** Official F1 Season 2010 Thread **

Chookes

Can't see Hamilton//Button working at the same team tbh.

Hamilton will want to be seen as the Number 1 driver, despite being relatively poor over the last year.

How was he relatively poor over the last year <cr>?

He never looked like challenging for anything until the last few races of the season.

That was solely down to the car. I think I remember reading that if the season started halfway through the season, Hamilton would have come out top.

He got the maximum points out of that season with the car he started with.

I'm not really a fan of Hamilton or Button, but Hamilton will blow Button away in the same car.

Daft move to be honest by Button, but if I was an F1 driver and Ferrari or McLaren came in for me, I'd go in a flash.

Can't see Hamilton//Button working at the same team tbh.

Hamilton will want to be seen as the Number 1 driver, despite being relatively poor over the last year.

How was he relatively poor over the last year <cr>?

He never looked like challenging for anything until the last few races of the season.

That was solely down to the car. I think I remember reading that if the season started halfway through the season, Hamilton would have come out top.

He got the maximum points out of that season with the car he started with.

the car is built using data provided by testing and from the driver so can't pin it solely on the car tbh but it certainley is a factor in the poor first half of a season.

the car is built using data provided by testing and from the driver so can't pin it solely on the car tbh but it certainley is a factor in the poor first half of a season.

That's true but you have to remember the biggest difference between the McLaren and Brawn cars, for example, at the start of last season was the double diffuser. It was no coincidence that the when McLaren introduced their upgrades, bringing them up to the par with other teams when they looked well behind, that Hamilton's results improved.

I can't remember off the top of my head but the difference the diffuser made, time-wise, was massive (in F1 terms).

That's true but you have to remember the biggest difference between the McLaren and Brawn cars, for example, at the start of last season was the double diffuser. It was no coincidence that the when McLaren introduced their upgrades, bringing them up to the par with other teams when they looked well behind, that Hamilton's results improved.

I can't remember off the top of my head but the difference the diffuser made, time-wise, was massive (in F1 terms).

yeah i can agree with that , all in all im just looking forward to more than 2 people contesting the title in very competitive cars with no team orders just on you go lads best man wins :) .

last year was an improvement with the Red Bulls and Brawns etc lets hope the Ferrari and Mclaren guys get going from the off and we should have a cracker

last year was an improvement with the Red Bulls and Brawns etc lets hope the Ferrari and Mclaren guys get going from the off and we should have a cracker

McLaren, and Ferrari too, came onto a game at the latter part of last season. We may have the most widely competitive season of late next year (tu).

I am very much looking forward to it.

Before chookes gets it in :lol:

The Renault team will race on in Formula 1 next year after a deal was struck to secure its future, BBC Sport has learned.

The company had considered its future in F1, but sources say its team will continue under new owners with Renault keeping a minority 25% shareholding.

The team are set to be notified at their headquarters on Friday, with an official announcement likely next week.

It has also been agreed that the team will race as Renault in 2010.

The two front-runners in the battle to take over the team were Luxembourg businessman Gerard Lopez, and David Richards, the boss of the British motor racing engineering firm Prodrive and former team principal of Benetton and BAR in F1.

Lopez is considered the favourite to take over Renault under the auspices of his Genii Capital investment company.

The team's future has been in doubt since Renault held an emergency board meeting in early November to discuss whether to continue in F1.

F1 team review - Renault

The issue has been discussed at further meetings of Renault bosses last week and this, with a final decision understood to have been taken at an executive board meeting on Wednesday.

Detail beyond that is sketchy at the moment, including whether Robert Kubica will be retained as lead driver after signing a contract to replace double world champion Fernando Alonso, who has moved to Ferrari.

Given that the Renault identity will remain it seems certain that the highly rated Pole will be retained.

Renault's decision to examine its participation in F1 came after the team's worst season since it returned to the sport as a constructor in 2002.

They finished eighth out of 10 teams in the world championship, with their best result Alonso's third place in the Singapore Grand Prix.

Far worse for Renault's reputation, though, was the Singapore race-fixing scandal.

Renault were handed a ban from F1, suspended for two years, after being found guilty of asking Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to aid Alonso's chances of winning.

Team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds were banned from motorsport for their part in the conspiracy - Briatore for life and Symonds for five years.

Analysis: Renault race-fixing controversy

Both are contesting their bans in the French courts, with a verdict due in the new year.

Piquet was not punished by governing body the FIA after agreeing to blow the whistle on the affair, even though Symonds gave evidence that the plan was the Brazilian's idea.

Two of the team's major sponsors, the Dutch bank ING and the Spanish insurance company Mutua Madrilena ended their relationship with the team with immediate effect over the affair.

Renault's uncertainty over its future in F1 came at the end of a year that has seen three of the major road-car manufacturers end their involvement in the sport.

Honda quit in December last year, but helped secure a management buy-out of its team, which raced as Brawn GP in 2009 and won the drivers' and constructors' world championships.

BMW announced in July its decision to quit F1 at the end of the season, and Toyota made public its withdrawal a few days after the final race in early November.

Despite that, once Renault officially confirms the future of its team, the F1 grid is set to have six more cars on it in 2010 than this year's 20.

606: DEBATE

Your thoughts on Renault's future

BMW has sold its team back to their Swiss founder Peter Sauber, while four new teams have entered.

The Lotus name is returning with a new team set up by Air Asia founder Tony Fernandes.

The Virgin brand, which sponsored Brawn in 2009, has joined forces with the successful junior category race team Manor to form Virgin Grand Prix, which will be launched in London on 15 December.

They will be joined by Spain's Campos Meta 1 and American outfit US F1.

Before chookes gets it in :lol:

I've been doing courseworks, read it but didn't have the time to post it :).

It's cracking news, the more teams the better and losing one of the big boys (I'd put Renault in that bracket) would have been a shame (tu).

• 1 month later...

Changes to the point scoring system AGAIN (2nd change in 2 months) here is the story from the BBC:

Formula 1 will operate a new points system for the 2010 season after an agreement between the sports governing body (FIA) and the teams.

The new system will see the top 10 rewarded in a 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 sequence to encourage racing to win.

Tyre rules will also be modified so drivers will have to start the race on the same set of tyres with which their grid time was set in qualifying.

In another development, 'double diffusers' will be banned from 2011.

The Formula One Commission, a decision-making forum for the teams and major stakeholders, agreed the amendments to the sporting and technical regulations at a meeting on Monday.

606: DEBATE

|What is your reaction to the scoring system changes?

The measures will be submitted to the World Motor Sport Council for final approval within 48 hours, which is usually a formality once all of the parties have agreed on changes.

The new ruling on tyres, reducing the number of dry weather sets per team from 14 to 11, should introduce another strategic element to races.

"In addition, to encourage teams to run during the Friday practice sessions, one set has to be returned before the start of the second practice session, and two sets before the start of the third practice session," said an FIA statement.

The decision to ban the 'split level' or 'double-decker' diffuser will not come into effect this year. The main diffuser will be allowed in 2011, but its permitted height will be reduced from 175mm to 125mm.

Diffusers improve downforce by channelling the flow of air smoothly under the car, but in 2009 there was controversy when eventual champions Brawn, Toyota and Williams produced radical versions of their own.

Teams unveiling their 2010 cars have been coy about their rear diffusers, sparking fears that a fresh row could erupt when the season starts on March 14 in Bahrain.

"This is the first car in which we have had a clean sheet of paper to really exploit the interpretation that was developed last year for a design of floors," McLaren engineering director Paddy Lowe said at their launch last week.

"You will see we have produced a fairly extreme incarnation of that but we won't be alone in that. We believe you will see some pretty extreme solutions on our competitors' cars as well."

Felipe Massa is the fastest currently at winter testing in Valencia.

Michael Schumacher has been outpacing Nico Rosberg.

Ah, you found the official thread then? :P In your defence, I was lazy and didn't update so it was well down the list.

Massa on top is interesting. What's more interesting is that he's about a second a half quicker than Hamilton.

1st day testing Alonso jumps in and does a lap 0.2 slower than Massa , and is now faster than Massa has been after a few more laps todays times as of 1130am:

That man Alonso has gone faster again - and has now posted the best time of the three days so far, a one minute 11.599 seconds. Then it's Pedro de la Rosa's Sauber on 1:12.094, Michael Schumacher's Mercedes (1:12.438), Jaime Alguersuari in the Toro Rosso (1:12.576), McLaren's Jenson Button (1:13.783), the Williams of Nico Hulkenberg (1:14.338), and finally Vitaly Petrov's Renault (1:14.07).

and then at 1255: Pace-setter Alonso lops another 0.1secs off his best time for Ferrari, leaving it at one minute 11.470 seconds - 0.6secs quicker than anyone else

• 3 weeks later...

USF1 has asked to miss the first 4 races of the season.

Campos Meta who have Bruno Senna signed have confirmed they have been bought over and are confident on being on the grid for the first race.

• 1 month later...