Rangers Legends

Craigy

how do we class legends? players who love playing for the jersey..john brown..players with big reputations.laudrup.. 1 club men..john greig..short term class terry butcher..or no class players who die for the club..sebo..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do we class legends? players who love playing for the jersey..john brown..players with big reputations.laudrup.. 1 club men..john greig..short term class terry butcher..or no class players who die for the club..sebo..

Or hard drinking smokers who leave the club for better things only to return with their tails between their legs and stab the manager of the club in the back? Apparently yes ;)

Out of our current team only Boyd has the potential to become a legend

If he ever scores against a decent team, then I might agree with you.and to rate Boyd above Barry as a legend makes me wonder where you're coming from. :unsure::rolleyes:

Barry isn't a legend, and never will be, just because you are Rangers through and through doesen't make you a legend

Boyd however may be, he scores for fun

I don't get it. Are people seriously suggesting that Ferguson is/may become a legend purely on football ability? I mean he's a good player, sometimes he's been great but surely not one of the greats. I mean if you were picking a Rangers all time team you wouldn't even give him a second thought.

I don't get it. Are people seriously suggesting that Ferguson is/may become a legend purely on football ability? I mean he's a good player, sometimes he's been great but surely not one of the greats. I mean if you were picking a Rangers all time team you wouldn't even give him a second thought.

So, by your money we've only had 11 legends in our entire history? I don't buy it.

So, by your money we've only had 11 legends in our entire history? I don't buy it.

Actually Danny there wouldn't be that many more. I obviously set the standard for a Rangers legend higher than you. I seem to remember you also have a much lower threshold for who warrants the tag 'world class'. That's one of the problems with these types of debates I suppose. I think the term Rangers legend would be an honour bestowed on the very best...the best of the best even. You obviously think differently so we are talking about different things.

Actually Danny there wouldn't be that many more. I obviously set the standard for a Rangers legend higher than you.

You almost seem smug. As if my opinion counts for less because it defines something different. I hope I have misconstrued your point.

I seem to remember you also have a much lower threshold for who warrants the tag 'world class'.
World class is a meaningless term. Why, many call Ronaldinho world class yet on the very stage to display his class, the WC, he was frankly guff. As were so many of his supposed peers.
That's one of the problems with these types of debates I suppose. I think the term Rangers legend would be an honour bestowed on the very best...the best of the best even. You obviously think differently so we are talking about different things.

That's better. Yes, we do.

Barry already IS a legend for us, and quite rightly too. He will go down in our annals as one of the great bears.

Outside of him, honourable mentions go to Dado for his sheer lionheart, and Klos who was a wonderful keeper for us for so long.

Current potentials would be Sebo, Papac and Sionko.

Hard to decide which comment is a fishing trip.

I'll go for the first and the last.

Barry already IS a legend for us, and quite rightly too. He will go down in our annals as one of the great bears.

Outside of him, honourable mentions go to Dado for his sheer lionheart, and Klos who was a wonderful keeper for us for so long.

Current potentials would be Sebo, Papac and Sionko.

Hard to decide which comment is a fishing trip.

I'll go for the first and the last.

No fishing at all, and if you think the last comment is deadpan I suggest you look up sarcasm in the dictionary (tu)

How to debate something so subjective?

I don't think the term 'legend' has to be defined as in "Player X has to have played a certain number of games for team Y".

It's more poetic than that. It's a player that evokes wonderful memories, the kind you want to tell your kids about and say, "one day, at Parkhead, he beat 4 men before lobbing the keeper to hand us the title on the final day of the season" blah blah blah.

The fact that some of us are older than others on here doesn't mean that the younger members won't always remember Gazza scoring a hat-trick against Aberdeen to win the league title, including a wonderful shot into the roof of the net and a lung bursting run from the half-way line with the ball. That's magical stuff, and if it gets passed down through generations then Gascoigne is a legend.

That's not to say every player we remember fondly becomes a legend (I have great memories of Gary Bollan nutmegging Del Piero for example) but some players just stick out and will be talked about by generations of Rangers fans.

In my opinion, Gazza, McCoist and Laudrup are the recent ones who come to mind. Possibly Gough too.

Agreed PB, the word is used far too often to describe players who really have no chance of being a legend.

IMO Boyd has potential if he continues a high scoring rate but for many more years.

Barry F and D Prso I like a lot, but are not legends in my eye.

I believe Danny was joking (must have been!)in saying potential legends are Sebo, Papac and Sionko. In fact I cant believe he even mentioned them as he would immediately lose any credibility.

Anyway real legends are Woodburn, Young, Cox, Morton, McPhail, Caldow, Baxter, Henderson, Goram, Butcher , Woods, Gough, Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hately.

JMO.

<_<

For my money, a Rangers legend is like anything else; subjective opinion.

Who would be so ARROGANT as to tell someone his favourite player is not a legend, even if he feels he is?

I have my opinions, and I respect everyone else's on this.

Let's not be so small minded as to smear each other's varying opinion on what makes a legend (tu)

How to debate something so subjective?

I don't think the term 'legend' has to be defined as in "Player X has to have played a certain number of games for team Y".

It's more poetic than that. It's a player that evokes wonderful memories, the kind you want to tell your kids about and say, "one day, at Parkhead, he beat 4 men before lobbing the keeper to hand us the title on the final day of the season" blah blah blah.

The fact that some of us are older than others on here doesn't mean that the younger members won't always remember Gazza scoring a hat-trick against Aberdeen to win the league title, including a wonderful shot into the roof of the net and a lung bursting run from the half-way line with the ball. That's magical stuff, and if it gets passed down through generations then Gascoigne is a legend.

That's not to say every player we remember fondly becomes a legend (I have great memories of Gary Bollan nutmegging Del Piero for example) but some players just stick out and will be talked about by generations of Rangers fans.

In my opinion, Gazza, McCoist and Laudrup are the recent ones who come to mind. Possibly Gough too.

Very true SC....in fact that Gazza hatrick capped off what was for me the finest individual performance I have seen from a Ranger.

Agree with Gazza & Ally.... but would call Gough a certainty

Ok, just for the record, for those with brains smaller than a grape; YES I WAS KIDDING ABOUT SEBO, SIONKO AND PAPAC!

Flipping hell guys, I know it's Monday but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Ok, just for the record, for those with brains smaller than a grape; YES I WAS KIDDING ABOUT SEBO, SIONKO AND PAPAC!

Flipping hell guys, I know it's Monday but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

ROTFLMAO !

Should have added Ostenstadt to the list Danny...would have given it more credibility....

Out of our current team only Boyd has the potential to become a legend

If he ever scores against a decent team, then I might agree with you.and to rate Boyd above Barry as a legend makes me wonder where you're coming from. :unsure::rolleyes:

Barry isn't a legend, and never will be, just because you are Rangers through and through doesen't make you a legend

Boyd however may be, he scores for fun

What are you smoking R&A ? :pipe:

i cant understand why no one has mentioned our greatest legend JIM BAXTER . :pipeguy:

Cos only me and you,and a few others had the pleasure of watching the pure genius that was Slim Jim.Add john Greig,and maybe super Ally,and I would say that they are the only true Legends that I have watched in the last forty odd years.There have been lots of excellent players in that time,but a legend is something very

special,and should'nt be thrown at everyones latest hero.

Agreed PB, the word is used far too often to describe players who really have no chance of being a legend.

IMO Boyd has potential if he continues a high scoring rate but for many more years.

Barry F and D Prso I like a lot, but are not legends in my eye.

I believe Danny was joking (must have been!)in saying potential legends are Sebo, Papac and Sionko. In fact I cant believe he even mentioned them as he would immediately lose any credibility.

Anyway real legends are Woodburn, Young, Cox, Morton, McPhail, Caldow, Baxter, Henderson, Goram, Butcher , Woods, Gough, Gazza, Laudrup, McCoist, Hately.

JMO.

<_< (tu)

I'm sure you meant to list John Greig amongst your Legends NVA.....although I'm not 100% with the Greatest Ever Ranger tag. That would be Slim Jim IMO, even though I've only seen tapes and tv clips of him. My father was still raving about him 30 years after his last game for The Gers!

Yes the term Legend is used to much, but that is not just on the forum. You hear radio presenters interviewing a nobody and describe him as a legend of whatever team he used to turnout for.

There are no legends playing for us at the moment. Boyd has a lot to do before he can claim that status.

The 72 side are legends as is slim Jim, Davie Cooper, Laudrup and Mccoist there are more but one thing is for sure the current crop wont trouble the list writers

i agree SB, the current squad is disappointing to say the least. Weve got a big hill to climb. Legends are only born through hard work, endeavour and stong attitude. I dont see that at the moment.

i cant understand why no one has mentioned our greatest legend JIM BAXTER . :pipeguy:

Cos only me and you,and a few others had the pleasure of watching the pure genius that was Slim Jim.Add john Greig,and maybe super Ally,and I would say that they are the only true Legends that I have watched in the last forty odd years.There have been lots of excellent players in that time,but a legend is something very

special,and should'nt be thrown at everyones latest hero.

Whoops I forgot to list our present day legend the one and only Barry Ferguson. (clap) (tu)

Actually Danny there wouldn't be that many more. I obviously set the standard for a Rangers legend higher than you.

You almost seem smug. As if my opinion counts for less because it defines something different. I hope I have misconstrued your point.

Yes you have misconstrued. Not being smug just giving my opinion. Still, if we are talking smug...tell me, you said Ferguson is already a legend to 'us'...who are these 'us' you speak for?

I seem to remember you also have a much lower threshold for who warrants the tag 'world class'.
World class is a meaningless term. Why, many call Ronaldinho world class yet on the very stage to display his class, the WC, he was frankly guff. As were so many of his supposed peers.

Really? I don't seem to remember you having a problem with the term before. Of course what you say is a little bit silly as it also applies to the term 'legend' doesn't it?

That's one of the problems with these types of debates I suppose. I think the term Rangers legend would be an honour bestowed on the very best...the best of the best even. You obviously think differently so we are talking about different things.
That's better.

Is it? Why thanks for your patronage.

Yes, we do.

We always have but even so, I'm genuinely surprised at you over Ferguson.

Clearly alot of different interpretations of Legend. Kai johensen scored in the 1966 Scottish Cup Replay against the tims to win 1-0 ...and states in one of the many videos, that he was recognised all over the place by Rangers fans, and that one strike is the one thing he is remembered for. Never seen the great Dane play but does this make him a legend ? seems to in some eyes.