Info wanted

Bergy

The Original friendship. :clap:

Arsenal were founded by a Scot but I don't know if he was the instigator of the first meeting.

liverpools first ever side where managed by a scot and had 11 glasgow shipbuilders in their side...mostly fae govan..

we dont have an affinity with them tbh

Apart from the fact they are the protestant club while everton are the taigs down there, and that you get liverpool orange flutebands whom go over to belfast to celebrate the twelth of july

or you get bands going down to liverpool for the 12th,that doesn't mean Liverpool fc is the"protestant club"as you put it,the 2 clubs are scum IMHO. :rolleyes:

Liverpool were founded by an orangeman IIRC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the help with the info I wanted. (tu)

What isn't clear though is what the actual official name of the cup was. It wasn't called the 'British Championship' as far as I know. It was basically a British Championship game but that wasnt the official title. I think the sponsor's name was on the official title, Zenith Data Systems. If anyone has a Rangers history handbook, couls they find out for me? :D

I have seen a comment were one of our directors in the 1930's said that a Rangers side that beat us could have beaten...ENGLAND - show's you the strength of the Scottish League back then.

I was at the 1980 game at Ibrox, I actually swopped shifts to go, that enabled me to see one of my heroes at the time Pat Jennings.

I also think this was the only game Clive Allen played for Arsenal, Crystal Palace wouldn't sell him to Spurs for some reason, but would sell him to Arsenal, after a few weeks at Arsenal, Arsenal then sold him to Spurs!

Dodgy dealings indeed even back then!

I'm sure that was what happened, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got it wrong

The Original friendship. :clap:

Arsenal were founded by a Scot but I don't know if he was the instigator of the first meeting.

liverpools first ever side where managed by a scot and had 11 glasgow shipbuilders in their side...mostly fae govan..

we dont have an affinity with them tbh

Apart from the fact they are the protestant club while everton are the taigs down there, and that you get liverpool orange flutebands whom go over to belfast to celebrate the twelth of july

or you get bands going down to liverpool for the 12th,that doesn't mean Liverpool fc is the"protestant club"as you put it,the 2 clubs are scum IMHO. :rolleyes:

Liverpool were founded by an orangeman IIRC

They were founded by a mason mate

The earliest game .v. Arsenal I can find was on 26th. April 1907 draw 1-1

20th April 1922 draw 0-0

1933 Rangers won 2 games 2-0 & 3-1 billed as British Championship

1934 draw 1-1 billed as British championship

1935 draw 2-2

1936 Arsenal won 2-1

1938 Rangers won 1-0

1951 Arsenal won 3-2

1953 Arsenal won 2-1 British championship to open Ibrox floodlights

1954 draw 3-3

1955 Rangers won 2-0

1958 Rangers won 3-0

1960 Rangers won 4-2

1962 draw 2-2

1966 Rangers won 2-0

1967 Arsenal won 3-0

1968 draw 2-2

1973 Arsenal won 2-1

I stopped reading after that. It was becoming tiring but you can see the general pattern

develope. In the early days Rangers were the dominant team but with the introduction of European

football Arsenal gained the upper hand and the frequency of games tailed off.

As someone pointed out earlier, Rangers and Arsenal were considered the Establishment teams.

I did not take a count but in the very early days (1890 to 1899) Rangers seemed to play Everton

more than any one else.