Luger dies in Olympic training session!

LegendofCoop

You'd need to be off your fucking nut to do that in the first place!

Poor guy. At least he went doing the thing he enjoyed most.

Crashing into a Steel girder at 88 miles per hour??? <cr>

88 miles per hour you say?

back%20to%20the%20future.jpg

:) I'm claiming an assist for that post mate....think I set you up nicely! ;) @ Wullie.....penny finally dropped...Luger/pistol....got it at last! :)

Can't believe they are going ahead with the event. I'd be fucking pulling out if I was in it. How they say that the track isn't dangerous is beyond me! I just hope that no one else 'over compensates' that bend!

You'd need to be off your fucking nut to do that in the first place!

Poor guy. At least he went doing the thing he enjoyed most.

Crashing into a Steel girder at 88 miles per hour??? <cr>

88 miles per hour you say?

back%20to%20the%20future.jpg

ah so he isnt dead then, just that half his body went back to 1955 (hope i got the year right, cant be arsed googling it lol)

this track is getting well slated

poor kid...comes to the Olympics only to lose his life :rip:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- So this is what the Olympics have become, a dateline for a death sport. It wasn't enough for organizers to build a safe, practical sliding track on Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler. No, they had to design a $105 million monster that turned the luge into a joyride to hell, with wicked turns, a 152-meter drop -- the world's longest -- and a surface so rapid that it lured racers to approach 95 mph.

Too fast. Too dangerous. And too deadly for a mere sled -- basically, a missile upon which a human being slides face-up and feet-first, vulnerable to his immediate demise.

All week, there have been crashes on the course, more than a dozen in total, one that left a Romanian athlete unconscious for a brief time. And all week, not a soul from the International Olympic Committee, the International Luge Federation or the Vancouver organizing committee expressed concerns about the wipeouts. Nevermind that one racer had described the 13th curve as the "50-50 Curve,'' based on the odds of a crash. Nevermind that 15 months ago, when the sport's elite racers familiarized themselves with the Whistler Sliding Center, athletes suffered 73 crashes during training runs. Nevermind that as recently as Thursday, U.S. luger Christian Niccum compared ramming into the ice at 90 mph to being on fire, saying, "I just wanted to rip off my suit, 'I'm on fire. I'm on fire.' '' And nevermind that on the same day, Australian luger Hannah Campbell-Pegg voiced an ominous tone and a cry for help.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much. To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies?'' she said. "I mean, this is our lives."

For Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, this would be his death. In an accident so grisly and horrific that Canadian TV stations suggested viewers turn away, the young athlete died shortly after flying too fast through the 50-50 Curve, losing control on the final 270-degree turn, hurdling projectile-like over an icy wall and slamming into an unpadded -- yes, unpadded -- steel pole. A rescue crew tried to revive him trackside by pumping his chest and giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but there was no hope. Kumaritashvili was dead, a victim of a sport gone mad and organizers who weren't paying enough attention.

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/12/a-...-on-olympics%2F

That's terrible, no safety wall or anything in-front of those pillars!

RIP to both men

chaos reigns at the winter olympics.after the death in the luge,the irish bobsleigh team are refusing to compete until the course is gritted