Danny's delight

DANNY Wilson was delighted to make his top team debut for Rangers despite the side slipping to a 2-0 defeat against Portsmouth.

The 17-year-old defender replaced veteran Davie Weir with 18 minutes of the Gers' final pre-season fixture remaining and looked comfortable alongside Madjid Bougherra at the heart of the back four.

Wilson's has been a name often mentioned in the last 12 months as one of Murray Park's most promising young stars but he is refusing to get carried away after his first action for Walter Smith's team.

He said: "It was great to get out there because I hadn't expected to get the chance to play. I was only really thinking that I would get more experience of being with the squad and on the bench.

"But a few of the young boys got out there and I think we all did quite well when we got the chance. It's a good sign for all of us that so many youngsters got an opportunity today.

"It shows that things are going in the right direction for a lot of us and we just have to keep working hard and hope more chances come along."

Wilson was happy simply to be back among the squad after a slight strain stopped him travelling with the tour group that spent a week in Germany late last month.

"It was good to be back with the squad," admitted Wilson. "It's great experience for all us young guys to be part of the first team group and it was just a bonus to us all that we got the chance to play too."

hope wilson ness shinnie and fleck all get there chance this season :gerbad:

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1748213,00.html

DANNY Wilson was delighted to make his top team debut for Rangers despite the side slipping to a 2-0 defeat against Portsmouth.

The 17-year-old defender replaced veteran Davie Weir with 18 minutes of the Gers' final pre-season fixture remaining and looked comfortable alongside Madjid Bougherra at the heart of the back four.

Wilson's has been a name often mentioned in the last 12 months as one of Murray Park's most promising young stars but he is refusing to get carried away after his first action for Walter Smith's team.

He said: "It was great to get out there because I hadn't expected to get the chance to play. I was only really thinking that I would get more experience of being with the squad and on the bench.

"But a few of the young boys got out there and I think we all did quite well when we got the chance. It's a good sign for all of us that so many youngsters got an opportunity today.

"It shows that things are going in the right direction for a lot of us and we just have to keep working hard and hope more chances come along."

Wilson was happy simply to be back among the squad after a slight strain stopped him travelling with the tour group that spent a week in Germany late last month.

"It was good to be back with the squad," admitted Wilson. "It's great experience for all us young guys to be part of the first team group and it was just a bonus to us all that we got the chance to play too."

hope wilson ness shinnie and fleck all get there chance this season :gerbad:

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1748213,00.html

Hopefully Wilson gets more first team experience under his belt this season. Was he good today?

good to see, theres a big step up from the reserves to the first team but i have high hopes for him. We really should have started him in a couple of pre season friendlies imo. Thats the place to test him out and get a bit of experience. I dread to think what would happen if we had to throw him into a champions league game with next to no first team experience.

good to see, theres a big step up from the reserves to the first team but i have high hopes for him. We really should have started him in a couple of pre season friendlies imo. Thats the place to test him out and get a bit of experience. I dread to think what would happen if we had to throw him into a champions league game with next to no first team experience.

Sink or swim (tu)

Sink or swim (tu)

True.

Didn't Rooney score a hattrick against Fenerbahce in his first CL game?

Sink or swim (tu)

True.

He was a £25m striker at the time :rolleyes:

Sink or swim (tu)

True.

He was a £25m striker at the time :rolleyes:

And been to Euro 2004 (tu)

Ahh was that after Euro 2004?

My mistake :)

To say that Wilson will fail spectacularly is absolute fucking nonsense though...

A few months after yeah.

Agreed about Wilson. The guy is clearly a talented player but we shouldn't have to throw in to the team. I'd love to see him get more game time but he's not ready tobe third choice centre back. I'd like him to start cup games and maybe matches along side Weir when the pressure's off. Look whats happened to Fleck, after his few games in January, some were saying that he should be called up for Scotland and a few months later, these same people are saying that he should be sold for £3m and is overrated. No need for that to happen to Wilson.

i used to play football with dan up at the local park in livingston with the tiplets who used to be with rangers youth but now with livingston he wasnt the best tbh back then but has came on alot allways used to wear his umbro celtic tracksuit :anguish:

Ahh was that after Euro 2004?

My mistake :)

To say that Wilson will fail spectacularly is absolute fucking nonsense though...

Still, to be fair, he didnt exactly suck at Euro 2004 did he? And, I believe, hit the winner against Arsenal in his debut?

Thats the point, neither did Owen, Fabregas, Messi, Bojan, Walcott, um? Wilshere!

They were all in first teams at about the same age right? So, your point is still valid. Some of them (most of them?) at a fairly high level.