We couldnt afford Andy

We couldnt afford Andy

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 20 May 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

RANGERS haven't been able to buy a player for two years.

David Weir reckons his skint club have just landed Scotland's most sought-after star for NOTHING.

Andy Webster lifted the Scottish Cup and regained his Scotland slot in the best season of his career.

Now reborn Webby has returned to Ibrox to front Gers' SPL title defence next term.

Weir insists the stopper, who was Dundee United skipper during his loan spell, is a signing Gers could never have afforded.

He said: "Andy hasn't been around here for a year but he's shown what he's capable of.

"He was stop-start at Rangers with all his injuries and he was just playing reserve games.

"He was one of the top defenders in the league this season and he's looking like the real Andy Webster again.

"Rangers probably couldn't afford to go and buy him now.

"The way it's worked out has been good for everyone and good for Andy.

"He's lifted a trophy this season and hopefully we are getting back a first-class international defender.

"For me, he's a top defender and has all the right attributes to play for Rangers."

Weir lifted the SPL championship and Co-op Cup in Webster's season-long absence.

He believes his team-mate will be all the better for winning the Scottish Cup in last weekend's 3-0 win over Ross County.

He added: "Andy obviously needed to go to United and start playing again on a regular basis.

"His career had been too stop-start since he left Hearts, for a lot of different reasons.

"It was so nice to see him back on track and being part of a successful team this season.

"He's got good experience, he's got his confidence back and he's played week in, week out."

Webster only turned out in ONE game for Gers since returning north from Wigan in 2007.

He was sent to Bristol City and Tannadice in a bid to get his career back on track.

A contract feud at Hearts and various injury problems conspired to interrupt his progress.

Weir is sure his one-time Scotland defensive partner is well on the way back.

He said: "In football, there is nothing surer than you will have disappointments.

Advertisement

Click here

"What separates the good players from the bad is how they respond to those disappointments.

"Andy has certainly had more than his fair share.

"You could tell how much he enjoyed lifting the Cup at Hampden last Saturday. You could see how much it meant to him. It showed what he's been through.

"He's seen the darker side of the game and missed a lot of football.

"These things test you and make you stronger."

Webster ruptured a cruciate knee ligament just DAYS into his Gers career.

Weir says he's shown mettle to fight back and his displays at United prove he's ready to step into the Gers rearguard.

He said: "A cruciate injury is a massive one and takes a bit of getting over.

"It is devastating to get injuries like those Andy has had.

"He also had the contract situation and seems to have had a catalogue of problems.

"You'd think he must have used up all his bad luck. Hopefully he'll get some good times now."

Skipper Weir is pondering whether or not to extend his Gers career by another season.

If he stays, the veteran would like the chance to play alongside Webster once again.

He said: "I played with him for Scotland going back a few years. I always thought he was destined for the very top. I'd love to play alongside him next season.

"I've played alongside him in the past and I enjoyed it.

"Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson are still Rangers players and I'm sure they would have something to say about that.

"In that department, Rangers have options for next season."

Weir, meanwhile, has insisted he WON'T play on just for the sake of it next term.

The SFWA Player of the Year - who turned 40 this month - will make a decision on his football future before the start of pre-season training in July.

He added: "I enjoyed every minute of last season and feel that I contributed to our success.

"I would not play just to earn a wage.

"Yes, every player has a fear of what will happen after they retire from the game.

"I realise more than most how lucky I am still to be playing. I appreciate it a bit more.

"I have an interest in the other side of football, too, so we will see what happens."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2980000/We-couldnt-afford-Andy.html