Everton sniffing about Jelavic

EVERTON plan to make a last-ditch bid to nick Nikica Jelavic from Rangers.

Boss Davie Moyes watched the giant Rapid Vienna hitman in action against Red Bull Salzburg on Sunday.

And the Merseysiders were represented again last night as Jelavic hit a double to send Rapid through to the Europa League play-off stage in a 3-0 win over Stara Zagora.

That could mean serious competition for Gers in their bid to land the £3.5million Croat.

A further complication is that Jelavic will be cup-tied in Europe if he plays for Rapid in the next round and Vienna chiefs are adamant he will feature.

Gers, though, are determined to continue their pursuit of the 24-year-old, who has already made it clear he fancies a switch to Ibrox.

They hope to clinch a deal in the next week and after his strikes last night Jelavic beamed: "I'm delighted with my goals, but I am ready to take on a new challenge."

If he opts for Ibrox former Croat hero Dado Prso insists he will be a hit... as the NEW Prso.

He said: "I saw him play for the Croatian national team a couple of times over the past year or so and I have been really impressed.

"Like myself, he arrived in international football a little bit later than some of the others, but you can see his potential.

"He is tall and strong on the ball, he can hold it up and bring other players into the game and he can score goals.

"His biggest strengths are his courage and work rate. He isn't afraid to go into 50-50s and get hurt.

"You could say his mentality and his style of play would be very well suited to Scottish football.

"I always gave everything for the team, I see similarities with Nikica.

"But he's not just a targetman, he's a more complete player than that.

"I'm sure Jelavic would be a good signing for Rangers. I wouldn't have any doubts about him."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3080658/Everton-show-interest-in-Rangers-target-Nikica-Jelavic.html

I hope Dado will have an influance over this, as i can see him becoming the new prso as dado said himself.

For what its worth, I spent a while trawling through pages on a Rapid Vienna forum just to see if they were discussing him.

For a start these boys really really rate him and it appears he is held in the very highest regard.

They are very fearful that he's going and they are mentioning Rangers a lot. General feelings seemed to be that he will be going to Rangers but they are annoyed that the bid made was so low.

Obviously just like our own forum these are just fans personal feelings and there is nothing concrete.

One last thing I picked up through the dodgy translations was a few of them mentioned him wearing a tee-shirt tonight at some stage during or after the game ( the significance of which I don't know ? ) and this seemed to add weight to their fears?

Who knows, only time will tell? The mention of Everton on the scene sets gazumping alarm bells ringing in my ears though.

The mention of Everton on the scene sets gazumping alarm bells ringing in my ears though.

exactly the same fear i have. Thing is though, we do have CL and they dont, plus he has said he wants to join us. The lure of england can be tempting but will the lure of CL be bigger?

As for the shirt, thank you message from what i know. so he is for the off, just to where... i hope dado has his number - ibrox it is.

If Moyes does be a wanker and come in for him, Jelavic will habe to decide between having CL football to play & win medals and be a first choice striker or join a club for who offer him more money and most likely warm the bench for a large part of the season with nothing to show for his time their in terms of honours.

Hmmmm which one sounds the more attractive proposition? but Chris Eagles is the evident proof of footballers' greed in todays game.

Hopefully we get him...

The mention of Everton on the scene sets gazumping alarm bells ringing in my ears though.

exactly the same fear i have. Thing is though, we do have CL and they dont, plus he has said he wants to join us. The lure of england can be tempting but will the lure of CL be bigger?

As for the shirt, thank you message from what i know. so he is for the off, just to where... i hope dado has his number - ibrox it is.

The Champions league is to our advantage, but he's still contracted and if they outbid us his club may well only sell to the highest bidder ? The other thing is the lure of the EPL and earning considerably more than what we may offer ?

My hope is that the groundwork has been done in the last few days and that Bain will move quickly now to seal the deal before anyone else. Fingers crossed.

Wait, isn't this guy cup-tied for the CL now since Rapid won or have they still to play another qualifier game?

i THINK if rapid qualify then he is cup tied, if they dont then he isnt. Lets hope we get him and they fail.

Wait, isn't this guy cup-tied for the CL now since Rapid won or have they still to play another qualifier game?

He needs to play in the next round with rapid to be cup tied...after scoring a double last night and with Everton sniffinf about we need to just up the offer today and hopw for the best otherwise we'll have to look alsewhere.

Let's not kid ourselves here guys! If Moyes wants Jelavic for Everton, they will come up with the readies that Rapid Vienna want for his transfer...AND they will offer him far more money than we can offer, plus give him a chance to show his talents week in week out in the biggest league worldwide ( I said the biggest...not the BEST )

The only thing we have going for us is that Dado will have gave him the good oil about how great our supporters will treat him and that Ibrox is a far better option for him in the long run, because if he puts half the effort in to his game as Prso did, he will become a cult hero to our fans.

I hope to hell we land this guy because he will score goals for fun in the SPL especially with service from the likes of Davis and Kenny Miller.

I really like his way of playing and have a funny feeling that the anguish of losing a certain Kris Boyd by a section of our fans will become a distant memory very quickly.

If we get him, it's squeaky bum time for the rest of the defences in the SPL. :clap::21:

Everton have Cahill, Anichebe, Vaughan, Yakubu, Saha, Beckford & the young French boy then signed this Summer too.

I can't see him going after another striker.

To me he will not get a game infront of Saha and the Yak, maybe even beckford after everything that went on just to get him.

I'm also sure someone said they were a bit cashstraped like us haha