What do people actually WANT next season?

outlaw69uk

Adam is on a very minimal wage compared to some of our players. Given how awesome he was for us in the PLG era (the Celtic games anyone?), i would keep him. He has the potential to turn into a good player, he just needs to sort our his fitness and master the basics once again. The boy has a left peg i have rarely seen the likes of since Albertz. For the wages hes on, and the potential the boy has, hes worth taking a punt on for another season or so

+1 on that.

To the OP's question "What do people actually WANT next season?, From the team" I've got 2 answers:-

Ideally - Win the treble & make at least the last 8 of the CL.

Realistically - Win the SPL title again & hold our own in the CL group stage with some good performances.

QUOTE (:sleep1: @ Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody wants our best players sold that's crazy talk, but lets take a minute to realize our club has to slash the wage bill. Players like Ferguson, McGregor and DMB are some of our highest earners that should go. due to the fact we can cope without them.

This season is all about downsizing and trying to recoup money, the sooner we all accept that the better.

See mate, that bit is what gets me at times, dont you think we can make more money by being successful? Rather than taking a pawn shop route by selling players. The worst thing we can do is look to weaken the squad, which, in a black and white world (lol ;)), selling your best players does. If we sell off the players people are mentioning, and, dont replace them properly, we could lose the league, then where would we be? Next seasons Euro money then becomes potentially a pipe dream, so, long term, we are worse off. Not a good plan. We have to be successful. Work our way into a better financial position.

With regard to players, if we can sell some, and, replace them with at least the same quality or better, for less money, then, that makes sense. Something I dont think would happen in McGregors case. Ferguson, we already have Thomson and Edu, so, thats obvious, DMB, non plussed about, so, again, sensible thinking.

i expect the domestic treble of course at the very least and i also expect the club to do well in europe, last 16 at least.

we are Rangers not some provincial club. :clap:

i dont want dailly given a new deal

i want mcculloch, number 6, beasley, velicka, miller, boyd, mcgregor all to be sold for the most we can get for them.

i expect 3 of the very best players our scouts can find from any country to be signed before pre season starts. no penny pinching but nothing unrealistic obviously.

i expect the best from my club

coz we are the best

2nd bit, disagree and unsure! Graeme Smith on the bench??

Get rid 1/3 of squad.

Bring in 2/3 players that are better than we already have.

Reach last 16 of CL, or final of Europa

Win League Cup.

Win League.

Win SC.

If we achieve anything lower then it is a failure as we have done it before.

Love your last line, totally agree with that. It IS a failure if we dont match previous successes, just like it isnt progress if we dont better them :D

League title

Scottish Cup

Co-op Cup

Last 16 or beyond of the Champions League

Players in their proper position

A plan B

The deadwood removed

Quality signings

Better standard of football

Basic areas addressed

Consistency

Players up for games, wanting it more, don't sit back, take our chances.....

That's it!!

Pretty much agree. The definition of deadwood may differ though ;) haha.

Proper positions is a quandry as well in this day and age, given there are "utility players" :pipe:

League title

Scottish Cup

Co-op Cup

A plan B

The deadwood removed

Quality signings

Basic areas addressed

Consistency

That's it!!

Proper positions is a quandry as well in this day and age, given there are "utility players" :pipe:

I would agree with this too, as for the conundrum of UCL or Europa i would want us to stay in the UCL as long as possible because:

1. It WILL be progress if we go past the groups

2. It makes us better off financially, UCL money dwarves the Europa(someone posted the money pots for both competitions in a previous thread)

3. Makes us a more attractive proposition for players looking to move to our great club if they see us there.

Still stand by the idea of giving the better younger ones a chance in the League Cup, satisfying the call to give youth a shot but not throwing them in at the deep end for crucial league games.

:scot:

League title

Scottish Cup

Co-op Cup

A plan B

The deadwood removed

Quality signings

Basic areas addressed

Consistency

That's it!!

I would agree with this too, as for the conundrum of UCL or Europa i would want us to stay in the UCL as long as possible because:

2. It makes us better off financially, UCL money dwarves the Europa(someone posted the money pots for both competitions in a previous thread)

3. Makes us a more attractive proposition for players looking to move to our great club if they see us there.

Still stand by the idea of giving the better younger ones a chance in the League Cup, satisfying the call to give youth a shot but not throwing them in at the deep end for crucial league games.

Aye! Totally, and, that highlighted line, fucking a! (tu)

Its progress and financial improvement through success on the field, in Europe, which is the key

League title

Scottish Cup

Co-op Cup

A plan B

The deadwood removed

Quality signings

Basic areas addressed

Consistency

That's it!!

Aye! Totally, and, that highlighted line, fucking a! (tu)

Its progress and financial improvement through success on the field, in Europe, which is the key

Thought that would appeal to you Outlaw! Good to know fellow Bears share the ambition!! (tu)

:pipe:

my opinion, and this is my own opinion probably,

but the people who demand this and demand that, are living ina fucking dreamworld, we should do this we should do that because we have done it before, get lost and go support real fucking madrid!! glory hunting bastards.. it really pisses me off seeing people on here saying we should do this no matter what. in some instances i'd agree, but with all our spending in the past we never achieved what we have done recently and how long has it been since our last euro final before last years great run!! we all forget these things, am sorry i'd support rangers if they were in the amateur leagues because even though i want my team to win nothing is more important than my support for them! i am not a believer in this we must win this and that!! yes we should be winning but no we must not! if we then great kudos to the team but to expect everything will leave you with a banner saying we deserve better, i think we deserve better than the antics you get when we are in something of note eg uefa cup final for those who didnt make manchester and attended ibrox you see the way we disrespected our club by running onto the pitch streakers, and then same again when we win the league before we criticise our team we need to look at ourselves and ask, do we deserve better,

SUPPORT THE TEAM NOT YOUR EGO.

rant over.

though last 16 would be nice :animal:

i agree with most people about winning the treble and last 16 in champs league

deadwood like daily, ferguson, mcculloch

but i would keep boyd, miller, velicka and mcgregor at the moment

dunno what to do with adam, he did play good for PLG but hasn't really done that good since then, he has the potenical to be a good player but do we want to take a chance on him when we can sell him and save on his wages

A treble would be progress, but realistically winning any of the domestic trophies will be tough again. A run in Europe like 2008 would be even more enjoyable, and having broken celtic's stranglehold I would take winning a UEFA trophy ahead of the SPL title in 2009/10. Would like to see the club taking on the media and government, but it's not going to happen.

I am very contented right now. It is sad to see so many Rangers fans have become media junkies, and are having trouble accepting a quiet summer, with nothing to call the phone-ins about (except Tony Mowbray). Would they rather we were 'in crisis' like last summer when we sold Cuellar? We should be glad we don't have to find a new manager this summer, because celtic have found out that genuine top-level quality managers simply will not come to the SPL. Walter Smith is the greatest manager in this club's history, realistically his achievements in winning all 3 trophies and taking us to a European final since his return, while the club haven't been able to outspend celtic, are unbeatable.

So it might not sound like much, but what I want this coming season is more of the same. Beating celtic, scoring lots of goals and having a decent run in Europe. I might even get a season ticket again, with the matches not being on TV. But it would be nice if the moaners just shut up slagging off our players and manager. Winning the SPL by 4 points this year, and getting to the UEFA Cup final last year prove they are 'Rangers class' and even when they failed, it wasn't due to any lack of effort. But let's face it, some of our fans aren't happy unless they've got something to moan about!

Nobody wants our best players sold that's crazy talk, but lets take a minute to realize our club has to slash the wage bill. Players like Ferguson, McGregor and DMB are some of our highest earners that should go. due to the fact we can cope without them.

This season is all about downsizing and trying to recoup money, the sooner we all accept that the better.

See mate, that bit is what gets me at times, dont you think we can make more money by being successful? Rather than taking a pawn shop route by selling players. The worst thing we can do is look to weaken the squad, which, in a black and white world (lol ;)), selling your best players does. If we sell off the players people are mentioning, and, dont replace them properly, we could lose the league, then where would we be? Next seasons Euro money then becomes potentially a pipe dream, so, long term, we are worse off. Not a good plan. We have to be successful. Work our way into a better financial position.

With regard to players, if we can sell some, and, replace them with at least the same quality or better, for less money, then, that makes sense. Something I dont think would happen in McGregors case. Ferguson, we already have Thomson and Edu, so, thats obvious, DMB, non plussed about, so, again, sensible thinking.

Us being successful is us winning the league and getting past the group stages of the champions league if were to make a profit. they're isn't any reason why we should not be able to do this. Maybe when you think of downsizing you think of a different level to me.

At the moment our wage bill is too high, we have to downsize and severely trim our wage bill to a acceptable level for our club to compete at any level. Until we do that all bets are off. This season we are playing catch up with last season disastrous run in europe. Nobody is saying weaken the team, most of our high earners are struggling to get in the team. It's just when we go out to sign anybody due to our current situation we cant buy the standard that were used to in the past. This calls for better scouting/ loan deals and hope they work out, and of course looking towards our younger players to step up. As I've said before don't expect anything major this season, it's going to be a long summer.

Walter had most of this season budget last season, that's why winning the league saved us in more ways than we'll all care to acknowledge. Just be thankful it all worked out (tu)

I want the deadwood to go which is FERGUSON,ADAM,VELICKA,BROADFOOT,DAILLY,BEASLEY,GOW,MCCULLOCH and WEIR.

I want 4 or so youngsters promoted

I want 2 top signings made at centre half and left wing

I want to win the league

We won't win the Champions league so realistically another stab at the UEFA cup final, after making our cash in the Champions league, would be good

I would be happy come May 2010 with that

You know, I would pretty much agree with that, have to say, I would swither a bit about Adam, I really would. But, to clarify, I am basing that on the player we saw under Le Guen, not since. At his age, and, apparent lower wages, as a squad player, I wouldnt complain too much.

Everything else makes sense too. We wont win the UCL, true, and, I am in 2 minds as to whether having a crack at winning the Uefa is better than, getting past last 16 this year (and trying to go further each year), really not sure about that, but, I would take either I suppose.

i agree with these two posts think there spot on, the only place i differ is i would keep weir one more year as back up to a new CB and id also keep adam

everything else represents how i feel

QUOTE (:sleep1: @ Jun 23 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Us being successful is us winning the league and getting past the group stages of the champions league if were to make a profit. they're isn't any reason why we should not be able to do this. Maybe when you think of downsizing you think of a different level to me.

At the moment our wage bill is too high, we have to downsize and severely trim our wage bill to a acceptable level for our club to compete at any level. Until we do that all bets are off. This season we are playing catch up with last season disastrous run in europe. Nobody is saying weaken the team, most of our high earners are struggling to get in the team. It's just when we go out to sign anybody due to our current situation we cant buy the standard that were used to in the past. This calls for better scouting/ loan deals and hope they work out, and of course looking towards our younger players to step up. As I've said before don't expect anything major this season, it's going to be a long summer.

Walter had most of this season budget last season, that's why winning the league saved us in more ways than we'll all care to acknowledge. Just be thankful it all worked out (tu)

Aye, I think you are right fella, I tend to view downsizing from a general business perspective, and, its generally a severe thing (at the moment anyway). Plus the phrase high earners, tends to imply all the best players at the club, not a good idea in principle

In this and another thread, people have mentioned striking the right balance, and, that is definately the key here. As you know, I am a big fan of the Mourinho style 22 man squad, you dont really need more than that, especially with the ages of most of our players.

Aye, I think you are right fella, I tend to view downsizing from a general business perspective, and, its generally a severe thing (at the moment anyway). Plus the phrase high earners, tends to imply all the best players at the club, not a good idea in principle

In this and another thread, people have mentioned striking the right balance, and, that is definately the key here. As you know, I am a big fan of the Mourinho style 22 man squad, you dont really need more than that, especially with the ages of most of our players.

22 man squad is ideal plus a few youngsters.

I hope we sell or let go McGregor, Ferguson, McCulloch, Beasley, Adam, Velicka, Smith, Smith and bring in at least two quality Bosmans and buy two other starters.. Daily and Hemdani are gone anyway. Thats 10 gone and some money brought in- say 6-8m

I further hope Dean Furman decides to join up again.

That is the best I can see happening.

I hope it works out.

In an ideal world I would like to see the squad trimmed with a couple of new additions who could command a first team place straight away coming in.

It would also be helpful if we could pick up a couple of guys who are experienced campaigners in European competition/and or other European leagues on freebies.

Football wise we have wrestled the league back, that was the hard part. Let's go out and keep the ball on the deck as well as we did at Tannadice, but let's retain that ability to "rough it" when we need to.

As far as European competition let's go out there and enjoy the Champions League. If we can get through to the last 16 then great, if not then a few games against the bigger names in the Europa league would be nice too.