**Group F**

Italy_flag.gif

Italy

FIFA World Ranking: 5th

Previous Best: Winners(1934, 1938, 1982, 2006)

Coach: Marcelo Lippi. Won the Nerazzuri’s 4th World Cup in 2006. Took charge once again after Roberto Donadoni was sacked after a poor Euro 08 campaign.

Star Player: Gianluigi Buffon(Juventus)

Players to watch: Daniele De Rossi(AS Roma), Antonio Di Natale(Udinese)

Trivia: Italy have the made the World Cup final every 12 years since 1970, winning it on 2 occasions - 1982 in Spain and 2006 in Germany.

bluenose_72 prediction: 2nd round

paraguay-flag.gif

Paraguay

FIFA World Ranking: 31st

Previous best: 2nd Round(1986, 1998, 2002)

Coach: Gerardo Martino. Had success with Paraguayan clubs Cerro Perteno and Club Libertad before taking over as Paraguay coach in 2007.

Star player: Nelson Valdez(Borussia Dortmund)

Players to watch: Oscar Cardozo(Benfica), Edgar Barreto(Atalanta)

Trivia: Paraguay were one of only 13 teams that competed in the first ever World Cup.

bluenose_72 prediction: 2nd round

NewZealand_flag.gif

New Zealand

FIFA World Ranking: 78th

Previous best: Group Stages(1982)

Coach: Ricki Herbert. Made the World Cup as a player in 1982 for New Zealand and now leads them there as a coach. Had a spell in England playing for Wolves.

Star player: Ryan Nelsen(Blackburn Rovers)

Players to watch: Chris Killen(Middlesbrough), Rory Fallon(Plymouth Argyle)

Trivia: After a change to the qualifying system, New Zealand benefited by qualifying for their first World Cup in 28 years.

bluenose_72 prediction: Group stages

slovakia-flag.gif

Slovakia

FIFA World Ranking: 34th

Previous best: N/A

Coach: Vladimir Weiss. First coach to lead Slovakia to a World Cup. He was Artmedia Bratislava’s coach when they humiliated Irish side, Celtic.

Star player: Marek Hamsik(Napoli)

Players to watch: Stanislav Sestak(Bochum), Martin Skrtel(Liverpool)

Trivia: Slovakia are the only country making their World Cup debut in South Africa.

bluenose_72 prediction: Group stages

Forza Azzurri

cannavaro-italy-2006-world-cup1.jpg

Some sig (tu)

I am half Italian so cannot wait for this

Me neither mate.

My grandmother is Italian so I have a always classed Italy as my second side at an international level.

Will be some achievement to repeat the success of 2006 but you can never write the Azzurri off.

Forza Azzurri

Some sig (tu)

Me neither mate.

My grandmother is Italian so I have a always classed Italy as my second side at an international level.

Will be some achievement to repeat the success of 2006 but you can never write the Azzurri off.

here we go,,,,my great grand mother's sister in law's husband was portuguese,,,,,,but i'm not supporting ronal......DO

you can never write the Azzurri off.

That's so true, they have a real winning mentality.

I'll never forget the 1982 side, they didn't win a game in the first round but just got stronger and stronger as the tournament went on, disposing of outstanding Brazil and Argentina sides before winning it.

I'll never forget the 1982 side, they didn't win a game in the first round but just got stronger and stronger as the tournament went on, disposing of outstanding Brazil and Argentina sides before winning it.

yeah but you had dino zoff,bruno conti,tardelli.....etc class players,not like the ones they've got now,,,,ni good

Italy 1 - 2 Mexico last night.

Winning mentality, eh? :pipe:

If you read my post carefully papa, you'll see that they failed to win a single opening round match, but went on to win the tournament.

So I really don't think losing a friendly is of any consequence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they'll win it, I doubt if I could even name half the Countries that qualifed.

But friendlies don't matter and early games in the tournament only matter if they matter so to speak :pipe:

I was just trying to wind up the Italian posse on here.

There's something about them (Italy's national team) that I just can't stand.

It will be interesting, as football became more international Italy seemed to resist for a time, keeping its best players in Serie A which arguably strengthened the International side.

But when Inter start the European Cup Final without a single Italian in their side you have to wonder....

Forza Azzurri

Some sig (tu)

Me neither mate.

here we go,,,,my great grand mother's sister in law's husband was portuguese,,,,,,but i'm not supporting ronal......DO

Seeing as Scotland aren't there, it seems to me to be the obvious and natural choice.

After that I quite like the Serbs and after that I might think about wishing your camel molesting mob some luck.

:wink:

you can never write the Azzurri off.

I have a framed picture of that side, given to me by my grandmother when I was a wee lad. I was born in 1982 so it feels as though it was written in the stars. :blush::sherlock:

In 2006 the Italians were written off because of the calciopoli scandal and in 2002 they were robbed by some crazy refereeing decisions.

I really can't see them doing it this time round as I just don't feel the quality is there.

Forza Azzurri

Some sig (tu)

Me neither mate.

Always classed Italy as this too and called my Gran 'Nonna' aswell as much of my Mum's side looking Italian and having half family in Cavedine where I've been and visited.

Forza Azzurri!

Forza Azzurri

Some sig (tu)

Me neither mate.

Always classed Italy as this too and called my Gran 'Nonna' aswell as much of my Mum's side looking Italian and having half family in Cavedine where I've been and visited.

Forza Azzurri!

Nice one.

We could have an RM Azzurri Supporters Club going at this rate. :pipe: