Our next manager: It'll be Craig Levein not Ally

Muff - Not sure what McLeish has to do with this. Are you suggesting Davies would lead us to third in a two horse race?

Bruno - he got his clubs promoted but never as champions. I'm stll pretending he never failed in the Scottish and Englush top flights.

Flecky - are you trying to tell me Davies couldn't be expected to win any of the lower leagues he's meant to be a master in with Nottingham Forest, Derby County or Preston North End? I always thought they were relatively big clubs down south.

Motherwell - I can't be 100% on. I feel he was a victim of circumstance but at the end of the day he signed the players on the big wages so maybe. Still it was his first management job and he deserves to be cut some slack. I'd still argue against him being a failure though. Did he not take Motherwell to 3rd/4th (Not sure?? - somebody?)

Derby - Massive success. Too succesful in fact. Look at his budget in the Premiership. On a shoe string he had derby on 13 points (again I think - not sure) I believe they finished the season on something like 16 (Again not sure). He did exceptionally well in the Premiership for his budget. Relations with the chairman were soured after Davis asked for money in the summer, wan't given it and threatened to walk away. Hence the swiftness of his departure. I bet the Derby board would crawl on broken glass to have him back now and I bet Davis is glad to be at a club where he has the full backing of the board.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flecky - let's get one thing straight. I do not like McCarthy. His record however is the equal of Davies and all on here would have him down as a laughing stock.

I disagree with youR analysis of the clubs Davies has managed and the expectations there. Everyone is choosing to forget that he assembled the worst team in EPL history. Or am I forgetting it wasn't his fault and their performances under his charge weren't frightfully bad?

Muff - McLeish actually won a lower league before becoming manager. Davies has not. I'm not in the mood for a debate on McLeish but I'm not sure what he did to justify getting the Rangers job as you correctly point out.

Flecky - let's get one thing straight. I do not like McCarthy. His record however is the equal of Davies and all on here would have him down as a laughing stock.

I disagree with youR analysis of the clubs Davies has managed and the expectations there. Everyone is choosing to forget that he assembled the worst team in EPL history. Or am I forgetting it wasn't his fault and their performances under his charge weren't frightfully bad?

Muff - McLeish actually won a lower league before becoming manager. Davies has not. I'm not in the mood for a debate on McLeish but I'm not sure what he did to justify getting the Rangers job as you correctly point out.

then why even mention micky, hes a nobody, how can you disagree with the clubs expectations? all 3 English clubs were in a total mess when he took over, he done remarkably well, none of them expected to do as well as he done with them. he didnt assemble the worst ever team, mccarthy did at sunderland!

A league that Hibs were always going to win. They strolled it by about 25 odd points, and only lost 2 or 3 times that season.

Billy Davies has managed in harder leagues, with clubs who at the time, were nowhere near being title contenders, yet has take them to play off's, and promotion to the Premiership. He may also take Forest to the Premiership this season, a club who he saved from relegation last season.

Flecky - Thick Mick gets mentioned because his achievements are at least the equal of Davies'. We all have a good laugh at him yet I'm expected to swallow the fact Davies is a great manager?

Again, I disagree with your views on those clubs and I'm pretty sure the squad Davies assembled and managed at Derby is the worst team ever in the EPL. You disagree so we're at an impasse.

Flecky - Thick Mick gets mentioned because his achievements are at least the equal of Davies'. We all have a good laugh at him yet I'm expected to swallow the fact Davies is a great manager?

Again, I disagree with your views on those clubs and I'm pretty sure the squad Davies assembled and managed at Derby is the worst team ever in the EPL. You disagree so we're at an impasse.

(tu)

bruno makes a good point below(pea-shooters n bazookas!)

I don't disagree with it being the worst team in EPL history but I am saying that there were reasons behind it. If I am given a pea shooter and my enemies all have bazookas then I'm going to be up against it.

I think Levein although a decent manager is not my choice, at the moment but maybe if he qualifies for the euros! Id rather have Billy Davies or Derek McIness, but I think we should go with a dutch coach and let him have a full run of all footballing matters, youth team to the senior side. Maybe a Martin Jol, or Even Advocaat

Have to be honest and say I'm not at all convinced Ally can be a successful manager of Rangers.

For me the thing that matters most in a manager is AUTHORITY - and for you to have that authority the players need an element of respect and fear in their dealing with the man in the hot seat. The authority comes from a few different things but most of all it comes from RESPECT and FEAR.

Been listening to the debates on why there's no successful English manager at work in the EPL at the moment and there's a number of reasons that won't happen but one things for sure the players down there KNOW that if they have a young English manager then they have a ready made excuse for not putting in the work - it's an easy get-out for lazy unscrupulous players! The media down there just don't have any fear on young English managers and because they get by on newsprint it's very easy for them to take the line of least resistence and blame the 'inexperienced' managers. I think young Scottish managers down there have a good start in the way of fear as our accents tend to engender that fear in the players - whether they can get the media onboard is partly down to that too...

Now, back to Ally... My take on our situation is that Walter may 'officially' go along with the idea of Ally taking over but I think he's already got the man for the job and that's Craig Levein. I think Walter publicly backing him for the National team was quite smart - he'll see if Craig has what it takes to handle the pressure (obviously there were question marks at Dundee Utd) and if he can and it's already clear he can man manage and get respect among the players, then it's a case of problem sorted!

As for Ally my advice (if he's determined to be a Rangers manager) would be for him to get away from Ibrox (after WS goes) and then stay out of the public spotlight for a few years and manage a lower league team and to start gaining the skills of man management. At the moment Ally just wants to please all the people all of the time - he has the potential to be a great manager but if that's to become a reality he needs to have a serious look at his personna!!!

Just as well you have nothing to do with rangers eh :rolleyes:

Have to be honest and say I'm not at all convinced Ally can be a successful manager of Rangers.

For me the thing that matters most in a manager is AUTHORITY - and for you to have that authority the players need an element of respect and fear in their dealing with the man in the hot seat. The authority comes from a few different things but most of all it comes from RESPECT and FEAR.

Been listening to the debates on why there's no successful English manager at work in the EPL at the moment and there's a number of reasons that won't happen but one things for sure the players down there KNOW that if they have a young English manager then they have a ready made excuse for not putting in the work - it's an easy get-out for lazy unscrupulous players! The media down there just don't have any fear on young English managers and because they get by on newsprint it's very easy for them to take the line of least resistence and blame the 'inexperienced' managers. I think young Scottish managers down there have a good start in the way of fear as our accents tend to engender that fear in the players - whether they can get the media onboard is partly down to that too...

Now, back to Ally... My take on our situation is that Walter may 'officially' go along with the idea of Ally taking over but I think he's already got the man for the job and that's Craig Levein. I think Walter publicly backing him for the National team was quite smart - he'll see if Craig has what it takes to handle the pressure (obviously there were question marks at Dundee Utd) and if he can and it's already clear he can man manage and get respect among the players, then it's a case of problem sorted!

As for Ally my advice (if he's determined to be a Rangers manager) would be for him to get away from Ibrox (after WS goes) and then stay out of the public spotlight for a few years and manage a lower league team and to start gaining the skills of man management. At the moment Ally just wants to please all the people all of the time - he has the potential to be a great manager but if that's to become a reality he needs to have a serious look at his personna!!!

Just as well you have nothing to do with rangers eh :rolleyes:

Get you Betty!!! :craphead:

Another one of those 'cutting' remarks of yours eh!! :pierre:

The mark of snide bums the world round - can't articulate anything remotely resembling common sense so puts forward inference...

Jesus H Christ it must be mind-numbing being a male nurse... Away and shove your thermometer where it'll put a smile on your face! :lol:

I think Levein although a decent manager is not my choice, at the moment but maybe if he qualifies for the euros! Id rather have Billy Davies or Derek McIness, but I think we should go with a dutch coach and let him have a full run of all footballing matters, youth team to the senior side. Maybe a Martin Jol, or Even Advocaat

I think Billy Davis's time will come if he proves it he can make the grade with a team that's EXPECTED to win and the pressure to bring out results is strong! He's way behind Craig Levein in the starting blocks as far as I'm concerned - I'd likely go with Ally before Billy.

Btw, if his team can't beat Alex McLeish's (and a lot of Bears think he was a poor Gers manager - not my opinion) Birmingham then that in itself tells me he's behind a few... Jimmy Calderwood inc!

Billy Davies would be a good choice.

After McCoist's remarks about Rangers fans in Romania, he should be fucking chased out of Ibrox. Fuck him.

What exactly did McCoist say about rangers which would make us want to "chase him out of ibrox" <cr> ?

fans

he was out of order, speaking about something he had no clue about

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?o...4&Itemid=26

For anyone not sure.

After McCoist's remarks about Rangers fans in Romania, he should be fucking chased out of Ibrox. Fuck him.

What exactly did McCoist say about rangers which would make us want to "chase him out of ibrox" <cr> ?

fans

For anyone not sure.

Ally just wants to be loved don't you know - few Gers men know (Jock Wallace and others) how important Rangers are and how UNIMPORTANT their ego's are!

He is just one of those folk that want to please everyone all of the time - it just can't be done..

fans

For anyone not sure.

Ally just wants to be loved don't you know - few Gers men know (Jock Wallace and others) how important Rangers are and how UNIMPORTANT their ego's are!

He is just one of those folk that want to please everyone all of the time - it just can't be done..

thats part of the reason why he would be a crap Rangers manager

(tu)

thats part of the reason why he would be a crap Rangers manager

(tu)

EXACTLY - to be a great manager means to separate yourself off from players and not give a rats ass what they think, he just cares too much about being Mr Popular! That is fine BUT NOT FOR A MANAGER OF RANGERS FC!

I think Billy Davis's time will come if he proves it he can make the grade with a team that's EXPECTED to win and the pressure to bring out results is strong! He's way behind Craig Levein in the starting blocks as far as I'm concerned - I'd likely go with Ally before Billy.

Btw, if his team can't beat Alex McLeish's (and a lot of Bears think he was a poor Gers manager - not my opinion) Birmingham then that in itself tells me he's behind a few... Jimmy Calderwood inc!

I'm not sure why you have a hard-on for Levein. I have doubts about Davies but he has some decent managerial achievements. What has Levein ever achieved?