Come on Scotland - do us proud !

Wienblue

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Minstral I normally agree with you on most points but this is ridiculous.

Have you no pride in the country of your birth?

Singing "Stand up if you hate the English" is not bigotted, its banter, the same way as Rangers sing "Stand up if you hate Celtic"

How many English people do you hear calling out about our anthem? Ill tell you - None. They dont give a flying fuck, so why should we?

People on here are moaning about the Scottish press being against us, targeting the national team - You think that will help???

Concentrate on the real enemy, ill give you a clue - it isnt Scotland.

There is no distinction in my book, between those who sing anti Catholic, anti Protestant or anti Islamic songs and those who sing anti English songs - it is bigoted and wrong and I cannot defend either - even though I believe in free speech. I find it particulalry galling and clearly inconsistent and bias when some of you "choose" to harangue for instance Gers or Celtic fans for their songs, yet you defend those who espouse - hatred for England and English people. You then sing along to equally offensive and racist songs "the flower of scotland " and its divisive words against England - which is offensive towards English people - and largely a political song.

I too will also be taking a stand - if (?), some of those racist louts - with a large "chip" on their shoulder about England start their insulting and discriminatory songs. It is an absolute embarrassment and you should be appalled at yourselves for supporting overt racist chants. As an internationalist, I have on a number of occasions had to explain and apologise to others (English people - as well) with regard to the bigoted songs - I can assure you - you don't get the "chip" on your shoulder attitude from English people.

Some of you may not like the facts and hide from the truth........... but, please just take a wee minute to think about this........ I like you, would also feel offended and hurt if people from other countries engaged in offensive and abusive chants and songs against ourselves - and my country. We live in a modern world - like it or not - we need modern and tolerant values. Small mindedness no more, if we are to progress as a nation. Let's put bigotry and racism aside and show the world that we can behave with - dignity and respect - for all cultures. To have a just, fair, equal and balanced society - we should not be so hostile and offensive to the largest ethnic population in our country. Institutionalsed racism as some of you espouse is not welcome in my country - my country is - "One Scotland many cultures" and the saltire is not a flag to be used in support of racism but decency and equality for all cultures and nationalities. Some of us who don't despise the English or any other cultures or religions are just as proud of their country as the racists.

However, I hope there is no such behaviour, but as a nation we need to address our antipathy and hate in some quarters towards our friends south of the border - but it doesn't mean I'm any less Scottish than you or the racists, however, it's not people like me who let their country down - "not in my name".

Singing "Stand up if you hate the English" is not bigotted, its banter, the same way as Rangers sing "Stand up if you hate Celtic"

How many English people do you hear calling out about our anthem? Ill tell you - None. They dont give a flying fuck, so why should we?

People on here are moaning about the Scottish press being against us, targeting the national team - You think that will help???

There is no distinction in my book, between those who sing anti Catholic, anti Protestant or anti Islamic songs and those who sing anti English songs - it is bigoted and wrong and I cannot defend either - even though I believe in free speech. I find it particulalry galling and clearly inconsistent and bias when some of you "choose" to harangue for instance Gers or Celtic fans for their songs, yet you defend those who espouse - hatred for England and English people. You then sing along to equally offensive and racist songs "the flower of scotland " and its divisive words against England - which is offensive towards English people - and largely a political song.

I too will also be taking a stand - if (?), some of those racist louts - with a large "chip" on their shoulder about England start their insulting and discriminatory songs. It is an absolute embarrassment and you should be appalled at yourselves for supporting overt racist chants. As an internationalist, I have on a number of occasions had to explain and apologise to others (English people - as well) with regard to the bigoted songs - I can assure you - you don't get the "chip" on your shoulder attitude from English people.

Some of you may not like the facts and hide from the truth........... but, please just take a wee minute to think about this........ I like you, would also feel offended and hurt if people from other countries engaged in offensive and abusive chants and songs against ourselves - and my country. We live in a modern world - like it or not - we need modern and tolerant values. Small mindedness no more, if we are to progress as a nation. Let's put bigotry and racism aside and show the world that we can behave with - dignity and respect - for all cultures. To have a just, fair, equal and balanced society - we should not be so hostile and offensive to the largest ethnic population in our country. Institutionalsed racism as some of you espouse is not welcome in my country - my country is - "One Scotland many cultures" and the saltire is not a flag to be used in support of racism but decency and equality for all cultures and nationalities. Some of us who don't despise the English or any other cultures or religions are just as proud of their country as the racists.

However, I hope there is no such behaviour, but as a nation we need to address our antipathy and hate in some quarters towards our friends south of the border - but it doesn't mean I'm any less Scottish than you or the racists, however, it's not people like me who let their country down - "not in my name".

How many of the tartan army do you think have English mothers, fathers, grandmothers, uncles, etc, etc......

Quite alot im willing to bet, they do not hate every English person and they are not chanting Racist chants, its called banter.

Targeting the national team will do us no favours.

Should we stop chanting about Jimmy Hill because its homophobic?

The PC brigade are ruining this country.

rangers fans are accused of singing bigoted songs and people want us banned yet fans can go and sing a racist song and its okay,it should be a level playing field,and to be honest most of the tartan army hate rangers and all connected with rangers.

Utter Pish.

sorry dado i respect your opinion but we both must know different fans of the tartan army because the ones i know hate us .

rangers fans are accused of singing bigoted songs and people want us banned yet fans can go and sing a racist song and its okay,it should be a level playing field,and to be honest most of the tartan army hate rangers and all connected with rangers.

Utter Pish.

sorry dado i respect your opinion but we both must know different fans of the tartan army because the ones i know hate us .

Which national side do you support?

Utter Pish.

Ive been to a Scotland game wearng a Rangers top and no-one batted an eyelid.

I am a bit of an "armchair fan" when it comes to Scotland but i am proud of my country all the same.

But that chant that does my head in is "stand up if you hate England". Sorry, but no matter what anyone says, it is racism of the highest order. By singing that you are basically saying that you despise everything about England and the English people. And to call it banter is absolutely wrong. If it was simply banter then the word "hate" would not come into play, same way as when we sing "stand up if you hate Celtic", it is not banter it is unadulterated hatred.

I don't know how anyone can chant such a thing and actually believe it to be banter. As for Flower of Scotland, i have no problem with it. To me it is about as bad as The Sash and that has been proved to be perfectly acceptable by the Scottish Courts.

It would be nice to see a similar thread BEFORE our next European home/away game or even a league game

where have you been there has been threads ever since our last game. :rolleyes:

Dado -

Wherever one is born or their background - it does not make it correct to chant abusive, insulting and discriminatory songs. You may call that banter, I can assure you that when it is directed towards a national / ethnic / religious group or questioning people's sexuality that is wrong - and rightly, so to protect people from racism or bullying there are laws against this.

We MUST NOT pick and choose when we apply these laws, we need balance, consistency and transparency. As I've said - think how your conduct is perceived by others - those who chant these racist songs..... stop and think twice.

Football banter as you call it - is no defence in my book for racism or religious or cultural intolerance. There is enough wrong in our world - to have "banter" - being acceptable. It ain't and that's why our club is under scrutiny, well, so that's why no doubt others - clubs and possibly our country will be under scrutiny. If a stadi neds to be shut - it should be - but not just Ibrox, there are many others - including Hampden Park or Wembley. If that's what it takes - for me that is correct.

I for one believe in consistency, transparency and equality and if - overt racist banter has to be challenged, so be it, - it may make some people - think twice before they act - and if that means - correctness is applied so be it. Just think how - people perceive thse chants - is it acceptable ? - NO, whether at Hampden, CP, Ibrox, the San Siro or anywhere else. I'm sure you are a good person and not racist, but sometimes even good people need to examine their own behaviour - it does not make then bad - as much, many of these problems are deeply engrained from both a cultural and instiutional perspective. However, it does NOT make it right.

Together, we can all - as UEFA submit - "Show Racism the Red Card" - that is correct and principled. However, it does not mean I love my country any less and wish our ex gers manager and our players the very best.

I am a bit of an "armchair fan" when it comes to Scotland but i am proud of my country all the same.

But that chant that does my head in is "stand up if you hate England". Sorry, but no matter what anyone says, it is racism of the highest order. By singing that you are basically saying that you despise everything about England and the English people. And to call it banter is absolutely wrong. If it was simply banter then the word "hate" would not come into play, same way as when we sing "stand up if you hate Celtic", it is not banter it is unadulterated hatred.

I don't know how anyone can chant such a thing and actually believe it to be banter. As for Flower of Scotland, i have no problem with it. To me it is about as bad as The Sash and that has been proved to be perfectly acceptable by the Scottish Courts.

I used to follow a Scottish ice Hockey team and when we played in England we would do the Stand Up If You Hate England chant. Strangely, we never had a problem, indeed, it was usually met with laughter and good will by the home fans

IMO the real bigots are the ones who have an agenda and try to make out that this stuff is bigoted. Comparing this chant to FTP or Fenian Blood is just so wrong that I really am beginning to lose all hope for you and anyone else who feels the same

Utter Pish.

dado i have been to scotland games where some of the fans have abused rangers players all the way through and called our captain every name under the sun and i have been threatened by some of them for sticking up for the rangers players that why i will never go back.

Dado -

Wherever one is born or their background - it does not make it correct to chant abusive, insulting and discriminatory songs. You may call that banter, I can assure you that when it is directed towards a national / ethnic / religious group or questioning people's sexuality that is wrong - and rightly, so to protect people from racism or bullying there are laws against this.

We MUST NOT pick and choose when we apply these laws, we need balance, consistency and transparency. As I've said - think how your conduct is perceived by others - those who chant these racist songs..... stop and think twice.

Football banter as you call it - is no defence in my book for racism or religious or cultural intolerance. There is enough wrong in our world - to have "banter" - being acceptable. It ain't and that's why our club is under scrutiny, well, so that's why no doubt others - clubs and possibly our country will be under scrutiny. If a stadi neds to be shut - it should be - but not just Ibrox, there are many others - including Hampden Park or Wembley. If that's what it takes - for me that is correct.

I for one believe in consistency, transparency and equality and if - overt racist banter has to be challenged, so be it, - it may make some people - think twice before they act - and if that means - correctness is applied so be it. Just think how - people perceive thse chants - is it acceptable ? - NO, whether at Hampden, CP, Ibrox, the San Siro or anywhere else. I'm sure you are a good person and not racist, but sometimes even good people need to examine their own behaviour - it does not make then bad - as much, many of these problems are deeply engrained from both a cultural and instiutional perspective. However, it does NOT make it right.

Together, we can all - as UEFA submit - "Show Racism the Red Card" - that is correct and principled. However, it does not mean I love my country any less and wish our ex gers manager and our players the very best.

You seem to be at an entirely different side of the spectrum from me so im going to bow out of this thread.

As I said before the PC brigade are ruining this country, you cant even breathe without someone calling you a racist.

I respect your point of view but I dont agree with it.

Utter Pish.

dado i have been to scotland games where some of the fans have abused rangers players all the way through and called our captain every name under the sun and i have been threatened by some of them for sticking up for the rangers players that why i will never go back.

Are you having a laugh? Ibrox is just as bad at times and they are our own players! :lol:

Hear, hear. Decent people all realise this. However, there are some who only wish to apply such rules and views when it suits and to meet their own agenda. That in my opinion as a moderate person is - undemocratic, unfair, unequal, inconsistent and downright discrminatory. That would never stand in a court of law, however, just imagine if some of these people were on the bench - it would be the gallows for all - unless you danced and coerced with the devil !!!!!

Utter Pish.

dado i have been to Rangers games where some of the fans have abused rangers players all the way through and called our captain every name under the sun and i have been threatened by some of them for sticking up for the rangers players

Edited that for you Minstral :P

Utter Pish.

Are you having a laugh? Ibrox is just as bad at times and they are our own players! :lol:

your right dado i never thought of it that way i like you,as you always tell it the way it is wish there were more like you. (tu)

Utter Pish.

your right dado i never thought of it that way i like you,as you always tell it the way it is wish there were more like you. (tu)

Nothing like a good debate among fellow bears (beer2)

I used to follow a Scottish ice Hockey team and when we played in England we would do the Stand Up If You Hate England chant. Strangely, we never had a problem, indeed, it was usually met with laughter and good will by the home fans

IMO the real bigots are the ones who have an agenda and try to make out that this stuff is bigoted. Comparing this chant to FTP or Fenian Blood is just so wrong that I really am beginning to lose all hope for you and anyone else who feels the same

As far as i can see you are the only one who has compared "Stand up if you hate England" to FTP and the likes. What does that say?

So by your logic it would be perfectly acceptable for us all to stand up at Ibrox and shout "stand up if you hate Ireland"? Because really that is what you are saying.

I am not in favour of any sort of sectarian or racist chants, as you would know if you read any of my posts. But once again, just like th journos, you have managed to turn an argument which has nothing to do with our own problems into one which is somehow lnked to ours. Talk about having no hope for people.

Dado -

You seem to be at an entirely different side of the spectrum from me so im going to bow out of this thread.

As I said before the PC brigade are ruining this country, you cant even breathe without someone calling you a racist.

I respect your point of view but I dont agree with it.

DADO -

Firstly, thanks for acknowledging my posts and sometimes the "truth hurts", however, much of what I'm saying is - racism - engrained both culturally and institutionally. Sometimes even decent people - like you - do not know that their behaviour or views - can be perceived by others as being offensive. Correctness is right and justifiable in confronting antipathy and hate.

Secondly, it was Bl-iar's Labour Party regime who opened the floodgates for political correctness, however, they are equally the one's for allowing same to progress further than anticipated. Nonetheless, they are also the one's who have been last to see that, whilst on one hand they have supported the concept, they DO NOT - when it affects them. This is precisely the double standards and corrupt practices which need to be challenged. Transparency and equality for all - but, sadly only when it suits !!

Utter Pish.

think somones got the hots for dado haha

Utter Pish.

think somones got the hots for dado haha

dado is a good guy who will help anybody if they ask speaks his mind and very fair mod.on this forum.

As far as i can see you are the only one who has compared "Stand up if you hate England" to FTP and the likes. What does that say?

So by your logic it would be perfectly acceptable for us all to stand up at Ibrox and shout "stand up if you hate Ireland"? Because really that is what you are saying.

I am not in favour of any sort of sectarian or racist chants, as you would know if you read any of my posts. But once again, just like th journos, you have managed to turn an argument which has nothing to do with our own problems into one which is somehow lnked to ours. Talk about having no hope for people.

'

Because it is plain to see that your argument is driven by Rangers own problems. They are picking on us mammy, so we'll get them tae! So bloody childish. If Uefa hadn't targeted us and we were still able to sing the Billy Boys then this thread would not exist. You know it. The thread should be titled "Sour Grapes"

Again, it is a case where Rangers fans cannot defend their own actions so they try to deflect the blame by saying other teams do it too - if Celtic were playing today you would be glued to the box looking for any IRA references. Pathetic

Used to be a time when we would simply watch the football. Thats what I will be doing today, dont know about anyone else. I'll be cheering the country of my birth today - come on Scotland