the word 'us'...and I'm not alone in that. Great bear my arse.

Y

Well Gascoigne was never a 'joy' for me but that's a different story. I agree Laudrup was a great player as was Gascoigne but I just think that one of the qualifications for legend status should be that you played a substantial amount of games for the club. In Gascoigne's case we weren't even his main club as he actually played more for Newcastle and Spurs.

The hat trick against aberdeen to win the title? Not a joy? Possibly the best single performance I have ever seen from an individual... the double against hearts in the cup after knocking back a whisky at half time?? That wasn't a joy to behold? Many other performances that were just a pleasure to witness. The man may not rank as a legend in the same way as Laudrup but Gazza was often brilliant for us.

Anyway I understand your view and its fair, I personally just don't feel the longevity is a necessary criterion for legend.

Y

The hat trick against aberdeen to win the title? Not a joy? Possibly the best single performance I have ever seen from an individual

His hat trick never 'won the title'.
... the double against hearts in the cup after knocking back a whisky at half time?? That wasn't a joy to behold? Many other performances that were just a pleasure to witness. The man may not rank as a legend in the same way as Laudrup but Gazza was often brilliant for us.

Anyway I understand your view and its fair, I personally just don't feel the longevity is a necessary criterion for legend.

Having the man child at the club was never a joy for me. I disliked him well before we signed him and never wanted him at Rangers. To change my view of him would have been hypocritical. Of course I supported him when he was playing for the team, just as I'll support Ferguson this week. Still love him to booted out the door though.

fergie will never be a rangers legend imo either

He already is in many Bears eyes including my own.(don't forget he is a stand-out in a pretty bad team) where would we be without him?(tu)

Frankly I think that is a joke...he may be a legend to you but don't include me in your use of the word 'us'...and I'm not alone in that. Great bear my arse.

Us = Rangers. You don't want to be included as a Rangers fan? Very strange m8.

You can always disagree that he's a legend, but you've practically said you're not a Rangers fan.

I'm sure you don't mean that (tu)