Rangers and celtc to make history with Boston friendly clash?

maxwellrfc

Can I ask why so many over here in the UK, are against a pre-season game in the US to market ourselves to possible sponsorship and marketing opportunities?

If this is viable, then it's a win,win.

I'm a bit surprised by the reaction on here too...

Same here.

I could see the point if it was a SPL Oldfirm game, and us fans were losing out on one of our home games.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask why so many over here in the UK, are against a pre-season game in the US to market ourselves to possible sponsorship and marketing opportunities?

Personally I'm repelled by the thought of playing the terrorists in a 'friendly', playing the sporting wing in the fund raising heartland of the military wing.

They are no friends of ours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8635171.stm

I can't tell you how excited I would be to actually be able to get to see them, friendly or not.

You show offs with your whole living in Scotland-can get season tickets-sing the songs- get pissed afterwards-bask in a victory glow, hmph.

Best I get is a large screen TV in my own home with the volume down so's not to wake up anyone.

So yay for us!

ESPN is reporting that there are preliminary talks being held for us to play the Scum at Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts. Seeing as it's only a couple hours from me I think it would be an amazing idea.

Overall, I think also a great plan for the Bears to be touring the States over the summer. We have Edu and Beasley--both of whom are rated pretty high by those of us that follow football in the States. We could also use the tour as a chance to spread the Rangers brand, especially in New England were Celtic are considered to be the proper club for all the 3rd generation Irish immigrants to support. But where in Ireland is Glasgow :)

Thoughts on the match and the overall plan to tour the States?

Same here.

I could see the point if it was a SPL Oldfirm game, and us fans were losing out on one of our home games.

DB, I see your point about marketing the Gers in the US and make them become more visible. Economic realities are changing every day.

Someone raised concerns about the Boston Police Department and other PDs handling the celtic-Gers "friendly" in Foxborough, but I know that these police departments have had history with the Red Sox fans after their two World Series championships.

Not related to this discussion, I am also aware that the Columbus (Ohio) police are well-versed in riot policing every time Ohio State defeats Michigan in an American football game in Columbus. There were some well-documented riots in Columbus when the Buckeyes upended their bitter rival, Michigan. Lately, I have not heard much of that. I believe it was somewhat common in the 1970s.

Other than that, Boston is really an amazing city with a lot of history. I've heard jokes that the Boston streets were patterned after cow paths because it takes one person to really know where he or she is going. Central Massachusetts is also a nice place to visit- Foxborough and Worcester. There is one place in Maine that I enjoyed going- Kittery, ME.

I won't be headed to Boston but the thought of Rangers playing in Miami that I could do!

Boston Red Sox fan through and through here. Boston anything else, yeah no thanks.

Would be great to hump them in front of all those plastics .. the thought makes me lol.

Personally I'm repelled by the thought of playing the terrorists in a 'friendly', playing the sporting wing in the fund raising heartland of the military wing.

They are no friends of ours.

Like it or not, we both need each other in these times to market ourselves more oversea's.

It's true we will never be friends, but both OLDFIRM clubs can use this to their advantage and more.

Like it or not, we both need each other in these times to market ourselves more oversea's.

It's true we will never be friends, but both OLDFIRM clubs can use this to their advantage and more.

We certainly don't need to play each other to market ourselves overseas.

If that were the case it would have happened, it hasn't, and if I were a betting man I would bet that it never will.

Hosting it in Boston is just pandering to celtic imo. The Irish american plastics, whose anti British/protestant bigotry is worse than the plastics over here and even makes many sinn fein members cringe, would be out in force. Surely there could be a better location for it? Toronto and L.A. are much better places to host it imo as Football is more popular in those areas, and the proportion of plastics in the population is much lower.

As for the marketing side - this game is marketing the "old firm". It implies that we are together with them in some way. As if we can't market ourselves independently.

I agree that having a "friendly" OF is a joke...but let's think about this logically. Touring the States is a major marketing opportunity when we desperately need money and new support. Gillette is an amazing venue, and regardless of the makeup of the crowd we'd get to split the profits. Bottom line...it's a great chance. Plus New England is gorgeous in the summer. Count me in!

I agree that having a "friendly" OF is a joke...but let's think about this logically. Touring the States is a major marketing opportunity when we desperately need money and new support. Gillette is an amazing venue, and regardless of the makeup of the crowd we'd get to split the profits. Bottom line...it's a great chance. Plus New England is gorgeous in the summer. Count me in!

It's a great opportunity, can't understand so many people squashing it.

And AC-Inter, River-Boca, and some of the huge Mexican rivals have held friendlies at various places over here

Same here.

DB, I see your point about marketing the Gers in the US and make them become more visible. Economic realities are changing every day.

Someone raised concerns about the Boston Police Department and other PDs handling the celtic-Gers "friendly" in Foxborough, but I know that these police departments have had history with the Red Sox fans after their two World Series championships.

Not related to this discussion, I am also aware that the Columbus (Ohio) police are well-versed in riot policing every time Ohio State defeats Michigan in an American football game in Columbus. There were some well-documented riots in Columbus when the Buckeyes upended their bitter rival, Michigan. Lately, I have not heard much of that. I believe it was somewhat common in the 1970s.

Other than that, Boston is really an amazing city with a lot of history. I've heard jokes that the Boston streets were patterned after cow paths because it takes one person to really know where he or she is going. Central Massachusetts is also a nice place to visit- Foxborough and Worcester. There is one place in Maine that I enjoyed going- Kittery, ME.

I would dare say Strathclyde police would be consulted on any possible trouble escalating, and experience on handling Oldfirm events.

As you say, it's no like the US ain't used to handling big events. They will be ready for anything and won't want anything making them look bad, especially when this event will be broadcasted on TV.

One thing we have as a big advantage is Alastair Johnston, with his connections and us showcasing our club against our biggest rivals, all I can see is more positives.

We certainly don't need to play each other to market ourselves overseas.

If that were the case it would have happened, it hasn't, and if I were a betting man I would bet that it never will.

I think in these desperate times, I think both clubs do have to bounce off each other for maximum exposure in the US.

Same here.

I would dare say Strathclyde police would be consulted on any possible trouble escalating, and experience on handling Oldfirm events.

As you say, it's no like the US ain't used to handling big events. They will be ready for anything and won't want anything making them look bad, especially when this event will be broadcasted on TV.

One thing we have as a big advantage is Alastair Johnston, with his connections and us showcasing our club against our biggest rivals, all I can see is more positives.

I think the interesting thing would be whether or not they kept the different supporters separated. They don't ever do that in the States, but if they asked Strathclyde Police I'm sure things would change. I just hope they go forward with this--what a party it would be.

No chance,the match would need the same type of police presence as it commands over here.

I just can't see the powers that be in Boston even agreeing to it never mind us.

To the powers that be here it will be similar to a RedSox vs Yankees game. Rangers are not known as much in the USA since they rarely come here and I would be glad if they played here more often. Boston is not the only USA city with an Irish connection, I would prefer the Rangers to play another team but not playing in Boston lets the scum win without a ball being kicked. uk.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: