The Barcelona model for Rangers

tonto

I like the idea, maybe £1000 pa is too much of a commitment for most fans, but if those members had reduced season tickets, and say 25% off buying rangers goods in Rangers stores and other similar benefits, where there is still income generated for the club, that could really work.

The last time we felt the 'call' was manchester 2008, some say 200,000 fans were there, I was there, just felt the need to be there, we all had associated costs in that trip say a couple of hundred quid on average. So if becoming a new member meant a couple of hundred quid to help guide our beloved club albeit maybe only for a few years out of this turmoil then this is one fan that would without question.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the internal politics that goes on between the various supporters groups?

Imagine them taking that to the boardroom at Ibrox.

It would be an absolute shambles from day one.

The supporters do not take to the board room, they democratically elect a board of directors, as the Barca model clearly indicates.

Again it goes back to the case of the politics involved within various sections of our support.

There would be far too many different opinions on our board for them to ever agree on anything.

The OP proved that with his 'RST is better than the RSA' type post.

Have you seen the internal politics that goes on between the various supporters groups?

The supporters do not take to the board room, they democratically elect a board of directors, as the Barca model clearly indicates.

Again it goes back to the case of the politics involved within various sections of our support.

There would be far too many different opinions on our board for them to ever agree on anything.

Sorry you must be mistaking me for someone else, I do not get involved in fans factions, my allegiance is purely and simply to Rangers FC, full stop.

Sorry you must be mistaking me for someone else, I do not get involved in fans factions, my allegiance is purely and simply to Rangers FC, full stop.

Apologies, confused you with Tommy ;)

I like the idea, maybe £1000 pa is too much of a commitment for most fans, but if those members had reduced season tickets, and say 25% off buying rangers goods in Rangers stores and other similar benefits, where there is still income generated for the club, that could really work.

The last time we felt the 'call' was manchester 2008, some say 200,000 fans were there, I was there, just felt the need to be there, we all had associated costs in that trip say a couple of hundred quid on average. So if becoming a new member meant a couple of hundred quid to help guide our beloved club albeit maybe only for a few years out of this turmoil then this is one fan that would without question.

This definitely wouldn't work if it was only for a few years. If we went down this road we'd have to stay on it, you can't turn round and say to the fans help us fund this for a say until we get back on our feet and then you're out on your arse again. And the Barcelona model is 155 euros a year for an adult member of the club, with a 10% discount on club merchandise from official club stores, and up to a 20% discount on tickets.

This system would collapse.

Are people forgetting we don't have a massive stadium, or a world-class team?

I, like DBBTB, have never been a fan of this idea, let the proffessionals run the club, because fans would rule with their hearts, not their heads.

I, like DBBTB, have never been a fan of this idea, let the proffessionals run the club, because fans would rule with their hearts, not their heads.

We have let the alleged professionals run the club, into the ground.

It simply wouldn't work, and after the last share issue it seems that people aren't that bothered anyway.

Exactly alright for smaller clubs, could you imagine 60,000 boabs wantin their own way ? :sherlock:

This definitely wouldn't work if it was only for a few years. If we went down this road we'd have to stay on it, you can't turn round and say to the fans help us fund this for a say until we get back on our feet and then you're out on your arse again. And the Barcelona model is 155 euros a year for an adult member of the club, with a 10% discount on club merchandise from official club stores, and up to a 20% discount on tickets.

"..only for a few years... to get back on our feet...", then its peoples choice to continue which Im sure they would, the rest of the post was more important than that little few words...

why wouldn't it work?.

Start by paying the debt, then the money the fans pay goes to what we want it to, new signings.

If the board of maj. shareholder want to invest further, so be it.

I think its a good idea.

why wouldn't it work?.

Start by paying the debt, then the money the fans pay goes to what we want it to, new signings.

I think its a good idea.

This system wouldn't work because too many people wouldn't understand it properly. There would be far too much "I've invested X amount and we have only signed three players with it. This is pure shite. I want ma money back"

SDM has been a disaster, but as somebody said, let's leave the running of the club to the professionals and worry about getting behind the team.

We didn't complain when we were being led to titles.

Get some perspective, if this was the best option, d'you not think everyone would be doing it?

Gordon Brown's been pish as a PM, but we're not calling for the abolishment of Parliament are we?

why wouldn't it work?.

I think its a good idea.

This system wouldn't work because too many people wouldn't understand it properly. There would be far too much "I've invested X amount and we have only signed three players with it. This is pure shite. I want ma money back"

SDM has been a disaster, but as somebody said, let's leave the running of the club to the professionals and worry about getting behind the team.

Exactly, plus, people would invest money on top of the annual fee, and then would expect more rights than the others, until eventually one guy invests so much he owns the club, and we're back to where we are now.

If this happened, we'd be a ruined club by 2012.

why wouldn't it work?.

I think its a good idea.

Exactly, plus, people would invest money on top of the annual fee, and then would expect more rights than the others, until eventually one guy invests so much he owns the club, and we're back to where we are now.

If this happened, we'd be a ruined club by 2012.

Agree mate in our case i think someone will always think they own the club more than other fellow fans

We didn't complain when we were being led to titles.

Get some perspective, if this was the best option, d'you not think everyone would be doing it?

Gordon Brown's been pish as a PM, but we're not calling for the abolishment of Parliament are we?

Things are clearly different when the truth is exposed, it really does prove the old adage, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"

You appear to think we have a parliament, don't you mean a dictatorship, which has always paid little or no heed to the populace, I could give you an analogy for that, but you already probably know it.

It simply wouldn't work, and after the last share issue it seems that people aren't that bothered anyway.

Exactly alright for smaller clubs, could you imagine 60,000 boabs wantin their own way ? :sherlock:

doh .... and the title of the thread is the Barcelona model!

Wouldn't be 60,000 anyway as the ground doesn't hold that - you could only have as many members as there are seats as they are all guaranteed tickets. The members then get to elect the board including the chairman and hopefully we would see the interested parties competing with each other to bring in extra money for transfers.

I doubt we could buy the club for under 40M however - that would be (for instance) about £1400 for 30,000 members to pay. That's a lot of money but it could be financed over, say, 5 years and combined with a 20% reduction in season ticket price for members (that's equivalent to about £600).

I'd definitely support this model, but I'm not sure if there are enough out there who think the same.

BTW - the "idea" in that Herald article is a non starter - there's no way I would pay unless the members get to decide the board.

The elected president installs his own selected board.

Every five years, and occasionally more often, an election is held among the socios for club president, and the winning candidate installs a board of directors and determines club policy. It's an exercise in democracy far better than Spain itself managed during much of the 20th century.

Barca has nearly 160.000 members, the stadia holds 96,000.

The barca system doesn’t work well at all, they had one of the worst debt problems in world football until very recently. They were bailed out by wealthy investors and local government.

Really, I cannot seem to find one single reference for your claim, perhaps you have the neccessary reputable sources, we would not want to be relying on the Hebden Times, would we.

Do you not know how to use google ?

they were in 200 million euro of debt in 2006 until they got bailed out, plenty of stuff around, here is the first link i got it took me all of 2 secs to find

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...474&cc=5739

They are still in debt as are Real Madrid, but serviceable by turnover, this report appears to put a rather different view and not a word about baleouts or rich investors, which would be against the clubs articles of association. http://www.football-industry.com/2009/04/2...osses-climb-93/

The elected president installs his own selected board.

Every five years, and occasionally more often, an election is held among the socios for club president, and the winning candidate installs a board of directors and determines club policy. It's an exercise in democracy far better than Spain itself managed during much of the 20th century.

Barca has nearly 160.000 members, the stadia holds 96,000.

How does that work then? Surely all the members are entitled to apply for tickets?

I don't think this will work as fans will be asked to pay money. Of the 40 k or so season ticket holders less than half would put up another 100 quid. Unfortunately our support doesn't realise how much it costs to run the club let alone service our current debt. They still want success though. Haven't looked at the count for the online petition but I imagine it will be under 1200 so there are really not that many people concerned by our current plight..