Davis and Mendes

nvager

I like Davis...Tireless, tracks back and really fights for the ball.

But in terms of attacking, I think he was very inconsistent last season. He had a tough year last year and was always played out right.

Would love to see him a Mendes in the middle for a good period of games.

Davis isn't played on the wing

Your correct, he as never played on the right wing at all last season...... <cr>

He didn't. He played on the right hand side of midfield.

If he was playing as a "winger" he would have spent 90 minutes hugging the touchline, going at their full back at every opportunity and looking to whip balls into the box from the byeline.

Your correct, he as never played on the right wing at all last season...... <cr>

If he was playing as a "winger" he would have spent 90 minutes hugging the touchline, going at their full back at every opportunity and looking to whip balls into the box from the byeline.

Now we're just being pedantic.

And not neccessarily, as a winger can also choose to 'cut in' much as Davis did last season.

A winger is a player who predominately works the flank, or wing. thus, Davis was a winger, ridiculous argument tbh/

And not neccessarily, as a winger can also choose to 'cut in' much as Davis did last season.

A winger is a player who predominately works the flank, or wing. thus, Davis was a winger, ridiculous argument tbh/

And just how often did Davis do that?

Most of his play involved coming into advanced central positions and influencing the game from there.

Hardly what I would expect from a winger.

Think both will be better than last season.

Mendes will now know what the SPL is all about.

Davis had a hard season last with his mum passing away etc.

Think both should expect to be up there for the player of the year.

Most of his play involved coming into advanced central positions and influencing the game from there.

:pipe: have been saying this for some time

As an aside, he played in the center today, and, well, didnt do much for me, was outshone by bloody Lee McCulloch of all people.

Davis is a good player to have, but, he NEEDS to get some consistency in his game, because he has more poor to average games than outstanding. Has been that way for 18 months now.

Mendes looked a player today, then again, he started last season that way, but, I dont think its a coincidence that Thomson being back helps

Anyone else think that with a season together in the SPL behind them, they will be better and more consistent this year?

We have the best midfield I've seen in years and there's no doubt these two, as well as the rest will be performing much better this season, it's mouthwatering. The understanding throughout was first class , and some of the passing was sublime. The way the team held their shape, especially when so many subs came on, shows that we have quality coaching staff who know what their doing. The attitude and team spirit was also the best for years, bring it on Scumothy, your day, is over and gone.

Got to say I thought Boyd was outstanding, put in a great supporting shift and was still always the predator in the box. I think he also, will also be a 'new' player for us this season.

Fair enough that's your view but I don't see Davis' position in the team as a winger. How often would he go to the byeline & whip over a cross? That wasn't his role. He kept things tight on the right side of midfield.

We're probably quibbling over semantics here in all honesty but it's certainly not "ridiculous".

Mendes got MOTM, didn't he?

Managed to catch the highlights in work.

Mendes produced a masterclass in midfield play today. He was a joy to watch to be honest.

His turn before feeding Boyd was a set piece of the highest quality.

Mendes got MOTM, didn't he?

Managed to catch the highlights in work.

Mendes produced a masterclass in midfield play today. He was a joy to watch to be honest.

His turn before feeding Boyd was a set piece of the highest quality.

It was a moment of genius. Hopefully the return of Thomson can help him play like that most weeks.

As I was the one to original say 'on the wing', I apologise, I should have said right midfield.

but being a right midfielder, depending on play they can assume a wingers position ie crossing balls in from the line.

btw, I agree, it is a bit pedantic!!!!

Everybody knows about Mendes' creative talent, but I think his willingness to track back ,and his his tackling ability are criminally under rated.

Walter knew that we needed creativity last Summer, but he obviously understood the importance of maintaing the workman like approach in midfield at the same time.

Walter did his homework before he signed Mendes and I'm delighted that he's our player.