Old Ibrox

Its always been slightly unclear to me on the exact location of the original Ibrox and whether any pictures of the stadium in any kind of different location actually exist.

The picture below apparently shows the original stadium at the bottom left of the image.

2qulngz.jpg

But saving the image and zooming in shows the park shown to be in the exact location of the current Ibrox. The clue being the clear row of houses which is Ibrox Terrace and its location in regards to the adjacent block of Copland Road/Merrick Gardens.

This image from http://www.rangerspedia.org shows the park before ''We moved 100 yards across Copland Road to where we are today; Ibrox Stadium.''

689eo6.jpg

However you can clearly tell the street leading to the stadium on the top left is Harrison Drive and the gap on the right hand side of the street is where the Spar is located today. Again Ibrox Terrace visible above Harrison Drive.

The row of tenements along the top of the image is definately the back of Copland Road.

If anything the Main Stand in this image is just a couple of metres to the left of where the facade stands today on Edmiston Drive.

Any ideas on this anyone?

Do you have a date for the first picture. It clearly is in its current position. Compare it side by side with Google maps and you can see that the streets in the area havent changed at all. In the second picture, to the right of the Main Stand, you can see what appears to be some kind of vehicle, possibly a van. If it is a vehicle it would cast some doubt on the real age of that picture as I wouldnt think there would have been too many vans about Gavan 100+ years back.

Do you have a date for the first picture. It clearly is in its current position. Compare it side by side with Google maps and you can see that the streets in the area havent changed at all. In the second picture, to the right of the Main Stand, you can see what appears to be some kind of vehicle, possibly a van. If it is a vehicle it would cast some doubt on the real age of that picture as I wouldnt think there would have been too many vans about Gavan 100+ years back.

No date im afraid but the blurb said the original ibrox is shown, which is incorrect so the date wouldnt be right anyway.

Maybe the houses were knocked down on the Copland road and repositioned to accomodate for Ibrox?

It wasn't unheard of for houses to be demolished, and rebuilt a street or so away in the same style so as to fit in to their surroundings :sherlock:

they would have had to move the entire city over a street as most of the streets shown are still there and there are no extra ones or streets missing.

That's not the old Ibrox. I've seen that pic in books before.

The second one I mean.

Aye that ones pretty obvious. Im very interested in finding a picture of this alleged original stadium. I might go up to the mitchell library and have a poke around, i knowonly a small selection of their images are on their website.

I dont know the chap D'Art, is he on here?

That's not the old Ibrox. I've seen that pic in books before.

The second one I mean.

Aye that ones pretty obvious. Im very interested in finding a picture of this alleged original stadium. I might go up to the mitchell library and have a poke around, i knowonly a small selection of their images are on their website.

I dont know the chap D'Art, is he on here?

Well he was - check the sticky thread at the top of the page.

During our research a colleague of mine spent a good bit of time on this studying map co-ordinates etc.

Here's what he came up with.

Old Ibrox over the current location.

2rqd946.jpg

Hope this helps.

That overlay seems to make sense of the situation. The only fault I could find is that Edmiston Drive doesn't appear on the overlay. It is possible it wasn't surveyed at the time (it looks like a surveyors drawing)but Copland Road is on it to the South past its junction with Edmiston Drive. Its also possible that Edmiston Drive was moved at the same time 'new' Ibrox was built. However that is very unlikely.

Interesting stuff. Definitely merits more research.

Just found this map of the original Ibrox. I think its McBoyds work.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wxyFwWKl3Gw/S-bpVvwTH9I/AAAAAAAAARc/rrfKBpIS3R8/s1600/STP86095.JPG

There is no Edmiston Drive! This would confirm that the overlay posted by theMoonlighter is correct.

Interweb - amazing thingy :)

Dukestreet - looking back at the original picture, which is a painting, the location doesn't make sense. It is too far away from Copland Road, when compared with the maps, to be old Ibrox and it doesn't relate to new Ibrox either. Also there is no Edmiston Drive which would point towards it being old Ibrox <cr>

I think the artist has used a bit of artistic license when painting it. The surrounding street layout would indicate it is the original Ibrox.