Del Piero - new Juve deal

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero has extended his contract until 2011 and will end his career with La Vecchia Signora, though not necessarily in two years' time.

Record

The 34-year-old forward, who in April 2008 broke Gaetano Scirea's Juventus appearance record of 552 matches and has now passed 600 – scoring more than 260 goals – has added 12 months to his existing deal. Del Piero joined the Bianconeri in 1993 from Calcio Padova 1910 and has won five Scudettos and the 1995/96 UEFA Champions League, as well as helping Italy to 2006 FIFA World Cup glory.

'Never in doubt'

Del Piero said: "We can now have two more wonderful years together. This contract is the best possible solution for both parties, it was never in doubt. I am really happy to stay and I want to keep writing the history of this club. I don't know if I will retire in 2011 – I will think about it in due course. I want to play for as long as I retain all the qualities I have now." Last season's Serie A runners-up, Juventus will enter the UEFA Champions League in the group stage.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/...sid=847278.html

Been around for so long, still a wonderful player.

He is one the few remaining great Italian players, who harks back to a time when Calcio players were the envy of the world - even though I despise Juventus I know a great player when I see one.

But I do have to wonder what kind of a role a player who's not that far off his 35th birthday can have at a club as supposedly big as Juventus - surely they envisage seriously challenging Inter for next year's Scudetto - what will their forward line be?

You see........ this just proves if your fit then age dosn't matter, to many people[including those who should know better] are willing to write players off once they reach 30+ it's stupid, esp. nowadays when so many clubs employ sport science experts.

He is one the few remaining great Italian players, who harks back to a time when Calcio players were the envy of the world - even though I despise Juventus I know a great player when I see one.

But I do have to wonder what kind of a role a player who's not that far off his 35th birthday can have at a club as supposedly big as Juventus - surely they envisage seriously challenging Inter for next year's Scudetto - what will their forward line be?

They have a better chance of challenging Inter than Milan anyway.

Amauri, Trezeguet, Iaquinta and Del Piero is hardly a bad forward line.

Il Bianconeri!

Il Bianconeri!

With my limited vewing of Seria A this year did Amauri not struggle this year?

Milan are a bad joke at the moment. The only things allowing Rosseneri fans to retain their slender grip on reality is the fact we still have Pato, and Nesta will return.

Il Bianconeri!

It's adequate. None of them are as good as Pato - none scored as many in the league last year - and Pato was some distance off being top scorer.

They need better to genuinely challenge Inter.

Milan, otoh, need a sodding miracle.