Champs dilemma over Boyd

ShaneRalfRoss

Champs dilemma over Boyd

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: 31 Aug 2009

rigTeaserImage

KRIS BOYD may well have scored his last goals for Rangers.

Turkish side Trabzonspor are preparing to table a deadline-busting swoop for the 26-year-old Ibrox icon who is in the final year of his Gers contract.

On Saturday Boyd's two goals against Hamilton Accies helped the SPL champions maintain their 100 per cent start to the new season and reminded everyone of the striker's worth to Walter Smith's side.

But with Rangers crippled by £25million of debt, Ibrox bosses could be ready to risk the wrath of the fans as they look to cash in on the man whose goals helped deliver Gers' first SPL title in four years.

A bid of around £2m is expected today and Boyd could even fly to Turkey later this afternoon for talks.

The Gers ace would love nothing more than to commit himself to a new long-term deal at his boyhood heroes.

But as Rangers stall, the Turks are ready to swoop - ending Boyd's love affair with the Ibrox club.

Last night the hitman was remaining tight-lipped about his future.

Boyd revealed: "There has been a bit of speculation but I don't pay any attention to it.

"The thing for me was to get myself back in the team and back on the scoresheet. That's what I've done.

"Whatever happens, happens. I'll just keep my head down and take things from there.

"I'm not bothered about the contract situation because the most important thing was to get back in the team and back among the goals.

"There's not much else I can do after that."

Boyd was back doing what he does best at Ibrox on Saturday - scoring goals for his beloved Rangers.

After drawing a blank in pre-season he opened his account with the spot-kick winner against Hearts at Tynecastle last Sunday.

And his two goals against Accies - sandwiched between a Steven Whittaker double - have put him back on course for another golden boot.

The hitman smiled: "I'm happy to shut Lee McCulloch up. I'm fed-up listening to him banging on about being the top scorer.

"Seriously, it was good to get off the mark last week then get another two goals against Hamilton. I wanted to get back on the scoresheet but the most important thing was to get all three points. I know people were looking at me because I'd gone through pre-season without scoring.

"But I never doubted myself.

"When you play at a club like Rangers you cannot fail.

"There are so many chances created and as long as you keep finding the space and keep getting in the box the chances will come."

Advertisement

Steven Davis was outstanding against Hamilton - delivering a midfield masterclass with a hand in three of Rangers' four goals.

But Boyd also had special praise for Stevie Naismith - the man who laid on his second. Boyd last night insisted: "Stevie was excellent on Saturday, he's been like that since the start of the season.

"He's had a tough time with injuries but he's starting to show the kind of form which made his name at Kilmarnock.

"I know what he's capable of and he's beginning to show it. He played a great ball in for my second but then I thought the whole midfield played well.

"Steven Davis was also outstanding. I thought he controlled the game and he showed how big a player he is for us.

"Even against Hearts last week he was superb but then he's been putting in that kind of performance since he joined us. The bigger the game the better he performs."

Rangers are now 14 games unbeaten and with Maurice Edu and Kevin Thomson ready to return to the starting line-up, Smith's squad is looking strong as they prepare to mount a Champions League assault.

Boyd added: "We finished last season strongly and I think we've just carried that into the new campaign.

"That's us 14 games unbeaten and you have got to be happy with that.

"A lot has been made of the fact we've not signed anyone in the summer but we have a strong squad and I think the start we've made to the new season proves that.

"Maybe people outside the club doubted us but we never doubted ourselves.

"It's the same squad which won the league last season so I don't see any reason why we can't defend the title.

"Everybody expects to see new signings because it's a new season but we've shown it's not always necessary to add.

"I feel the team is actually getting stronger.

"Everybody needs games to get their match sharpness back but hopefully we will be firing on all cylinders after the international break."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...-over-Boyd.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if we sell boyd we surely can get a centre back in how much does the bank want they have aleady 19 million this summer and about 3.5 million saved on wages for a season the 19 million is from the 17 million champions league money and the 2 million in sales so far

Boyd better still be here come this transfer window shutting

agreed

no other club would let such an asset go for buttons :angry:

He should be on a 5 year deal at 25k+

goals are the hardest bit of football, and he gives us 30+ a season

His all round game and effort is definitely improving. Get him signed on a new contract Rangers FFS

(tu)

But this does make me think that someone else is pulling the strings...And they are pulling them very hard if we can't offer Boyd a contract, considering we are saving over 6 million a year on wages already.

His all round game and effort is definitely improving. Get him signed on a new contract Rangers FFS

(tu)

But this does make me think that someone else is pulling the strings...And they are pulling them very hard if we can't offer Boyd a contract, considering we are saving over 6 million a year on wages already.

Aye and the fact Walter is not allowed even one player. It really makes you wonder what the fuck is going on.

(tu)

Aye and the fact Walter is not allowed even one player. It really makes you wonder what the fuck is going on.

I wonder if someone has said 'Look, if you are not going to play Aaron, get him off the fucking wage bill'...

If he goes we should protest 'sack the board'.

Whether you love him or not, you have to see this would be a massive kick in the balls to the fans to save SDM some pocketmoney.

I cant see it tho - press talk (i hope)

I'd sack the board if they chose not to sell Boyd when the money is vital to the continuation of the club...

So if Boyd doesn't go, Rangers will fold?

Obviously not.

It's about as ridiculous as suggesting that our title challenge will fold if Boyd is sold.

Oh, wait.....

I'd sack the board if they chose not to sell Boyd when the money is vital to the continuation of the club...

So if Boyd doesn't go, Rangers will fold?

Not at all. I'm talking hypothetically. To suggest the board should be sacked if they make the decision to sell Boyd is ridiculous.

I just can't see where the goals will come from if he leaves. Others will score, but not anywhere near Boyd's magnitude.

Why do Rangers want to punt Boyd so badly? :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: FFS he scored against EVERY team in the SPL last season, apart from the scum. If Boyd goes we'll miss him and everyone on here will say theres not enough goals being scored if he leaves. :ph34r:

my point is the 'board' ( ie SDM and Tango man) will have driven the club to new depths if we HAVE to cash in our Highest Profile player for the sake of £1-2m when he is obviously worth WAY more than that when signed up for years and allowed to develop.

ie - we have become not just sensible, but DESPERATE.

If we play someone else as the 'main man' and give them the luxury of having Kenny Miller do all their donkey work, I'm sure they'd score plenty.

Killie were fine when Naisy took the mantle when Boyd left for us, and he's just one player that could do it.

Lafferty's a great finisher, Novo scored loads before he moved out to the right wing and as above, Naismith done fine at Killie when Boyd left.

Honestly, watching people cry about Boyd leaving angers me. It's Rangers FC, not Kris Boyd FC. We'll still be here once he's gone!