1872 or 1873?

whyrusogood

1872 or 1873?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. what do u recognise?

Horrible poll. chopping a year off for no reason :(

it is horrible when u actually see the poll...iv just bought the book by gary ralston and its an interesting read...its amazing that even moses mcneil himself was quoted as saying 1873 but was apparently influenced by john allan the first historian...its a shame that we all have different opinions on this when it really is 1872 but again the one to blame for this is GLASGOW RANGERS!! COME ON TELL ALL THE FANS FFS!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible poll. chopping a year off for no reason :(

it is horrible when u actually see the poll...iv just bought the book by gary ralston and its an interesting read...its amazing that even moses mcneil himself was quoted as saying 1873 but was apparently influenced by john allan the first historian...its a shame that we all have different opinions on this when it really is 1872 but again the one to blame for this is GLASGOW RANGERS!! COME ON TELL ALL THE FANS FFS!!

Not too sure if im right but in those days it was a big mile stone for a club to get to 50 years? and they were on the 50 year mark and celebrated it as if we were formed 1873. so they actually celebrated 51 years.

and why the fuck do the people working at the club not have a clue its the club who should be leading the way instead of authors of books!!

It's been stated for many a year that the club did play games in 1872, i learnt that from my book from WH Smiths on Rangers back in the 90's.

But the club, as i just wrote, see 1873 as the year they had an 'official meeting' and became 'business like'. I still think they are trying to talk themselves out of the fact they wrongly changed the 50th anniversary to 1923.

Although, Moses McNeil, in his article in the paper regarding the formation of the club, does say that he and the founding fathers 'formed' the team in May 1873 at Glasgow Green.

Odd.

You're spot on McBoyd. "Rangers - the Complete Record" is clear that we were playing games in 1872. Seems 1873 is when the first general meeting took place, and office bearers were first elected. That's maybe where the confusion comes from.