When They Were Boys. Founders Research Latest.

TheMoonlighter

John and Jas Campbell who are mentioned in races were the brothers of our Founder Peter.

They both played for the Rangers during our early years.

You should be a politician as you have mastered the art of avoiding questions. However, a great find and another piece in the jigsaw of our great clubs origins.

Moonlighter - The Rangers played in my village, Mauchline back in the early days (1890's I think it was) in the Scottish Cup?

What's the chances of a pic ever being found of this momentous day for our village?

I think if you give the guys time i'm sure they will find something, They nearly always do. :)

We'd always hoped that our Founders knew each other before they came to Glasgow.

The confirmation was found last night, here they are aged 10 and 11 running in the Garelochhead Sports day in 1868.

Astonishing.

http://blog.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/wp/

If you send me a PM I can try and help to put you in touch with people in Garelochhead who have more records concerning our founders. Hand-written notes regarding their athletics and the like. One of the Church elders showed me an accounts book with information on their use of a village hall for example As a local, born and bred in Garelochhead, I am very grateful for the work you guys are doing on behalf of all supporters of The Rangers.

Here's Bendarroch Park in Garelochhead where the boys would have ran in the Annual Sports day and where the Rangers would have played in 1874.

24uzyte.jpg

I can see ma auld hoose! I'm proud to say I once captained Garelochhead to a famous cup-final victory over Kirkmichael of Helensburgh on that very pitch. Kirkmichael were the local scabby mick outfit.

Moonlighter - The Rangers played in my village, Mauchline back in the early days (1890's I think it was) in the Scottish Cup?

What's the chances of a pic ever being found of this momentous day for our village?

Even earlier than that my friend.

Scottish Cup Tie.

4th December 1876

Mauchline 0 v Rangers 3.

Rangers scorers were :

Sandy Marshall

James Watson

and our Founder Peter Campbell.

Here's the match report, second one down.

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/1876.html

All 3 scorers that day are pictured here in this team pic.

2hchylc.jpg

Rangers of course went on that season to contest our first ever Scottish Cup Final v Vale of Leven, the young Rangers took them to 3 matches. Vale eventually won 3-2.

Thanks Moonlighter - this is getting interesting.

One of the full backs in the Mauchline team is Hood...........................my name!

Think I'll need tae pay the local library a visit - though I widnae know where tae start with things like this.

I know relatives on my Fathers side did play Junior football, obviously not as far back as this but.........................................................?

One of the full backs in the Mauchline team is Hood...........................my name!

Think I'll need tae pay the local library a visit - though I widnae know where tae start with things like this.

I know relatives on my Fathers side did play Junior football, obviously not as far back as this but.........................................................?

It's a pleasure.

Just google what you can and ask at the desk of the library, then take it from there.

You'd be shocked to find out what's actually out there.

Let us know how you get on although if you need any assistance i'd be delighted to help.

Good luck.

A good starting point for you would be to locate the field where the game was played. Although don't assume that it'll be on the location of a current football ground, many locations have disappeared under housing developments etc since.

Ask at the local library for maps from the time ( many are on-line ) and take it from there.

Pin-pointing where our Founders played in your town would be thrilling for many i'm sure.