CB Position

CANUCKBEAR10

I posted a while back that due to our current situation and the fact that we may not be able to get in any one before the window shuts how about playing Edu in the CB position and I got ripped to shreds. However, I saw him do this for the U.S. team and for Toronto FC and he looked pretty good. I know we shouldnt be playing players out of position but many defensive CM can play centre back. He is young and it might be in our best interest to work on developing him in both areas so that at least we have some option if we get some injuries.

Maurice Edu is not a CB!

Our CH options will be; Weir/Bougherra/Broadfoot/McCulloch/Webster/Wilson.

Neither is McCulloch (who also isnt a defensive midfielder) and, he has doe fine there. Edu actually has all the attributes to be another Boughera (who hasnt played most of his career at CB, but, LB/LW/LM, yet, people happily accept he is a CB without question) and, in another sense, would be another "ball player" at the back, with a bit of pace, which isnt a bad thing. Barring a lot of injuries, the lad isnt going to get a game in midfield now. Its not the daftest option, and, I would play him ahead of Webster, Broadfoot, McCulloch and, in all honesty, Weir a lot of the time.

Maurice Edu is not a CB!

Hey,

I totally understand what you are saying and I would rather he stay a defensive CM but I think if we get into a bad spot and if we were to lose Majid or Weir then I would rather have him in their than Broadfoot McCulloch, Webster or Wilson. Can you imagine in the CL vs Sevilla with those guys are the back (WOW!). Personally I would rather see the best players we have on the pitch and Edu is a better athlete and player than any of those other options. I am not saying this is ideal but when we are low on money we need to be creative. Its funny how about 6 months ago someone would have gotten kicked off this forum for saying McCulloch is a CB and now people are lining him up like he's bloddy Nesta (remember he is playing out of position just as much as Edu would be)

Maurice Edu is not a CB!

Hey,

I totally understand what you are saying and I would rather he stay a defensive CM but I think if we get into a bad spot and if we were to lose Majid or Weir then I would rather have him in their than Broadfoot McCulloch, Webster or Wilson. Can you imagine in the CL vs Sevilla with those guys are the back (WOW!). Personally I would rather see the best players we have on the pitch and Edu is a better athlete and player than any of those other options. I am not saying this is ideal but when we are low on money we need to be creative. Its funny how about 6 months ago someone would have gotten kicked off this forum for saying McCulloch is a CB and now people are lining him up like he's bloddy Nesta (remember he is playing out of position just as much as Edu would be)

mate i agree with you about edu, but do you think you can lay off young wilson. ffs him and fleck have no chance the boy hasnt even played and your slating him

Sorry about that. I dont say that stuff slating Wilson or any of the young guys but to rely on a 17 year old in games like that is not fare on us or on the player. If we stick some one like Wilson in games like that we are setting him up for failure. It takes a rare type of player to be able to handle pressure like that and when a young player plays in such an influential position as the CB I think that we could really hurt him. I am pumped that we have a player like him for the future and I hope the Wilson's, fleck's and all the other kids with potential get the chance to show their stuff but what I meant is that sticking them in to these high pressure games are not always the best for their development and I dont think its safe to rely on him as an option right now ( maybe for cup games and lower SPL oppostion games but not in Europe or Old firm).

as you mentioned them all in the same sentence i thought you meant he wasnt worth the chance. i defo agree that bug edu could do a job bot if him and boughie played together we wouldnt have any cb's theyd both be bombing forward lol. but in all seriousness i would have loved a new cb coming in and beasley and one other going away.

as you mentioned them all in the same sentence i thought you meant he wasnt worth the chance. i defo agree that bug edu could do a job bot if him and boughie played together we wouldnt have any cb's theyd both be bombing forward lol. but in all seriousness i would have loved a new cb coming in and beasley and one other going away.

Edu has the potential to be a very good midfielder, why would you want to stunt his growth as a player by shifting him out of position? He played at CB at the Olympics for 3 matches and didn't look comfortable at all, and played just about all of his games at TFC as a central midfielder.

Edu has the potential to be a very good midfielder, why would you want to stunt his growth as a player by shifting him out of position? He played at CB at the Olympics for 3 matches and didn't look comfortable at all, and played just about all of his games at TFC as a central midfielder.

I guess the reason for my suggestion is that he is probably the better option and since he is a good player who will probably not get a game with Thomson back it the squad this is a way to keep him playing rather than have him on the bench. He is a good enough athlete and player that he could do the job in their. Do you think his ability will grow as he sits on the bench each week or plays only in cup games or the last 10 mins of spl games? I am not saying that we should covert him into a CB, I know he has a lot of potential to be a good Defensive CM but in our and his situation this might be the best way of getting him a game and not leaving us too exposed at the CB position.

Thats the exact reason that I suggested Edu! We all know that Papac is a consistant left back but we also know that he cannot cut it at CB especially in the CL or Old firm games. I know for one that would scare the hell outta me if he was playing there.

Thats the exact reason that I suggested Edu! We all know that Papac is a consistant left back but we also know that he cannot cut it at CB especially in the CL or Old firm games. I know for one that would scare the hell outta me if he was playing there.

I think playing Edu, who doesn't look as if he can win the ball in the air when in midfield, would scare me a lot more at centre back.

In saying that,Broadfoot scared me s/less when he played in central defence and McCulloch lacks the intelligence and awareness to play against decent teams in defence or midfield.

I would far rather play players in positions they are strong in and used to playing.