The REAL problem with the motherwell game!

Del

I am building up to a large post on this in the next few days Del, much in the same vein as this.

*Hint, you've spoiled mine now* :crab:

:P

If his use of the English language is better than that used in the Kenny Miller article, it's all good!! :D

Still to be edited :crab:

Nothing special tbh. Aberdeen are absolutely rotten, and St. Johnstone are not much better.

We made Motherwell look a decent side. If you were a neutral, you would hardly know what ones were the Champions, and competing in the Champions League, and what ones were fighting it out for a top 6 place in one of thje worst leagues in World football.

I didn't say they're special though & I agree that we made them look good, but they did play some really good football. I counted at least 3 of their attacking moves that could easily have ended in goals. By all accounts I'd say we were fortunate that they didn't put a couple past us in open play, never mind the penalty!

Like you, I've got issues with our team selection & tactics. I didn't think Weir or Miller should have played yesterday, I don't like seeing McCulloch in central midfield or Davis playing right midfield when his better position is central. I wanted to see Rothen, but in retrospect it would probably have been more prudent to bring him off the bench in the second half & to have started with Naismith & maybe Novo.

If we're going to be playing with this new 4-3-3 formation then it seems obvious to me that Boyd isn't the answer up front. His hold up play is shoddy at best and he isn't very good at bringing others in to the game. So if we're going 4-3-3 then I think we've got to play Miller through the middle.

I also think that at least domestically we should play Naismith on the left as Rothen didn't seem to care a lot for tracking back. The amount of space their big number 2 got at times was ridiculous. Ofcourse it was his first game so he'll need another few games to get up to speed, but it's a few games too many tbh.

Nothing special tbh. Aberdeen are absolutely rotten, and St. Johnstone are not much better.

We made Motherwell look a decent side. If you were a neutral, you would hardly know what ones were the Champions, and competing in the Champions League, and what ones were fighting it out for a top 6 place in one of thje worst leagues in World football.

I didn't say they're special though & I agree that we made them look good, but they did play some really good football. I counted at least 3 of their attacking moves that could easily have ended in goals. By all accounts I'd say we were fortunate that they didn't put a couple past us in open play, never mind the penalty!

Like you, I've got issues with our team selection & tactics. I didn't think Weir or Miller should have played yesterday, I don't like seeing McCulloch in central midfield or Davis playing right midfield when his better position is central. I wanted to see Rothen, but in retrospect it would probably have been more prudent to bring him off the bench in the second half & to have started with Naismith & maybe Novo.

Weir looks out on his feet already. Real worry for Wednesday and again on Sunday, especially without Bougherra :anguish:

Major error in not bringing in a CB over the summer.

Im not sure if its formation or the fact of the stuttgart game midweek playing on the players minds... Not wanting to be tired or pick up injuries? Because to me there was a total lack of effort all round which hasnt been like us at all this season in the previous games. I hope not for the sake of our league defence

Weir looks out on his feet already. Real worry for Wednesday and again on Sunday, especially without Bougherra :anguish:

Major error in not bringing in a CB over the summer.

Definitely & if they're not going to play the young lad Wilson this early in the season against a Motherwell team full of youth you have to wonder if they'll play him at all in SPL games. I'd have played him yesterday.

Seems to me like we could be doing with bringing in a CB who's a free agent sooner rather than later.