Have we got a good enough squad to compete at CL level ?

DJBLUE72

I reckon we might struggle if we do not bring any new players in as all big teams are buying players to add to there squads

even if its bosmans a squad needs depth , and we seem to have lost a few players this summer but wont be replacing any

a risky stratagy if you ask me , i know our hands are tied financially but we have freed up over £50K per week in wages

so surely we could afford to bring in a few players to boost the squad for an assualt on the SPL and Europe

there are plenty of good players who are available on a free transfer just now.

I know we will give the younger players more games this season which is fantastic but my fear is we will struggle for quality

when it is required during the season due to injurys etc.

Are things really that bad financially at Rangers ??? are we poorer than Hearts ? the Tims ?

its so frustrating as its like we are the poor man of European football who has a everything must go sale every transfer window

i would even say we must keep the likes of McCulloch and Dailly if we arent going to replace them.

I am looking forward to seeing the youth get a chance at Ibrox but i fear we will come up short if we are drawn against the cream of Europe.

Also i must add this has been the most boring and Frustrating post season summer ever for Gers fans i reckon.

Roll on the Man City Game :)

To answer the question in the thread title, no.

All depends what you consider "competing"

My idea of competing would be to get to atleast the last 16 and IMO we don't have the sqaud to do that, unless we got a really favourable draw.

we have a better squad than our last CL campaign, and look how that season finished

our defence is slightly better (although its attacking option has been reduced with hutton leaving)

our midfield (when thommo and edu are fully fit) will be better than our last squad

up front, while we are lacking in a forward powerhouse, we have players that are capable of scoring from half chances

have faith guys, we wont win the thing but we wont get embarassed, should safely get to the europa cup

An injury to either Bougherra or Weir would see us pretty much gubbed, IMO. The rest of the squad is equipped to put up a decent fight for at least a 3rd place group finish, but going into a CL tie with McCulloch or Broadfoot at centre half (if he returns from injury in time) just doesn't bear thinking about.

I don't think we have the squad capable of competing in all competitions.

RB; Whittaker only. Broadfoot (not good enough and injured) Lowing (will never be good enough) McMillan (no experience)

CB; Bougherra, Weir (will not be able to play Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday, Sunday) McCulloch (brutal) Wilson (no experience)

LB; Papac, Smith (not good enough to be at Rangers IMO) Wylde (no experience, plus I prefer him in midfield)

That's our defence for the whole season unless we bring someone in. That is neither good enough, or strong enough to compete in all competitions.

Our midfield and strikers are decent, but we still require a LM/W, and a ST on top of the CB we so badly need.

RB; Whittaker only. Broadfoot (not good enough and injured) Lowing (will never be good enough) McMillan (no experience)

CB; Bougherra, Weir (will not be able to play Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday, Sunday) McCulloch (brutal) Wilson (no experience)

LB; Papac, Smith (not good enough to be at Rangers IMO) Wylde (no experience, plus I prefer him in midfield)

That's our defence for the whole season unless we bring someone in. That is neither good enough, or strong enough to compete in all competitions.

Our midfield and strikers are decent, but we still require a LM/W, and a ST on top of the CB we so badly need.

Correct. We are worryingly thin on the ground when it comes to the defence.

There is no suitable back up for any of the 3 positions.

not much of a difference from the last CL campaign mate, except that we had hutton at RB

we still didnt have cover at CB or LB, in fact the LB was even worse as smith wasnt fit back then

lets be positive lads, that mob got to last 16 TWICE with clowns like mcmanus, caldwell, brown, naylor to name a few of their muppets

And it's obvious for everyone to see. There is not a chance this current squad will be capable of playing 55+ games this season, especially with the injuries we suffer every season.

We have one RB, one LB, and two CB's, one of them being 39; the rest are either makeshift players, or youngsters.

Every team needs new faces each summer. Why the fuck are we so different?

not much of a difference from the last CL campaign mate, except that we had hutton at RB

we still didnt have cover at CB or LB, in fact the LB was even worse as smith wasnt fit back then

lets be positive lads, that mob got to last 16 TWICE with clowns like mcmanus, caldwell, brown, naylor to name a few of their muppets

Yeah but they lost a ton of Goals in the process. It was McDonald the Midfield and JVOH that got them through im not convinced we have the firepower to make up for a weak defence

Yeah but they lost a ton of Goals in the process. It was McDonald the Midfield and JVOH that got them through im not convinced we have the firepower to make up for a weak defence

well thats a different problem then, but i personally think we have a BETTER squad than the last campaign in europe, and we were a JCD sitter away from not qualifying

although looking back, thank fuck he did, manchester was my first euro final

That season we had; Broadfoot, Cuellar, Whittaker, Dailly, Papac, Hutton, Ehiogu (up until January) Weir, Webster.

This season we have; Broadfoot (injured) Webster (out on loan) Dailly (gone) Weir (two years older) Bougherra, Papac, Whittaker, plus youngsters. That's 4 players who are available, or have experience.

Big difference!

This season we have; Broadfoot (injured) Webster (out on loan) Dailly (gone) Weir (two years older) Bougherra, Papac, Whittaker, plus youngsters. That's 4 players who are available, or have experience.

Big difference!

You forgot McCulloch :anguish:

We'll probably see Jordan McMillan and Danny Wilson now, got no other options.

soon as i saw the title there is only one answer, most certainly not but we are rangers are we will plod on and give it our best shot

Keep ind mind though Thomson is like a new signing... and the best footie we played last year was with KT and Mendes running the show. We'll compete... but as always we'll struggle to score.

I'd be delighted with a last 16 -- but staying in Europe after xmas is a must.

Keep ind mind though Thomson is like a new signing... and the best footie we played last year was with KT and Mendes running the show. We'll compete... but as always we'll struggle to score.

I'd be delighted with a last 16 -- but staying in Europe after xmas is a must.

As far as i'm concerned the only "must" this season is to win the league again. Its a no brainer. I'd rather win the league than play european football after Xmas, although i would take both.