Champs dilemma over Boyd

ShaneRalfRoss

His goals to games ratio is outstanding.

It is, but you can't write off other people without giving them a chance.

I know you aren't, but it seems like others are.

I'd love to see Boyd do a Novo/Naismith and play wide left/wide right to see how many goals he gets then.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Boyd do a Novo/Naismith and play wide left/wide right to see how many goals he gets then.

Well, Boyd doesn't have the pace to play out there. Or the skill. But I'm not sure that these other players have that killer instinct where Boyd does. That's why he's a Striker, and not an attacking winger.

Well, Boyd doesn't have the pace to play out there. Or the skill. But I'm not sure that these other players have that killer instinct where Boyd does. That's why he's a Striker, and not an attacking winger.

Again, we won't know until they have a run of games there.

Think Thierry Henry - look what a move inside and a bit of confidence did for him.

Think Thierry Henry - look what a move inside and a bit of confidence did for him.

We know what they can do as they have scored goals at this level but Smith's favoured partnership is Boyd and Miller. And why shouldn't it be? Whats the point trying out a new partnership or a new formation when we have Boyd and Miller who will score goals at this level?

We know what they can do as they have scored goals at this level but Smith's favoured partnership is Boyd and Miller. And why shouldn't it be? Whats the point trying out a new partnership or a new formation when we have Boyd and Miller who will score goals at this level?

No contract - No Boyd.

Might have him for the rest of this year, but I'd rather cash in on him now than let him leave for free.

I'd sack the board if they chose not to sell Boyd when the money is vital to the continuation of the club...

mmm bit of a strange comment their mate,his goals are basically what has served and been a major part in the continuation of this club,love him or hate him ,we dont have and indeed will never get another kris boyd/prolific goalscorer..we sell him for the sake of a mere 2million ,we will lose at least double that by end december cause we will miss his goals and indeed dont have another goalscorer of his type,infact not many teams do..tbh

And then the world will explode and we'll all die.

ehhh,very constructive point of view,heard my 7 year old saying something similar other day although the context in which it was said made more sense.....

anyway we will just have to break the bank and sign another poacher then..in next 24hrs that isnt looking for any wages and.....no or we can take a gamble and hope that nacho(if played),lafferty(where played)or miller(if he doesnt lash out at ball in front of goal and keeps his composure), can score what say 40 goals between them?...still wouldnt be enough..

No contract - No Boyd.

Might have him for the rest of this year, but I'd rather cash in on him now than let him leave for free.

So would I but there is no point selling Boyd unless we have to. He is a great member of the squad and even if he doesn't start certain games, he will start the next one and will most likely score.

I doubt the club would let him leave him for free when we've had offers of £3.8m for him in January.

No contract - No Boyd.

So would I but there is no point selling Boyd unless we have to. He is a great member of the squad and even if he doesn't start certain games, he will start the next one and will most likely score.

I doubt the club would let him leave him for free when we've had offers of £3.8m for him in January.

Maybe I'm missing your point here, but I'm confused :lol:

That's what the thread is all about. If these reports are true, then Smith is going to have to break up his favoured partnership, and that's why we were talking about it.

And really, if it comes between getting £2m for him or letting him go for free next year, we NEED to sell him.

No contract - No Boyd.

Then why haven't we offered him a new contract?

I agree. Its a partnership that works. But any departure of Boyd will mean we'll have to develop a new partnership (or preferably trio). We cannot just rule out it ever working! Boyd isn't the first big lump of a striker who scores for fun with a pacey workhorse beside him.

I didn't rule it out ever working. But can we afford the time to let the partnership gel in a title race which means that any slip ups could be fatal? I just don't know why anybody would want to swap the tried and trusted for an unknown partnership or front three.

No contract - No Boyd.

Then why haven't we offered him a new contract?

Can't afford to increase his wages maybe? Plus, even if it is January and he gets an offer. He won't leave straight away IMO and will try desperately to stay even if it means extending his contract on the same pay.

No contract - No Boyd.

Maybe I'm missing your point here, but I'm confused :lol:

That's what the thread is all about. If these reports are true, then Smith is going to have to break up his favoured partnership, and that's why we were talking about it.

And really, if it comes between getting £2m for him or letting him go for free next year, we NEED to sell him.

I agree that we need a fee but as I said before, I doubt he would leave on a free and would rather sign a 1 or 2 years extension. This isn't some player using Rangers as a stepping stone, this is a player who loves the club.

I agree. Its a partnership that works. But any departure of Boyd will mean we'll have to develop a new partnership (or preferably trio). We cannot just rule out it ever working! Boyd isn't the first big lump of a striker who scores for fun with a pacey workhorse beside him.

I didn't rule it out ever working. But can we afford the time to let the partnership gel in a title race which means that any slip ups could be fatal? I just don't know why anybody would want to swap the tried and trusted for an unknown partnership or front three.

I'm not advocating the sale of Boyd! All I'm saying (and have been saying all along) is that the sale of Boyd isn't the end of the season or indeed Rangers as some people seem to think it is (tu)

Definitely not but I don't think its wise to sell a great goal scorer in the last two days of the window when Bain has said we don't need to sell any key players.

I wouldn't trust any footballer as far as I could throw them.

Anyway, I don't think it'll be Boyd's decision if he was to leave on a free. I'm sure he'd rather move to pastures new (and sunny), pentuple his wages AND make the club a bit of a transfer fee.

I'd sack the board if they chose not to sell Boyd when the money is vital to the continuation of the club...

mmm bit of a strange comment their mate,his goals are basically what has served and been a major part in the continuation of this club,love him or hate him ,we dont have and indeed will never get another kris boyd/prolific goalscorer..we sell him for the sake of a mere 2million ,we will lose at least double that by end december cause we will miss his goals and indeed dont have another goalscorer of his type,infact not many teams do..tbh

ehhh,very constructive point of view,heard my 7 year old saying something similar other day although the context in which it was said made more sense.....

anyway we will just have to break the bank and sign another poacher then..in next 24hrs that isnt looking for any wages and.....no or we can take a gamble and hope that nacho(if played),lafferty(where played)or miller(if he doesnt lash out at ball in front of goal and keeps his composure), can score what say 40 goals between them?...still wouldnt be enough..

:rolleyes:

You're painting a horrific picture of doom and gloom! I thought I'd give your tale a suitable ending.

How exactly will we lose at least £4million by December? You've got me stumped there! And never get another scorer as prolific as Boyd? We've had plenty in our past so why won't we get another in the future?

well we have potentially 6 champions league games @ what 750k a win each,and if his goals see us through to the last 16 then how much more then..not saying we will win them all but we win 4 of them with his help and get through the group then its more than 4million.is it not.

im just not confident on taking a gamble ,letting him go and then hoping that someone will step up to the plate and give us the same goals ratio that boyd can...too much of a gamble im afraid.

I wouldn't trust any footballer as far as I could throw them.

Anyway, I don't think it'll be Boyd's decision if he was to leave on a free. I'm sure he'd rather move to pastures new (and sunny), pentuple his wages AND make the club a bit of a transfer fee.

Yeah, Bain, Johnston and Smith might make it clear that he should leave but I'm not sure he would willingly leave the club without us getting a fee. Especially when he was digging his heels in January.

I know what you mean though, Cuellar said he loved the club and then demanded to leave but I don't think the situations are the same.

:rolleyes:

You're painting a horrific picture of doom and gloom! I thought I'd give your tale a suitable ending.

How exactly will we lose at least £4million by December? You've got me stumped there! And never get another scorer as prolific as Boyd? We've had plenty in our past so why won't we get another in the future?

well we have potentially 6 champions league games @ what 750k a win each,and if his goals see us through to the last 16 then how much more then..not saying we will win them all but we win 4 of them with his help and get through the group then its more than 4million.is it not.

im just not confident on taking a gamble ,letting him go and then hoping that someone will step up to the plate and give us the same goals ratio that boyd can...too much of a gamble im afraid.

I doubt he'll start any champions league games anyway! Doesn't matter if he's here or somewhere else, I don't think he'll have much say in champions league money.

yeah i know that,probably the home games he will ,not away though knowing walter but i just see it as a bad move selling him for 2million unless as papa says the banks are really tightening the strings..

false economy on our part getting rid tbh,but in an ideal world with another proven 25 goal a season man waiting in the wings then it would be good business.but unfortunately we havnt got that ,wee nacho maybe ,but does walter think so?

Sometimes I think that you guys would do a lot better in judging this situation by watching some other sports.

See what happens to those teams that sell their top "scorer" in other sports. I think it is the same as this case... nothing good.

(tu)

I think a good analogy for Boyd is a baseball player who hits 40+ homeruns a season, but strikes out 140-150 times. He has his faults, but he can deliver the goods.

Sometimes I think that you guys would do a lot better in judging this situation by watching some other sports.

See what happens to those teams that sell their top "scorer" in other sports. I think it is the same as this case... nothing good.

(tu)

I think a good analogy for Boyd is a baseball player who hits 40+ homeruns a season, but strikes out 140-150 times. He has his faults, but he can deliver the goods.

That is what I was thinking.