Points of view

Bergy

I'm telling yas. There is plenty of Protestant, Ulster-Scots etc history here and it is being embraced and rightly so. Its only fair that there are 12th parades in parts of the Republic as well.

Robert The Bruce was Born in Surrey who became King of Scotland after he murdered his rival , invaded Ireland and destroyed the English at Bannockburn to give Scotland it's freedom

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got mates from both the republic and the North who are Catholic in Oz.

Some of thier opinions I completely disagree with but none of them are bigots.. however I would never wear a Gers top in the Republic or even in an Irish pub over here. It would be suicide, we are despised more than the mhanks are loved in Ireland.

In saying that I have no problem with Irish folk and tend to get on well with them, there is a mix of both protestant and catholic boys from N.I over here and they have no problem with each other.

Suprisingly I have found the Welsh to be the most antagonistic towards us over here for some reason.

Mate from what I know of Welsh people, they don't seem to like anyone :lol:

:lol:

Cant believe theres more protestants in dublin as there is in belfast! and yes i know belfasts 50/50 and smaller .... demographic please, i dont believe that for a second!

Thats balls who said that.?

djbazbcm a bit further back in the thread.

He often post wierd things that no-one can understand. He likes to exaggerate, and posts as if he's talking to himself sometimes :lol:

Some of thier opinions I completely disagree with but none of them are bigots.. however I would never wear a Gers top in the Republic or even in an Irish pub over here. It would be suicide, we are despised more than the mhanks are loved in Ireland.

In saying that I have no problem with Irish folk and tend to get on well with them, there is a mix of both protestant and catholic boys from N.I over here and they have no problem with each other.

Suprisingly I have found the Welsh to be the most antagonistic towards us over here for some reason.

If Welsh people were Scottish , they would be called Aberdonians who also don't like anyone outside of Aberdeen.

Lol

Cant believe theres more protestants in dublin as there is in belfast! and yes i know belfasts 50/50 and smaller .... demographic please, i dont believe that for a second!

Thats balls who said that.?

djbazbcm a bit further back in the thread.

He often post wierd things that no-one can understand. He likes to exaggerate, and posts as if he's talking to himself sometimes :lol:

:lol:

I read it there ffs its getting worse, next they be saying the pope converted to protestant. :lol:

Mate from what I know of Welsh people, they don't seem to like anyone laugh.gif

If Welsh people were Scottish , they would be called Aberdonians who also don't like anyone outside of Aberdeen.

Lol

When you said that I thought you were going to make a sheepshagging joke.

Lol

Like travelingwill :lol:

Mate from what I know of Welsh people, they don't seem to like anyone laugh.gif

Lol

When you said that I thought you were going to make a sheepshagging joke.

You baa-stard

I'm telling yas. There is plenty of Protestant, Ulster-Scots etc history here and it is being embraced and rightly so. Its only fair that there are 12th parades in parts of the Republic as well.

Just noticed this post. That's good to hear mate, it's nice that people in the south are acknowledging that we have a culture. Bit of respect for each other's cultures is definately a good thing.

ive a couple of welsh pals and they're sound lads... they're very patriotic though.

Yeah I have a couple of Welsh mates, but that's where I've seen first hand how much they hate everyone. They even hate each other! One of the guys is from Swansea, and the other one is from north wales (cant remember the name of the town, llanffairfannycocksock or something like that). But they can't stand each other, they argue about it all the fuckin time. Fans of Wrexham, and Cardiff, and Swansea all regularly kick fuck out of each other - at Wales international matches!

They're crazy, and I believe if they got independence they would have a civil war :lol:

As long you know we have a tradition and culture, you can be tolarated not like most from the republic even Northern Ireland ones who think there in the republic.

ive a couple of welsh pals and they're sound lads... they're very patriotic though.

Yea , the Welsh are awright but Swansea looks like a right Inbred town though

Isn't that were Hartsons from ?

Yea , the Welsh are awright but Swansea looks like a right Inbred town though

Isn't that were Hartsons from ?

Aye he is fae there the poor bugger

I've always read that Leinster has the most Protestant roots in the Republic, and the popular Irish names Fitzgerald and Burke both have Protestant origins...

Not since 1921, most have moved North since then, or to other countrys.

I've always read that Leinster has the most Protestant roots in the Republic, and the popular Irish names Fitzgerald and Burke both have Protestant origins...

William Burke one half of the infamous duo came from Portadown

Not since 1921, most have moved North since then.

Yes, but that compared to Munster and Connaught you would find the most Protestants in the areas surrounding Dublin

Fitz is an anglo-saxon pre-fix :wink:

And btw I don't think Leinster has the most protestants in the Republic. It always had a high number of protestants in the long distant past, but most would have fled north after 1921. Now I'd imagine most protestants in the republic would live in the 3 Ulster counties - Donegal, cavan and Monaghan. Not saying you're wrong, just that from what I've seen I'd be surprised if Leinster had the highest number of protestants.

And btw I don't think Leinster has the most protestants in the Republic. It always had a high number of protestants in the long distant past, but most would have fled north after 1921. Now I'd imagine most protestants in the republic would live in the 3 Ulster counties - Donegal, cavan and Monaghan. Not saying you're wrong, just that from what I've seen I'd be surprised if Leinster had the highest number of protestants.

Fair enough, I took Irish history in college from an avowed communist and supporter of Republicanism, so my views of Irish history and society might be a bit skewed :lol:

Not since 1921, most have moved North since then.

Yes, but that compared to Munster and Connaught you would find the most Protestants in the areas surrounding Dublin

Mebe there is in the outskirts of dublin but not many these days as i said most have moved to places like Australia, Canada or up to Northern Ireland for dual citzenship.

Explained better (tu)

Can someone go on google images and type 'protestants in ireland' it shows 2 maps side by side showing how the protestant population has moved north east over the years.

id do it myself but im on a ps3 here.