Serie A

Jesus christ their in a crisis. And i'm not even talking about their new blasphemy laws.

10 years ago, most teams would of shat themselves at being drawn of any of Lazio, Roma, Inter, Juve, Milan, Parma, Fiorentina etc.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Their league has fallen so far out of sight of the likes of the English and Spanish leagues. The bundesliga is now far superior league, and ligue un is catching up at an alarming rate.

They need to completely change their mentality to football otherwise they'll be also-rans for majority of the next decade. The national side has done well, but at club level they are woeful right now. Only Inter and perhaps Roma at a push can compete at the top level in European football. Partly down to their respective managers brilliance dragging their clubs through at times. Unless the rest catch up, we may well see European competitions with far less italian flavour, and nobody wants that :sherlock:

Italy are World Champions.

Inter just knocked out Chelsea quite comprehensively.

Juventus and Milan are in building phases, and will be stronger in coming times.

Although I do agree it has fallen behind the Bundesliga which I highly rate.

Italy are World Champions.

Inter just knocked out Chelsea quite comprehensively.

Juventus and Milan are in building phases, and will be stronger in coming times.

Although I do agree it has fallen behind the Bundesliga which I highly rate.

yea Italy are world champions but that was 4 years ago.....

the league is a mess, Mourinhos Inter are the best thing there

I really don't think they're in that much of a shambles.

Milan are rebuilding, as are Juve.

Fiorentina have recovered from going out of buisness and being in the fourth tier of Italian football just 8 years ago to being one of the top sides in Serie A and a tough team to face in Europe. Had they been in the Europa League they'd have gone far and they took a very good Bayern team all the way.

Parma had a similar issue with horrific financial problems and are now rebuilding and the same goes for Lazio, though not quite to the extent of the others.

Inter, well, as we all know just knocked out one of the supposed favourites for the CL.

Juventus are hardly one of the top sides in Serie A just now anyway. They have been shocking for a few months and drew 3-3 at home to bottom of the table(I think) Siena at the weekend. Juventus also had quite a few injuries tonight and were down to 10 men for 65 minutes of the game.

Serie A isn't in as bad a position as what people think. For anyone who watches it regularly, the football is a totally different style to the Premiership and La Liga. It's very technical and based mostly on tactics. Some will find it boring, some will appreciate the ability of the players.

There isn't as much money in Serie A as there is in the Premiership or La Liga, but I'm sure they are restructuring it so Serie A is run by a seperate body to Serie B(like Premiership and Championship are run by seperate bodies). But Serie A still manages to attract big-ish name players to the league.

Also, performance in Europe doesn't reflect the strength of your league IMO.

Considering not that long ago alot of people classified it as the best league in Europe then it has fallen a long way.

IMO it is now the 4th best in Europe behind La Liga, Premiership and Bundesliga.

Juventus are hardly one of the top sides in Serie A just now anyway. They have been shocking for a few months and drew 3-3 at home to bottom of the table(I think) Siena at the weekend. Juventus also had quite a few injuries tonight and were down to 10 men for 65 minutes of the game.

Serie A isn't in as bad a position as what people think. For anyone who watches it regularly, the football is a totally different style to the Premiership and La Liga. It's very technical and based mostly on tactics. Some will find it boring, some will appreciate the ability of the players.

There isn't as much money in Serie A as there is in the Premiership or La Liga, but I'm sure they are restructuring it so Serie A is run by a seperate body to Serie B(like Premiership and Championship are run by seperate bodies). But Serie A still manages to attract big-ish name players to the league.

Also, performance in Europe doesn't reflect the strength of your league IMO.

I think your trying to polish a turd mate tbh.

Seria A is a poor league and has been for a long time now. It ain't close to the level of the Premier League. La Liga is a better league than Seria A too but i don't rate La Liga like a lot of other people do.

The Bundesliga is entertaining to watch but again, not great.

Never said Serie A was as good as the Premiership or La Liga. Nobody would.

Plus, you seem to have tinted specs on 99% of the time, Keith, so I'm not surprised you don't think much of La Liga.

It's gone drastically downhill if you think back to how strong AC and Juve were in the 1990's.

Inter have clearly built a strong side under Mourinho but apart form that, doesn't seem like there many particlularly strong teams. Milan were embarassing at Old Trafford.

It's gone drastically downhill if you think back to how strong AC and Juve were in the 1990's.

Inter have clearly built a strong side under Mourinho but apart form that, doesn't seem like there many particlularly strong teams. Milan were embarassing at Old Trafford.

Yet Milan are only one 1 point behind Inter in Serie A...

The big teams in Italy need to make big signings.

Not world wide ones, just take the best players from other teams in serie a.

The likes of Hamsik, Alexis Sanquez, Zapata, and Lavezzi to name just a few.

Exactly. Milan have needed to re-build for the past 3 years, yet stick to the same philosophies. Considering how good that Inter team is, it's a miracle how Milan find themselves a point behind.

Thats alos kind of the point, the team second in Seria A abasolutelty destroyed by Man Utd and completely out of their depth, would never have happened 10 years ago.

Thats alos kind of the point, the team second in Seria A abasolutelty destroyed by Man Utd and completely out of their depth, would never have happened 10 years ago.

My point was that they are one point behind the strong team. So does that also make Inter a weak team? But wait, they just beat the team 2nd in the so called best league in the world....

Like I said earlier, you can't judge the strength of a league on performance in European competition. What about when Milan reached 3 semi finals in 4 years including 2 finals and winning it once, yet performed poorly in Serie A? What about when Inter were winning Serie A with ease, yet struggled in Europe?

If you look across at La Liga. Real Madrid haven't been past the 2nd round since 2004, yet are always in the top 2 in Spain. Does this mean La Liga is a poor league?

My point was that they are one point behind the strong team. So does that also make Inter a weak team? But wait, they just beat the team 2nd in the so called best league in the world....

Like I said earlier, you can't judge the strength of a league on performance in European competition. What about when Milan reached 3 semi finals in 4 years including 2 finals and winning it once, yet performed poorly in Serie A? What about when Inter were winning Serie A with ease, yet struggled in Europe?

If you look across at La Liga. Real Madrid haven't been past the 2nd round since 2004, yet are always in the top 2 in Spain. Does this mean La Liga is a poor league?

The only way that leagues can be judged is by their performance in Europe, hecne that is how Uefa judges them, using a coefficient.

I don't really understand your point, are you saying you don't think Italian league has declined?

Well if we judge it by how UEFA judge it that means that everybody who has said the Bundesliga is better than Serie A is wrong. There are no right or wrong answers here, it's just personal opinions.

Has Serie A declined since calciopoli? Yes. Has it declined as dramatically as what people have made out in this thread? No IMO.

Fair enough if you're using a particular leagues performance in Europe to say that it's shit, that's your opinion. What other evidence is there to suggest it's a league in crisis? Lack of finance at some of the bigger clubs? Being a Milan fan, I obviously know that Milan have loads of debts and likely used a very large chunk of the Kaka money to pay that. The reputation of the league took a big hit after calciopoli and rightly so. But the people at the centre of it were punished and that should be forgotten about.

Like I said earlier, the style of football is different to the Premiership and La Liga. It's more tactical and the pace is slower(although not as slow as what it used to be).

There are some very good teams in Serie A, who weren't even in Europe this season. Palermo currently sit in 4th and have some players that most on here will never have heard of if they don't follow Serie A. Look for Simon Kjaer to be at a bigger club next season and watch out for him at the World Cup.

Like I said, it's all about opinions. I am not a fan of the Premiership yet I like Serie A and La Liga.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Shows his ignorance to the league.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Epl has more money than all the other leagues thats why its supposed to be the best when, in my opinion, that La Liga is better. Serie A is a probably third best in europe behind the Epl with Bundeliga fourth.

EPL has the largest debt by a long way though, so not sure how it can be describes as the "richest"