David Villa to Real Madrid

The Galacticos era was a shambles the first time round. Ending up with too many players in the one position, teams being selected by reputation rather than form, rejecting the chance to sign Eto'o etc etc.

Looks like Perez is taking them down the same route again.

Didn't they win the CL twice, and La Liga a number of times.

It only became a shambles when the team began to break up.

Nope, those trophies were before the Galacticos era, it was when Lorenzo Sanz was president that they won the Champions League twice. Perez took over in 2003 and they didn't win the league again until 2007 under Capello when the team had broken up and only Beckham was still there i think. In fact they won nothing for three seasons.

Figo and Zidane were part of the big money era, no? And they certainly won it with those two in 2002 and the league twice before 2007.

So whether it was Perez in charge or not, giving the big money signings a 'brand name' surely doesn't matter - with Figo they broke the world record, then did it again with Zidane, and they did win things. Even if it didn't have the Galacticos name attached to it.

Perhaps so, although ultimately i'd say it was a rather unsuccessful operation. It brought more failures than successes.

Out of interest, why did they appoint Ramos, and what were the circumstances of his departure?

Ranis was never a permanent deal and understood that he was there until the summer. He just added stability, very much like Hiddink at Chelsea.

Ah right, I'd assumed it was a long term deal.

This article from Sid Lowe gives a bit of detail on the financial impact of Perez's return.

Apparently anyone who stands for the presidential election has to guarantee 15% of the club's budget. Therefore each candidate must have at least 55million Euros behind them!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...-perez-election