Barry and the SP-Hell

laudrupforever

This debate on Ferguson fucks me off somewhat.

He's shite at going forward now cause he's pretty old. Despite the season where he scored quite a few goals (quite a few of them were pens) barry's best position is and always has been in the holding midfield role.

When he came back he played as box to box midfielder which is never where his strengths lay. When he was played in the holding role under McLeish he generally did well but he was surrounded by too many donkeys.

He's now relishing playing in his preferred position where he can dictate play again as he did for us when he first broke through. The boy is a class act despite his lack of form for us for the reason I've just written.

i find it funny when people say that the SPL has more hatchet men now than in say smiths first time here or even just before then souness/pre souness

there is no comparison, nowadays footballers CANNOT do what they used to be able to get away with, even if they are smart enough and good enough to do it

honestly, scotland used to have some right nasty bastards playing, its just that these guys could also play a wee bit

now we only think of the modern player as a hatchet man because he cannot do anything else

guys like iain ferguson, willie miller, butcher, hurlock, aitken, hell even united had a few like malpas etc

these guys would kick the utter shit out of the current SPL "hatchet men" but they could also play the game

I've always had Fergie down as a Pirlo type, a deep-lying playmaker who has an eye for a cracking pass

Lets get this right Fergie was a class act when he first came on the scene but once he returned from his time down south he was a different player, that could be argued that he was asked to do more for the team and to sit higher up the field where he isnt comfortable.

However his move to Birmingham has brought a new lease of life in him and I for one am happy to see him do well. In my eyes he was a great player and I will always remember his time here (tu)