Tommy Smith on his way

Ibroxblue

Not a bad player about 4 or 5 years ago, not seen him play since then so don't know what he's like nowadays. Can't see the club sanctioning a deal over £1mill for a 30 year old anyway. Any player we bring in MUST have a sell on value.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just phoned my mate there to make sure i wasnt thinking of someone else and he said that the guys at watford were saying hes brilliant and would be a great signing for us if it happens! So many people on here just jump the gun cos theyve not heard of him!

Spot on mate.

Ask any Watford fan what they think of him and they will probably tell you that he's a leader, he works incredibly hard, he's versatile, he has a good level of experience and before last year he had a reputation as being one of the best frontmen outside the English top flight.

Every player a club signs come with a risk, but at this moment in time do we need/want players who, on paper at least, can offer that much in our squad?

With our current low numbers I know that I certainly do.

just hope this guys as pish as everyone on here thinks he is

heaven forbid our manager knows more than most of us

anyway if you sign tommy welcome and i hope you prove your ability thts seen you play in the EPL

Put that sensible hat away mate :P

this whole thread is qiute sad , the guy hasnt signed, played or even been caught pished on a night out with mcgregor and most of our fans want to put the boot into him

at least let him play before any comments about his ability please

That one sentance sums it up perfectly.

just hope this guys as pish as everyone on here thinks he is

heaven forbid our manager knows more than most of us

anyway if you sign tommy welcome and i hope you prove your ability thts seen you play in the EPL

Put that sensible hat away mate :P

this whole thread is qiute sad , the guy hasnt signed, played or even been caught pished on a night out with mcgregor and most of our fans want to put the boot into him

at least let him play before any comments about his ability please

That one sentance sums it up perfectly.

You can bet some of those posters will be moaning the board into oblivion if we haven't signed anyone come 1st Sept.

TBH, I have probably been a bit harsh on him, IIRC when I did see him for pompey last year it was sub appearances but im sure he did get a spell in the team at one point, maybe towards the end of the season? And the one think I can remember is that he works very hard and he did lift the pompey team and fans, I wouldnt be against the signing but £1.5M for a 30 year old screams pay off or bosman release in a couple of years time, I will back him when and if he signs though

Not a bad player about 4 or 5 years ago, not seen him play since then so don't know what he's like nowadays. Can't see the club sanctioning a deal over £1mill for a 30 year old anyway. Any player we bring in MUST have a sell on value.

1281496jgbj603964.jpg

his scoring record has been pretty poor at every club, 1.5mill?

Miller was the very same and look at his the last 2 seasons, it's been, not only good, but vital.

millers ratio was always better than 1 in 19

we could have got that young lad who was on loan at motherwell from everton last season for 1m

We've got the young Arsenal lad on trial right now with option to loan. I'd rather have Him in the team, and pay His wage, rather than spend a possible 1.5m on 30/31 year old player with a poor goal scoring record, no flair, and no sell on value.

I have a lot of confidence in Walter Smith but this Tommy Smith bid seems to be a bit odd. My hopes were all up over Jelavic and then I get a hit with a possible Championship player that's 'hit and miss' and He's not coming cheap at 1.5m.

I have a lot of confidence in Walter Smith but this Tommy Smith bid seems to be a bit odd. My hopes were all up over Jelavic and then I get a hit with a possible Championship player that's 'hit and miss' and He's not coming cheap at 1.5m.

I find it odd as well, we heard about him possibly coming here a few months back and then it died down and now suddenly out of the blue he's signing for 1.5 mill, strange.

Miller was the very same and look at his the last 2 seasons, it's been, not only good, but vital.

Millers Ratio before signing for Rangers was 1 Goal : 3.3 games

Since joining his ratio is 1 goal : 2.2

Therefor improved by 1/3.

Smiths right now is 1 Goal : 4.9 games.

So if he too improved by 1/3 he would be at 1 Goal: 3.3 games.

Therefor, if both players played 40 games this season for Rangers (Miller at current goal ratio and if Smith improved) :

Miller - 18 Goals

Smith - 12 Goals

I hated maths, and it might be cause I'm shit at it too.

I find it odd as well, we heard about him possibly coming here a few months back and then it died down and now suddenly out of the blue he's signing for 1.5 mill, strange.

A few months back Rangers thought He was worth 500k. What has happened since then than Walter now thinks He's worth 1.5m? 1.5m is a lot of cash for 'cash strapped' Club. Rangers could get Conway, Goodwillie for 500k more, countless others. Why Tommy Smith? What is it about Him? The Arsenal Boy gets a trial, Welcome gets a trial, Walter appeared to be taking His time and them *BOOM* a name from the past with an extra 1m on top of His previous price tag.

Millers Ratio before signing for Rangers was 1 Goal : 3.3 games

Since joining his ratio is 1 goal : 2.2

Therefor improved by 1/3.

Smiths right now is 1 Goal : 4.9 games.

So if he too improved by 1/3 he would be at 1 Goal: 3.3 games.

Therefor, if both players played 40 games this season for Rangers (Miller at current goal ratio and if Smith improved) :

Miller - 18 Goals

Smith - 12 Goals

I hated maths, and it might be cause I'm shit at it too.

<cr>

:lol:

millers better than smith and im not his biggest fan

i was hoping anyone we brought in would be better than what we have :(

i dont think smith is any better than any of our strongest 11

Quite possibly the worst player i have ever seen, even worse than ostanstad.

we could sign leroy lita or lee miller for less than a million and they are far better

I wouldn't have either at those players at Ibrox. I've seen how pish Miller is and Lita's best/only asset is IMHO his speed.

Quite possibly the worst player i have ever seen, even worse than ostanstad.

we could sign leroy lita or lee miller for less than a million and they are far better

I wouldn't have either at those players at Ibrox. I've seen how pish Miller is and Lita's best/only asset is IMHO his speed.

im not saying they are good, im sayin they are better. for the kind a money reported we could get a few decent players