Lippi: I won't call up Cassano

andy500

Marcello Lippi stands firm against calling up Antonio Cassano for the Italy squad. “It would be nice for people to respect my decisions.”

Every day newspapers and television shows in the peninsula take opinion polls on whether Sampdoria starlet Cassano ought to be included for the World Cup qualifiers.

“I have absolutely nothing against Cassano,” said Lippi in his Press conference ahead of matches with Georgia and Bulgaria.

“He is an excellent professional and a good lad. I respect everyone’s opinion and all the polls that say fans want him in the Nazionale.

“However, it would be nice for these same people to respect my decisions and opinions.”

Lippi had hinted he would not call Cassano until the player had proved a calmer and more professional attitude than in the past.

Those criteria have now been met, but the Coach continues to ignore him for the 2010 World Cup.

“The Cassano debate doesn’t irritate me in the slightest. A similar situation happened to pretty much every Coach in my position and will do in the future as well.”

The Italy manager sounding very, very stubborn about the Cassano situation.